Author Topic: pop  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: pop
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
Not when its 100% juice.

If your juice has no sugars in it, I call fraud. Fruits have sugar in them.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
Not when its 100% juice.
Still very sugary. An 8 oz Naked Juice can have 40-60 grams of sugar for the whole bottle. Just go ahead and shoot yourself if you get the larger bottles.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 02:37:22 AM »
If your juice has no sugars in it, I call fraud. Fruits have sugar in them.
Exactly, also like I said. Everything is ok in moderation. Dont have a soda every week, maybe start with every 2 weeks, then every 3 weeks, then once a month, then only on occasions.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Brian Dayton

• Patas
  • It's always good to change your perspective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
Fruit juices have natural sugars, which are much healthier than anything in soda.  The problem with orange juice is that you can actually overdose on vitamin c.  Taking in more than 500 mg of vitamin c per day can cause diarrhea, gas, and stomach cramps at the very least.  It can also cause severe stomach cramps, nausea, and a higher risk for kidney stones.  An average glass of orange juice has more than 100 mg of vitamin c so you really should only drink one glass per day.
I'm gonna show you how great I am.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 05:43:40 AM »
Chris' lemon&water suggestion reminded me of something my Mom does. Instead of just a lemon though, add some orange and lime slices to a jug of water. It tastes awesome. Just be sure to toss the slices out after a few days.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »
Fruit juices have natural sugars, which are much healthier than anything in soda.  The problem with orange juice is that you can actually overdose on vitamin c.  Taking in more than 500 mg of vitamin c per day can cause diarrhea, gas, and stomach cramps at the very least.  It can also cause severe stomach cramps, nausea, and a higher risk for kidney stones.  An average glass of orange juice has more than 100 mg of vitamin c so you really should only drink one glass per day.

That Vitamin C effect is not well documented to my knowledge.  While I am not a fan of Vitamin C megadosing, its only ill effect is that it suppresses oxidation.

Sugar in orange juice is not much healhier because it is natural.  It is still such that causes massive insulin spikes in the quantities found in juices.

Fruit juices are a treat, like soda.  While the chemical processes to break down orange juice are slightly different than for sucrose or HFCS, the effect on the body is near the same, especially at the quantities found in juice.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
Drink mostly water. Problem solved.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »

It might seem blunt Super, but Steven knows what he is talking about. It might be hard at first to give it up, but after a little while you won't even think about drinking soda. Most of our diet is habit, IMO.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 08:50:10 AM »
If you do it for a while, you'd be surprised by just how much you'll begin to love water. I literally can't drink soda without my face scrunching up now. Outside of milk (SS), water is the only thing I drink.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
I actually had a Sierra-Mist for the first time in like several years... didn't even drink a fifth of the can. It just didn't appeal to me, and lemon-lime soda used to be my favorite.

Just saying, the hardest thing is the beginning. After a while, it's easy to stay away.

Same thing happened with me and candy. I highly prefer baby carrots (they are sweet!) and fruit over just about any candy. The artificial-chemical-ness is part of the issue for me and when I go back to try candy, it's just bleh.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
And milk
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
And milk

But wUt iF IM laCToSe iNToLerAnT?!?!?  :-Sarcasm

Haha, but seriously, not only do you see the improvements when you eat/drink healthier, but you also feel better physically (at least this has been the case for me). You will find that you feel more energized and well throughout the day :D

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
what about 100 percent juice
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
It's really not worth it. Make a glass of fresh-squeezed juice and get a glass of juice from a bottle, IMO fresh squeezed will always win in that fight. You might as well just eat the fruit anyways.

Eat fresh fruit, drink water and milk((if your body can handle it)).

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
what about 100 percent juice

Sugar in orange juice is not much healhier because it is natural.  It is still such that causes massive insulin spikes in the quantities found in juices.

Fruit juices are a treat, like soda.  While the chemical processes to break down orange juice are slightly different than for sucrose or HFCS, the effect on the body is near the same, especially at the quantities found in juice.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
i havn't had pop in probably 5 or 6 years and i don't ever feel like drinking it.  you can do it
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book