Author Topic: Opinons of training in the rain  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Opinons of training in the rain
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
It rained today where I live... it made me sad because when I would try to run I would start to slip... Plus I got soaked walking back from PT! XD

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 06:22:13 AM »
I love training in the rain. It puts a new spin on a sometimes boring routine. But If I dont feel like going out to train in the rain I just do a lot of conditioning inside :) But yes make sure you get used to the changes it gives to different surfaces before you do anything advanced.
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
Rain is just another obstacle.
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
ok since we're on the subject how would you approach parkour in the snow? I mean would you where something on your feet to keep from falling on ice?Or would you just have to be like everyone said and be even more careful?

Ice is fantastic for practicing balance and technique. My dad will go out on the ice and practice Tae Kwon Doe forms when he gets the chance. Because as Jordan said, if you can do it decently-well on ice, imagine how greatly you can do it on solid ground now.
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!

Pyrobyte

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
Fun, but stay away from diving vaults on wet surfaces and always check your surfaces.

Don't do big moves than can easily lead to injury. If possible, use "safety" variations of vaults.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
i need to get some weather proof gear, i dont usually train in the rain outside of the occasional summer rain. like everyone else said you just go slower. parkour DOES NOT HAVE TO include running speeds and large jumps with precarious landings. it can be as simple as walking speed turn vault dropping down into a cat hang and then to the ground.

i actually quite enjoy it when it happens to me. like i said i usually get caught out in it but, when it happens it is awesome. its really a completely different feeling. i truly enjoy it more so than regular parkour on some days.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »
Eh, I dont really agree with the whole benefits thing.  It limits what I can do. If I excersise alot of caution I can't perform to the fullest of my abilities. Slick surfaces are always unpredictable no matter how careful you are.

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
Went for a few runs in the rain this summer.  This is one of the videos my friend made of one run.  It's so much fun to train in the rain.  Just like a kid again playing.  Splash in puddles, get wet, enjoy yourself. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcHLFY5KDY
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
Went for a few runs in the rain this summer.  This is one of the videos my friend made of one run.  It's so much fun to train in the rain.  Just like a kid again playing.  Splash in puddles, get wet, enjoy yourself. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcHLFY5KDY

That's a pretty sweet video! I like the creativity and fluidity of the movement. Nice work :)

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I can do it on some surfaces. I will try to avoid the slippery railings as much as possible however.

Offline precisionrunner

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »
Since I live in an area that's damp 80 % of the time I've gotten used to training on wet surfaces. If your just getting used to slippery textures take it slow. No railingS. BAAAAAAD idea. I've had some really bad experiences with wet railings (including one time where I ended up literally "surfing" down the railing). Get to know how the surfaces feel when their wet and how your body and your footing is going to react when things get slippery. I find that it is really good practice because who says your going to get chased when its sunny out right? Might as well be prepared.
Train Hard, Stay Humble.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
Simply put.  Do it.  If you can do it when its wet and slick out then you can wile its dry.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline precisionrunner

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:23 PM »
Precisely. But for the love of God and all things still moving, don't kill yourself. Please...
Train Hard, Stay Humble.

Offline AmethystNix

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
haha Yeah i was wondering the same thing, cuz up here in WA it rains alot :/

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
to me, training in the rain is like restarting all over again, you have to get used to it, the rolls quad movements, techniques  everything, will you be able to do everything in the rain like precision no, maybe small ones know your limits esspecialy in the rain if you really want to learn on how to cope with your limits and saftey go train in the rain and i bet 100 percent you will think twice about doing something you will normally do. training in the rain all together though.....probably one of the best things you can do.