Author Topic: Risks of taking fish oil?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Parkour Phreak

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Risks of taking fish oil?
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
I recently bought some triple strength fish oil from GNC and i've been taking it for about a week now. I was doing some research online and found this http://www.fishoilblog.com/fish-oil-pcb-contaminated-unsafe-safe-supplements.php. Im kind of afraid to take the GNC fish oil now because it said it was high in contaminates. I was just wondering what you guys think about it. And also if you could recommend a better brand to me if this is bad for me to take. The GNC stuff is really expensive and I don't want to just throw it out. But if you guys know of a cheaper and better brand that woulds be great.
"Amateurs train until they get it right.  Professionals train until they can't get it wrong".

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Risks of taking fish oil?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:46:50 AM »
i don't think there is much difference between the gnc stuff and the walmart stuff except about $15.   they both contain way less than most of us should be getting per day.  example: it says take three, but ten is more like it.     as for a better and cheaper source i would love to know as well
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
There's a lot of cheap oil out there that doesn't even mark the values of EPA/DHA independently.

The best stuff is the real oil.  Go to your local Vitamin Shoppe and just get a nice bottle of it.  Cheaper and more poignant.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:32 AM »
steven, do you take the recommended dose or do you take more?
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »
steven, do you take the recommended dose or do you take more?

I take a couple swigs. Recommended dose is all relative.

I can judge my inflammation in general by my fingernail and skin health in general... so if I know I'm going to be eating out I may take a bit more. All depends.

If you're gonna get that and havent ordered from iherb before I can get you a coupon for $5 off

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
that would be freakin awesome! 

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
Yeah, LOW052 for $5 off first order. I get like 3-4% back from what you purchase whichis nice. Put it in at checkout I think...

I use this:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Answer-Liquid-Omega-3-Deep-Sea-Fish-Oil-EPA-DHA-Natural-Orange-Flavor-16-fl-oz-480-ml/7908?at=0

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
I use this:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Answer-Liquid-Omega-3-Deep-Sea-Fish-Oil-EPA-DHA-Natural-Orange-Flavor-16-fl-oz-480-ml/7908?at=0

That's a sick price. Even better with 5 bucks off, and helping out a brother. When I get paid friday, I'll be ordering this.
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »
i just ordered two! ;D  thanks alot steven!