Author Topic: Graffiti  (Read 8721 times)

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Graffiti
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »
Well if they don't associate their Parkour training with their tagging, then whats the problem. Parkour is just the training mathod. If they are running away from the police, they are running away from the police. Not doing Parkour. And as far as I'm concerned, if someone who is tagging is running away from a cop, the last thing the cop will think is "Oh yeah, he's doing Parkour!"
Agree here, but it stills gives off a bad image, especially if parkour continues to grow in popularity.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
I will admit graffiti can be a form of art BUT it isn't in our best interest for a rogue traceur to tag other buildings and what not. Other individuals will sew it as a reflection of us.
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
I'd rather see a beautiful mural than a big grey wall on a freeway underpass.  My city tends to hire lame artists for murals.  Good graffiti on that beautifies public property is awesome.  The only graffiti I've ever seen on anyone's house is gang tags, which isn't art, but intimidation.

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
I agree with Brett more often than not what we see is someones tag saying I was here which mars the property. Good beautiful graffiti is rare. Most people don't wantto see any graffiti becace of I'll mannered taggars

Offline Hunter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
Whats really wierd is i saw that comment the other day on a parkour vid and i went apeshit and commented back telling him off and how it damages our image to the community but i also agree that to an extent it's an art but its also vandalism,tresspasing,and a few other things.anywayy.
I tried to send you something sexy, but the mailman made me get out of the mailbox.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
I'd rather see a beautiful mural than a big grey wall on a freeway underpass.  My city tends to hire lame artists for murals.  Good graffiti on that beautifies public property is awesome.  The only graffiti I've ever seen on anyone's house is gang tags, which isn't art, but intimidation.
Exactly. Most taggers wont go out and do this to peoples houses and what not. Big walls, bridges, etc. Its beautiful to look at sometimes.
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
I believe a good term here would be "Destruction of Property"
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
If you think graffiti is so great, why don't I tag your house up and see if your opinion changes.
Vandalism is vandalism, if a lot of people do this, more bad looks for parkour.
Instead of "hey, look at those traceurs doing parkour and training"
it'll be
"shit, look at those guys... they must be about to go steal/tag something.
unfortunately, we cant do anything about what people decide to do
David I agree with you, but if parkour continues to grow in popularity (which it looks like it will) and people start recognizing parkour. it could have a negative outlook

Thank you!

Common sense FTW!

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
Exactly. Most taggers wont go out and do this to peoples houses and what not. Big walls, bridges, etc. Its beautiful to look at sometimes.

Yes, but remember: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And in public property, the beholders are EVERYBODY. Public property is exactly that: What belongs to everyone.

And not everyone likes murals.

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
I know some guys who got busted doing it on a wall and got arrested; it was 10 at night and they thought it was a sanctioned graffiti wall because of how much it had already been tagged. They got forced to clean it off, lol.

In any case, here are my thoughts; It is similar to graffiti in that it is usually a form of self expression, and an art in itself. People complain about private property tagging, but who hasn't gone into private property once in a while? Mind you, you might not've known, and they usually do, but still. *Please don't take that word for word to cut me down, having trouble wording it D:*

I think most of the time it tends to be negative, but I've seen some amazing works of art in my area, and I think the majority of people would want Banksy to stop doing his work. I'm am, for the main part, in support of it.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
Let me explain myself even more on my opinion on this.

I support Banksy. I love the message he puts in his works. I support graffiti that has a message as well. If it's a poster or a mural or a sticker or anything that screams what the artist/writers believes in. If it's not useless tagging and gang graffiti and it makes the building, object, etc., more inviting or better looking then I say go ahead. I'm against the vandalism & gang side of it.

Blah it feels like I'm contradicting myself...
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
Let me explain myself even more on my opinion on this.

I support Banksy. I love the message he puts in his works. I support graffiti that has a message as well. If it's a poster or a mural or a sticker or anything that screams what the artist/writers believes in. If it's not useless tagging and gang graffiti and it makes the building, object, etc., more inviting or better looking then I say go ahead. I'm against the vandalism & gang side of it.

Blah it feels like I'm contradicting myself...

I understood that completely, and that is what I totally agree with. Writing a bunch of cuss-words and "this gang sucks dick" isn't art, but freeflowing expression and well thought out, deliberately designed pieces of time-consuming work are.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
Exactly my point.

I believe if traceurs/traceuses do the vandalism part of it, then it gives us, as a community, a bad image. But if it's a masterful, beautiful, amazing piece than I believe it shows that we are adding to the beauty of the billboard, wall, electrical box, etc.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
Yes, but remember: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And in public property, the beholders are EVERYBODY. Public property is exactly that: What belongs to everyone.

And not everyone likes murals.

Why is public property okay for traceurs to use, but not graffiti artists?  Are shoe marks on a wall really more beautiful than a nice graffiti piece? 

Art should push limits and boundaries.  There is no such thing as art everyone likes.  My town tries to put inoffensive art all over the place and guess what: no one likes it.  Plenty of people don't like parkour either, does their distaste override your right to train? 

No one here is arguing that all graffiti is awesome or that it should be allowed everywhere.  Several people keep saying "well why don't I tag your house then," but I already pointed out that it's extremely uncommon for that happen, barring gang tags, which we're all against. 

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 07:07:36 AM »
Why is public property okay for traceurs to use, but not graffiti artists?  Are shoe marks on a wall really more beautiful than a nice graffiti piece? 

Art should push limits and boundaries.  There is no such thing as art everyone likes.  My town tries to put inoffensive art all over the place and guess what: no one likes it.  Plenty of people don't like parkour either, does their distaste override your right to train? 

No one here is arguing that all graffiti is awesome or that it should be allowed everywhere.  Several people keep saying "well why don't I tag your house then," but I already pointed out that it's extremely uncommon for that happen, barring gang tags, which we're all against. 

I don't ever remember my shoe leaving a mark on a wall. But now I'm gonna go back and check haha!

Even if our shoes do leave marks, graffiti is MUCH more difficult to remove if people find it offensive or inappropriate.

So what if people don't like parkour. The beauty about it is that it leaves no trace. Graffiti - not so much.

If someone would say that they want to permanently alter/deface public property, I'd suggest that they get permission from the city.
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor

Offline Astrauk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
Unless you have permission or it's on your own property, graffiti is vandalism pure and simple, no argument against it.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
Unless you have permission or it's on your own property, graffiti is vandalism pure and simple, no argument against it.
Then why do traceurs trespass?

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »

DUDE

THEY DON'T!

I know I, for one train only where I'm allowed to, as it should be. And I'm VERY sure many people of our community do the same.

Parkour or no parkour, trespassing is wrong and against the law, and so is graffiti. (Unless of course you have permission or it's your own property).

Offline Astrauk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 02:38:31 PM »

Any traceur/traceuress that trespasses is commiting a crime, same as graffiti, we can't make them stop it's there descision.  Now trespassing without knowing it is different as a traceur might not know if it's private property, and if there told to leave I'm sure most would apologize and leave, people that do graffiti know it's wrong if you do it anywhere not on your own property unless you have permission.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 06:19:49 PM »
DUDE

THEY DON'T!

I know I, for one train only where I'm allowed to, as it should be. And I'm VERY sure many people of our community do the same.

Parkour or no parkour, trespassing is wrong and against the law, and so is graffiti. (Unless of course you have permission or it's your own property).
Lol. Ok. Is La Dam Du Lac familiar to any of you guys, as well as the guys over in England? They trespass all the time...admit it. We're guilty of it.

Any traceur/traceuress that trespasses is commiting a crime, same as graffiti, we can't make them stop it's there descision.  Now trespassing without knowing it is different as a traceur might not know if it's private property, and if there told to leave I'm sure most would apologize and leave, people that do graffiti know it's wrong if you do it anywhere not on your own property unless you have permission.

Trespassing without knowledge is STILL trespassing.

My Youtube(: