Author Topic: Competition anecdotes from camp  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Competition anecdotes from camp
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:43 AM »
So much discussion about competition and whether it's appropriate to parkour brought to mind two things which happened at a camp where I was a counselor.

First, there was a summer of "Waterfront Points". The waterfront was, obviously, the place where all the swimming / canoeing / whatever happened. One summer the counselors started awarding kids with Waterfront Points for doing good things like helping to clean up and the like--generally things the kids should have been doing anyway. Anyway, many kids strived for Waterfront Points, talked with each other about who had more, etc. The counselors on the other hand, didn't keep track at all. There was no record, no prizes, how many points were "awarded" was totally whim--point at a kid and say, "Good job! 3 Waterfront Points for you!"

Then there was a game which was played usually once per session. I wish I could remember the name. It was an implementation of a game from an old Mad magazine, so the rules were completely preposterous. There were three teams and it was vaguely soccer-like. The referees kept the rules in flux, and the game *always* ended in a tie. It was great fun. I still can't decide whether you'd consider it a "competitive" game or not.
less talk; less prep; less think; more do

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Competition anecdotes from camp
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
That's great.

I don't know who it's priginally attributed to, but there is a quote:

Men will die for points.

It is also well known in television production that you can have a "demostration" or "exhibition" and women will watch it. However you lose nearly the entire male audience unless a "score" of some sort if kept a nd a winner and losing can be decided.  Think of this next time you watch your favorite sitcom, then throw your TV out.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Competition anecdotes from camp
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:04:32 PM »
Think of this next time you watch your favorite sitcom, then throw your TV out.

NEVAR!!!
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.