Author Topic: Team or Solo?  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Team or Solo?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
If you can't or won't train by yourself, you're training for the wrong reasons.

I agree with this, and Samz, DaveS, and Max. Solo training is a must. I don't mean that in the elitist way, but in the way that you're really missing out if you aren't training alone.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
I've seen lots of people debating on whether they prefer PK/FR in a team, or just solo.  So I just wanna hear your opinions.

Since I'm in a team, I think teams are the way to go.  If I never made a team, I wouldn't be at the skill level I am today.

Team = Together Everyone Achieves More :)

Imma deviate from everyone here and say this: it depends.  On you as a person.

That said, parkour is neither a spectator sport or a team activity, or at least not on any fundamental sense of the discipline.  When you're in a team you're doing it alone, and when you're by yourself you're doing it alone.  Whatever you like best is what you should do.

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
I'd say both. Training alone is good for the reasons everyone has mentioned and more. I do what I want, when I want to, at my pace, and there's no pressure to do anything. I have done jumps I wasn't exactly ready for because there were other people edging me on, it's a mistake I don't want to commit again. Training alone is essential for the clarity of purpose I have. I can say, "I want to barely be able to use my muscles when I get home," or, "I want to just do nice, easy movements today."

However, training in a group (not a team. The term team seems, to me, too... exclusive), is also great. There was a good point that was brought up, the yamakasi did develop this discipline together. Maybe pampering oneself to having others push the self harder during a conditioning exercise isn't ideal at all, but honestly, it gets stuff done. Besides, more important than pushing each other is the sense of community that is attained from just being with others that like to do what I do, that we know, as a fact, that we aren't alone in this. Not to downplay the validity of the forum community, but there's nothing like friends and allies that you can meet and talk to normally.

Whether someone does only "purposeful" movement or likes to add tricking into the mix, everyone should be able to train alone. It's also nice, for both cases, to train in a group. However, if one's training requires (keyword) the constant input of others, be it from partners, bystanders, or youtubers, then I do believe, like others have said, that they are training for the wrong reasons.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline michigancitypk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »
Team if you can, solo if there is no one else to freerun/do parkour with.

Offline Andrea.

• Patas
  • I look squished. >_<
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
I train alone the majority of the time, I have trained a few times with another club, I enjoyed it; but ultimately, I feel that training alone keeps me more focused.
Hug the awkward.
I lurk the forums.
Free spirited writer and traceuse.~

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »
You really need to consider at least having somebody nearby or being in a slightly populated area.  What it you get hurt and you're unable to get help?  Sure, someone might find you eventually, but by then it could be too late.  You could have lost a significant amount of blood or even sustain serious muscle or bone damage.  At the very least, you should have someone call to check up on you a few times at specified intervals to make sure you're still okay. 

Offline Jake Lessin

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
i 'd rather have a team but no such luck

Offline redoctober

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
I think that there are advantages and disadvantages, and times and places, for solo and group work. When I first started Parkour, it was just a friend and I, both beginners, and when I look back on that time now I realize that it was a waste. Not because we didn't have the right mindset, dedication, location, etc., but because we didn't have a community backing us. If we would have had someone with more experience to teach us, things would have went much faster. After about a year of Parkour I moved to a bigger city with a few experienced practitioners, and I started improving rapidly. They offered me knowledge, feedback, encouragement, and many other things. Having someone there to point out the little things you're doing wrong, things that most videos don't mention, is extremely helpful. Another advantage to being around people with more experience is that your eyes are opened. They will find runs and obstacles in places where you would have never thought to look for them. Its like you walk by the same place everyday, and think that nothing's there, but then someone shows you the possibilities, and you just can't unsee them. Even though I have a little more experience now, this is still happening for me. I recently had the chance to train with some of the WFPF at my regular training spots, and they found things that I had never seen.

There are also many advantages to solo work. Namely, you get more done. In the group setting everyone's watching everybody else, showing off, and playing little (unspoken) games of one-up. This is fun, but it's not the most effective path to improvement.

TL:DR

When you're first starting out find some more experienced traceurs to train with. It will help greatly. Once you've been given the tools needed to improve on your own, do so. But still train with others often, to foster a community that can help others learn.
"And if you insist on using (gloves), make sure they match your purse." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
They're both wonderful! It depends on what kind of mood I'm in;)
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Jordan159

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
solo all the way

Offline slowbuildingclimber16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
kids in my apartmaent complex dont like parkour...they dont know parkour...and they dont try parkour they just look at me like im wierd when I do it...so if there was a team I think it would be better cause your doing it as one and plus you can learn from each other!!