Author Topic: Know Your Laws: Trespassing--Ask the Ace Attorney  (Read 8118 times)

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
Re: Know Your Laws: Trespassing--Ask the Ace Attorney
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »
Mr. Seaton, Esquire,

Why, in the first place, would a traceur be cited for trespassing while training on public, state-owned land (such as a park or university), a place where people train or do other physical activities such as ultimate frisbee, soccer, martial arts, and the like?

Are there particular uses deemed for properties owned and run by the state or city (ie. universities or parks), which would deem non-intended uses, such as Parkour, as a reason to cite for trespassing?

Assuming that no destruction to property, disturbing or endangering the general public, or any other laws are being broken, is trespassing the only obstacle for a traceur training in a public space aka the only thing they can get busted for?
Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.

Offline Shawn Yang

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Winter Gryphon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
Does a resident of, say, an old people's home have the right to force us to leave if we were training on their front staris type thing? Or does only a super have that kind of right?
Like Water shall we flow,
Like Wind shall we move,
Like Fire do we burn to run.

Offline Robert M.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »
I have a question.
Is it trespassing if I were to have something like a Parcube or other parkour items in the park and was off to myself or with a group in a clearing? Especially contrasting to a family that may bring their own grills, bikes etc. We both have our own materials and are using public property.

I'm rereading and feel like it may be confusing as stated. New wording: Does it become trespassing in a park because of my items being relatively unknown and foreign to my community compared to another group's items?
You move in 2d. I move in 3d.

Offline xuwenli200888

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
I have submitted an initial article for front page consideration that will hopefully be posted soon.  It covers the basic definition of trespassing and how it can affect you while training.  That being said, I would like to open the doors to you, the APK community,ed hardy clothes as far as the subject of trespassing is concerned.

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »
They should of known better....

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 03:07:52 AM »
I have submitted an initial article for front page consideration that will hopefully be posted soon.  It covers the basic definition of trespassing and how it can affect you while training.  That being said, I would like to open the doors to you, the APK community,ed hardy clothes as far as the subject of trespassing is concerned.

Hello spambot. 

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 03:08:20 AM »
They should of known better....

This is not a question.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline RadicalFacePlanter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 03:36:15 AM »
Hello, not a question in particular, but I dug up some information reguarding tresspassing which answered my question and some questions some others asked.

"
Knowedge
•The trespass laws in most states require that the trespasser have some level of knowledge that the property is private. Knowledge can be inferred due to a fence, some other marker, or posted "no trespassing" or "private property" signs. Other states require that, in the absence of knowledge that you are trespassing, you must actually cause damage to the property in order for the owner to recover damages from you. Knowledge is almost always required for criminal charges to be brought. "

Hope I'm not intruding (and not intending to make assumptions since your the attorney  ;D), just wanted to share some of my findings.

Offline Shawn Yang

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Winter Gryphon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 08:13:19 AM »
question:
would canadian laws differ from state laws?
:S
Like Wind shall we move,

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »
Thanks for all the questions, folks.  I've printed this entire thread off, and will start sifting through the questions. 

Because of time constraints (and because we preach efficiency here) I'm only going to be able to answer 10 of these.   Fear not--there's a lot of common themes that run through these questions, and I'm going to pick ten that will answer the most concerns as possible. 

Mods, if someone would lock this thread I'd appreciate it. 

Offline Robert M.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
Before the mods lock this thread, I just want to say thank you. Thanks for taking the time to address the subject. Thanks for taking time to get individual questions. Some people don't mix their business with their pleasure, but by doing this, you sort of are, and I want to say thanks for that as well.
You move in 2d. I move in 3d.

Offline Shawn Yang

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Winter Gryphon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
I agree
I also thank you for this
:D
Like Wind shall we move,

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Yes thank you very much.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
No problem folks.  Sorry there's been no posting as of the answers yet, I've been swamped at work. 

I will try to get to these this week.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

Offline pancakerz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »
OP is an attorney free runner eh? that's awesome!

by day he pushes pencils.
by night he pushes himself...to the limits.

Offline mikez195

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:34 PM »
we should stand up for our rights its a f#cking sport we deserve to train where eva where does it say no parkour/freerunning and its not like we damage anything a wall flip isnt gunna break ur brick wall god whats the world come to and idk they just always give me a warning and if cops come im training in parkour i get arrested then i will sew them for false charges because this shits bull crap we should b able to freerun and or do parkour where ever i feel like this will b a growing problem for us and end up becomeing very difficult to train because of the asshole laws

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
we should stand up for our rights its a f#cking sport we deserve to train where eva where does it say no parkour/freerunning and its not like we damage anything a wall flip isnt gunna break ur brick wall god whats the world come to and idk they just always give me a warning and if cops come im training in parkour i get arrested then i will sew them for false charges because this shits bull crap we should b able to freerun and or do parkour where ever i feel like this will b a growing problem for us and end up becomeing very difficult to train because of the asshole laws

Dude. Punctuation.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline slowbuildingclimber16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
If there isnt a no tresspassing sign for like a school but there is a fence and you get caught can u still go to court??