Author Topic: Traceurs generally have the same things in common?  (Read 10903 times)

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
Traceurs generally have the same things in common?
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:23:59 AM »
Okay that may sound like a retarded title - I don't just mean stuff like 'oh well we all love running and jumping'.
I mean I've noticed and talked about before a LOT of my free runner friends have all of these in common.

-ADD or ADHD - usually untreated.
-Random as hell humor
-very intelligent, but the grades don't/didn't show it. generally lack of interest in school
-good at sports but dislike the rules (might not do school sports purely because of the rulebook for them)
 and a bunch of stuff like that.

Anything else you guys may have noticed, and do you think maybe finding people with these common traits may be a good way to find potential free running partners?
stuff others notice
-Really, really ridiculously good looking (Cornogg)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:24:39 AM by Dylan A »
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Nick Briseno

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Traceurs generally have the same things in common?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »
i think you just described me...
Do or Do not. There is no try.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
I was diagnosed in Kindergarten with severe ADHD. I never took a single med for it. I'm stronger for it.
I can be random, but I know when to turn it off.
I had very good grades and tested high. I had favorite and not favorite classes, but I understood the importance of school.
I don't have a problem with healthy competition, rules or organized sports.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I thought I'd give my experience.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:47:25 AM »
I was diagnosed in Kindergarten with severe ADHD. I never took a single med for it. I'm stronger for it.
I can be random, but I know when to turn it off.
I had very good grades and tested high. I had favorite and not favorite classes, but I understood the importance of school.
I don't have a problem with healthy competition, rules or organized sports.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I thought I'd give my experience.
Well, you weren't being a jerk, it didn't sound like it. :P

You do have
ADHD - untreated
Random humor
Intelligent

The only one my small list was rules in sports that you didn't compare to.l :P

Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »
I think you missed my point...

My ADHD was treated, just without medication.
Random humor, eh. Ok. I'll grant you that one.
I am intelligent, but my grades showed it.
I don't understand what you mean about the sports. Compare to what?

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »
masochism... IMHO
(dont believe me? ask apk chat -.-')

and of course, with the exception of eevee (not really), insanity
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
Thanks Kendall ;) <3

I think most of the "ADD/HD" cases you describe aren't untreated, it's just us wanting to explore. Curiosity does not equal a medical disorder.

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
Yes OP, you just about nailed it. That was one awesome observation. I check on all counts.

One more thing I'd like to add to that list (atleast I've seen it in 80% of the cases here in India) is that most traceurs are also die-hard F1 fans. If not F1 in particular, atleast motor racing fans. Never figured out why.

Pyrobyte

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
I'm all of the above, except my grades are good.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
One more thing I'd like to add to that list (atleast I've seen it in 80% of the cases here in India) is that most traceurs are also die-hard F1 fans. If not F1 in particular, atleast motor racing fans. Never figured out why.

The name of the hotel in Lisses from Project Pilgrimage is called "Formule 1 (Un)"

Perhaps that's the reason?

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »
Subliminal message?

Anyways, another problem with ADD/ADHD, is it's over-diagnosis. So, a healthy dose of curiosity is often shunned, which means that it often gets poured into an outlet((Parkour)) that let's them use it without restriction.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »
Subliminal message?

Anyways, another problem with ADD/ADHD, is it's over-diagnosis. So, a healthy dose of curiosity is often shunned, which means that it often gets poured into an outlet((Parkour)) that let's them use it without restriction.

Said better than I.

Offline Xander Gontier

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • GIR RULES!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/MidAir4
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 09:31:50 AM »
I...
A.)Have ADHD
B.)You don't even know how random I am.
C.)Am intelligent but my grades suck.
D.)I am good at sports,and I don't do school sports because of the rules and stuff.

Dude,<3,no homo.
Garggle my balls!

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »
I don't know about any deficit disorder on my end. I certainly can be ridiculously random, at least in my opinion. I also think myself to be intelligent, though my grades don't always keep up (school != education). Finally... we like sports and we don't care who knows....
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
You've described me as well.

I have been on medication for ADHD for about 1.5 years now. Mostly because I need it in my profession(law enforcement) and it wouldn't be a good idea for me to let my attention wander. However, since i've started up parkour, i've started slowly lowering my dosages without any problems. I am thinking that i'll have myself off of it completely within the next few months.

I dunno if i'd call my humor "random", but i've been forever tainted by my profession when it comes to that. Then again, that might make it even more random...

Everyone I know claims i'm a "genius", but i've never really considered myself to be one. I enjoy learning for learning's sake. I love to read. I'm good at reading people and their behaviors. The only class I ever had trouble with was math and that was because I just didn't like it. I never found it useful for anything other than school so I always did just enough to pass. My wife hates arguing with me because i'm a very logical person. She says it is impossible to win an argument against me.

I played basketball from 4th grade up until 11th. I enjoyed it, but I ended up quitting when I discovered martial arts.

As a side note, i'm beginning to think that my diagnosed "ADHD" is nothing more than my body telling me that I should be moving again like I used to.

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
Well, as much as I feel the descriptions fits me well, you can't really tell because a lot of things can seem to fit (like a fortune-teller or horoscope reading) that actually is pretty general attributes.

Nevertheless,
-ADD or ADHD - I think I have this. I can never take notes in class, and I tried really hard, but I still can't. I usually have to borrow friends before exams.
-Random as hell humor - not sure about this, but I think this can pretty much fit anyone
-very intelligent, but the grades don't/didn't show it. generally lack of interest in school -  I come from a society that places a high value in academic achievements, and have been pushed to study like crazy since I were a kid, however, I have always thought that the work i put in in high school is less then my peers, and I got good grades, not the best though. Now in college, I really don't see the point in studying for grades, but rather focus on learning, which in my opinion, often cause you to have lower grades.
-good at sports but dislike the rules - I'm not particularly good at sports, but I do play basketball a lot around 14-16. I don't know about the rules, but it's the competition and machoism among the guys then I don't like. Does that count?

Anyway interesting things you point out.

Offline Justin Conway

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
I don't have ADHD, however everything else described me. However what I noticed with a lot other traceurs is that we are fairly good with creating art. I am a very athletic person but the idea of competitive sports seem stupid to me. I've played football for 7 years and ever since I started parkour I've realized this.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »
I'm like Ryan, except I don't have ADHD. I like to think of myself as funny/random, but I had straight A's going through high school and now into college, and I played soccer and ice hockey all the time growing up...interesting observation, but I don't really fit the bill.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
-most tend to generally like flobots, atleast to SOME degree
-alot tend to be near the nerd/geek side
-we are all nice  :P

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
-most tend to generally like flobots, atleast to SOME degree
-alot tend to be near the nerd/geek side
-we are all nice  :P

Absolutely love Flobots.

Mhmm.

Debatable. Ask anyone.