Author Topic: Too many eggs?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Tyler Whalen

• Patas
    • View Profile
Too many eggs?
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »
I am eating a lot healthier lately and want to find something to replace crappy school cafeteria breakfasts with. I was thinking about making a bunch of hardboiled eggs and eating those before school everyday, but my dad said they have too much cholesterol and if I eat too much i'll get clogged arteries or something. So, how many eggs is too much?

Offline Robert M.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Too many eggs?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
Well, to my knowledge only the yolks contain the cholesterol. Even then, I would only consume 1 yolk if necessary and skip eggs altogether for the next meal. I don't include eggs in my diet, but when I did I didn't touch the yolk, or purchased a carton of egg white fluid. It felt really strange and uncomfortable POURING my egg into a skillet so I didn't buy another though.

PS: I may be wrong as the last time I had an egg was more than 4 months ago and egg white 3 months ago.
You move in 2d. I move in 3d.

Offline Jacob Scoville

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • PrintSquid
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
I eat 4 eggs every breakfast. Sometimes 5.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »
Well, to my knowledge only the yolks contain the cholesterol.

Most of this is wrong.  Please disregard it.  No offense intended.

There is nothing wrong with eating a lot of eggs.  Firstly, your father's fear is misplaced due to mainstream media.  The data that exists and has existed fr several years still hasn't come through.

1) Eating foods that are high in cholesterol has no causal link to high blood cholesterol levels.
2) Even if it did, high blood cholesterol's link to heart disease has been debunked several times in peer reviewed journals.  Better indicators of heart/CV disease are inflammation markers, NOT cholesterol markers.
3) When people DO have high cholesterol, reducing their blood cholesterol is show to NOT have a causal effect on reducing their risk of heart disease.

In short, nothing is wrong with cholesterol.  Eat your eggs and enjoy them.  Cooking them enhances protein absorption, too, so dont bother with that raw egg bullshit, either.

Offline Robert M.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
I've learned something in this topic as well. Thanks for your insight. Still don't like the taste, but now I won't think of the cholesterol at least.
You move in 2d. I move in 3d.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
If you're not allergic to them you're probably fine.

I know people who eat 8+ per day.

I try to eat at least 3 if not up to 6 per day.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Most of this is wrong.  Please disregard it.  No offense intended.

There is nothing wrong with eating a lot of eggs.  Firstly, your father's fear is misplaced due to mainstream media.  The data that exists and has existed fr several years still hasn't come through.

1) Eating foods that are high in cholesterol has no causal link to high blood cholesterol levels.
2) Even if it did, high blood cholesterol's link to heart disease has been debunked several times in peer reviewed journals.  Better indicators of heart/CV disease are inflammation markers, NOT cholesterol markers.
3) When people DO have high cholesterol, reducing their blood cholesterol is show to NOT have a causal effect on reducing their risk of heart disease.

In short, nothing is wrong with cholesterol.  Eat your eggs and enjoy them.  Cooking them enhances protein absorption, too, so dont bother with that raw egg bullshit, either.

Can you link me to some of the studies that show the things you said? I might be writing a paper about saturated fat/cholesterol and it's health effects for a class. Would be immensely helpful.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »
To do that I would just search google scholar and pubmed since I don't have the studies on hand.  I suggest you do the same.

http://scholar.google.com
http://www.pubmed.com

EDIT: Also, you may want to check out steve's article on EMI that has several references...

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/05/cardiovascular-disease-and-eating-right-the-facts/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:39:12 AM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Tyler Whalen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice