Author Topic: The Convenience Thread  (Read 897 times)

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
The Convenience Thread
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »
Hi, this thread is about how to prepare healthy food in a convenient way for traceurs, weightlifters, and in general anyone who browses the forum.

I'm making this because I feel that as a college student, i have really limited time and equipment to really spend time cooking, my diet isn't perfect, but it's way cleaner then before with more proteins and fats. I'm sure many of us have jobs/ school/ whatever, and there are probably many that live alone or cook alone, so that it might be harder to prepare food. Anyways, here are a couple of tips I came up with, and if you have any fast, easy ways to eat healthy food please post :)

1, Eggs are a super easy way to get protein, but personally I feel cooking them to be quite a hassle and you get sick of them, especially if you're eating them for breakfast and rushing for class, etc..
Easiest way to cook eggs imo is soft boil them. 5-6  minutes (depending on size of egg) from a room temperature pot of water on the stove, crack them open in a cup, scoop the whites from the shells, add salt/soy sauce and pepper, drink it in a couple of gulps.

They taste not bad too, trick is timing might be a problem at first, but once you get it, they're incredibly easy. No pots/pans to wash too.

2. Might seem obvious, but buy convenient fruits that don't require you to cut and aren't messy. Bananas are freaking amazing, high caloric content + virtually no hassle = win. Apples are great too, and grapes, strawberries etc etc. Oranges for example, are actually quite messy, as you have to cut them. If you peel them, they taste worse with all that white stuff and their juice will spray everywhere.

3. Pick vegetables that don't die quickly. Leafy things spoil so quick that I usually only buy what I am gonna use the next day, not to mention leafy things are in my opinion harder to prepare because you gotta wash them to get rid of the pesticides, etc etc.

Carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, broccoli are examples of vegetables that are easy to prepare and won't die on you as quickly.

4. For those who aren't lactose intolerant.. MILK! Unfortunately I can't drink more then a cup of milk without having diarrhea, but if i could I'd be drinking down that stuff like crazy, they're easy and full of healthy proteins and fats, again, if you aren't lactose intolerant.

Well, these are the stuff i got from personal experience from my first semester of (relatively) healthy eating.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: The Convenience Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
this is a pretty cool idea.  i have a few things i make regularly that fit into this catagory. ill post them later when i can.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »
1. Redbull and Ramen... :P

But seriously:

1.Bell peppers and chicken breast seasoned with lemon pepper, easy and takes about 7-10 min.

2.Protein shake, cup of milk and a scoop of powder and you've got a quick meal (don't get the sugary powder)

3.1 tbl. spoon. Peanutbutter and a glass of whole milk, easy and quick snack

4. Cucumber and seasoned salt, not filling but nutritional

I eat a lot of food.

Offline David M.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
Olive oil shots are very convenient and easy* if you're trying to get in extra calories.

*They're easy to drink but taste nasty so you don't want to do it. Sometimes makes it hard.
Quote from: Jim Wendler
Is what I'm doing awesome? If I ask myself that and the answer is no, then I don't do it

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
almost every morning i role out of bed and make a protein shake: 2 cups organic whole milk, 23g. chocolate whey.
after about an hour or so i saute 1/2 onion, 1,6 bell pepper, 1 large tomato, small handfull of mushrooms, and a couple carrots in about 1/5 stick of butter. once they are about 90% done i crack 5 or 6 free range eggs ontop and scramble it all together.  once done i add extra virgin olive oil and or coconut oil then enjoy!  it takes me about ten minutes.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe