Author Topic: How Many?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Machete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How Many?
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »
I was just wondering, there are a lot of traceurs out there, but does anyone have a guess at how many there really are? Are there thousands, millions maybe? i was just wondering because so far, i know no other traceurs in my city. well, tell me if  you can.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: How Many?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:40:08 AM »
Thousands. Probably 50,000 worldwide if you count "one day traceurs" and probably 10,000 if you count people who really practice. just a guess of course.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:37:24 AM »
Thousands. Probably 50,000 worldwide if you count "one day traceurs" and probably 10,000 if you count people who really practice. just a guess of course.

Sounds like a good estimate. Out of our 40,000 person campus at UMCP, we have about probably 20-30 traceurs... and only about 15-25% show up to our jams. approximately 1 in 1000-2000. This is out of younger people though... the older population (30+) besides M2 isn't really involved that much in Parkour at all. Not counting children that are too young to do anything and such it probably amounts to the 1 in 100,000 which is about ~50,000 worldwide, less for the people who practice consistently. Fortunately, we are growing.

Of course, there's probably tens of millions easily that have heard with the vids out on youtube and google. Unfortunately, just like I try to recruit people to do gymnastics/Parkour/free running there's a lot of people who say they enjoy watching it *but* they could never do it even if they are interested in learning. A crock of BS in the purest form! Everyone had to start somewhere.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Machete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »
when i first saw parkour/freerunning videos on the internet, they seemed amazing, almost superhuman, i had no idea what it was, and i didn't even for a second think that I would be able to do half of what i saw in the videos i watched(Speed air man, dvinsk clan etc.) but then i realized that i had been training for parkour my whole life, climbing fences, trees, as a little kid i was always being yelled at for jumping on, off, or over something. i found tutorials, then well, i was hooked. after a few months i've been learning fast, getting stronger and faster and parkour has become part of my life, and im lovin it. ;D

Offline Machete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:18:54 AM »
and what percentage actually gets on sites, apk, uf etc.? i dought we can het a truely accurate prediction because i think that some traceurs dont even know that these sites even exist, just a though

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 04:32:33 PM »
There are a lot of things to attribute to a difficult calculation. Some people dont know that sites like this exist, some people signed up for the site, but dont activly train, some have mutilpe forum names, id guess that world wide, 30,000, but thats a guess, as all are. so, yeah.
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

dak

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
in my school there are 2500 kids, out of that there were 7 traceures, out of the 7 now theres only 3 that still do it, so my guess, theres not to many out there

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »
That sounds about right if you cound all of the one day traceurs and the "traceurs" (kids who jump around on weekends)
True traceurs worldwide, I'd say around 1000-2000.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
no way man.. definitely more than that..

I am pretty new, but I'm doing exercises and keeping myself active in parkour. I'm paying attention to all of the recent PK events and bettering my coordination as much as possible. I would consider someone a traceur only if they know alot about PK and try out much of what they learn. but that is MUCH more than just 1000-2000..
considering the fact that there are probably hundreds of videos out, some with more than one person involved... and most of the PK population doesn't record their jams. That would be a good example of proving it's more than that... but I would NEVER make a guess as to how many traceurs there really are..

and then there is the fact that there are 4644 members on the site... cut that in half or more and you still have more that 1000-2000, and that's just here. most of the french go to parkour.net, and the french are the originators of parkour. so there are probably plenty more people there than there are here.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »
most of the french go to parkour.net

Ahhh haa ha haah haaa haaa oh I can't breathe ahh bwahh haaa haaa haa

great, brilliant ... ow my stomach!!!

ahhh ha ha haaa

uhm, no.
 ;D
Be Useful.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »
That brings me to a question. What site's are out there for French practitioners? I have never stumbled upon a french only forum sight.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 08:01:33 PM »
There was an old parkour.com site awhile ago, alot of the lisses traceurs posted on it a few years back. The link still exists somewhere but I'd have to search around.
But the french dont have their own site, most of them train instead of speanding time on the internet. But the only international forum is parkour.net

btw M2, I've noticed the additude of parkour.net has been changing recently. It's becoming a much more respectable place I belive.
(atleast I hope so...lol)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »
yes, I've heard that they've taken on a friendlier attitude, which I think is great.
Be Useful.