Author Topic: APK iPhone APP  (Read 11731 times)

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
APK iPhone APP
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:05:04 AM »
Okay, I have brought this up before but since then I have found out how to develop from my PC (and not a mac) and I have taken a couple tutorials. So without holding off any longer I have decided I would begin the research phase of my app which begins here =] I will ask a series of numbered questions. Try and answer all of them unless of course you don't like the idea =] then just answer the first.

Let's begin:

1. Does this app make sense for you?
2. Would you use this app on a regular basis?
3. Do you or someone you train with have access to an iPhone at all times?
4. Would you pay even $.99 for this app?
5. IF the app were to go in to development, what features would you like to see?
6. If you have thoughts or ideas, describe what you see when you picture an APK app as far as layout, color scheme, themes, and overall design.

Keep in mind, this will be my first major app. Unfortunately, because I am underpaid as it is, I may have to charge .99 because it costs $100 to become an app developer through apple. If you guys would absolutely be turned off by the idea of being charged .99 for an app please let me know in your answers. Be as detailed or as general as you want. I will begin th InDEV stage immediately but I will only be working with the programming and operations as of right now rather than the actualy design scheme. Thanks guys for any help and support you can offer. Hopefully I can get APK in on it and get a little financial support, but for right now I will work on the design so I have something to show them when they ask why they should help me out =]

~ Greg

UPDATE: 10/18/2010
Development of App using Flash has been halted indefinitely due to Apple's proprietary ways.
It's a shame yes, but not to worry, there are alternatives.
Because most of the app would have been online anyway, a webapp has gone inDev.

It doesn't have as many design options but it should have the same functionality in the end.

I am ALSO working on turning my desktop PC into a Mac using Hackint0sh. If I can accomplish this I will begin the inDev stage of a native iphone and ipod touch app.

But for now, you're stuck with a webapp. It may sound bad but you still have an icon and you can still launch it from the home screen. It just all takes place online. Screens to come!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:59:04 AM by Greg Davis »
I always face north, therefore I have no guides other than my body and mind. By always facing north I am always moving forward and up, regardless of the obstacle in my path.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: APK iPhone APP
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »
       Depending on what it does.
       Yes most likely
      I have an Ipod touch and where I train has campus wide wifi. I also wouldn't use it while training I would use it while planning or eating luch.
4. Would you pay even $.99 for this app? Yes

5. IF the app were to go in to development, what features would you like to see? APK tutorials, hot spot map for the traveling traceur, homepage access for articles, I would leave the forum out though. We don't want it to be like facebook. "I just bailed a kong lolz" No one wants that. If it's that important they can but the extra work of going to safari.   

6. If you have thoughts or ideas, describe what you see when you picture an APK app as far as layout, color scheme, themes, and overall design.
Yeah i don't have any design skills so next person

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 05:59:36 AM »
Well, I have to start with -

If it is an APK app or done through APK, then we need to discuss the business end of it separately.

Second, you haven't stated (in this thread anyway) what the app would do. Simply asking people what features it should have is a whole step behind saying "I'm making an app"

What do YOU feel the app should do?

Then I think people can answer the questions.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:37:38 AM »
hmm...

well then I would have to agree with most of what Patrick said.

And obviously the business end would come much later down the road after I have examples and everything to show you.

As far as the app goes it would have various sections (more than likely a lot of web links)
- Basically there would be a section for Tutorials that could link to the APK tutorials on YouTube
- There would be an inspiration section that could link to APKs YouTube channel
- There would be a forums button on the front, and while it won't allow you to update post or anything from inside the app it WOULD take you directly to the forums from the app rather than having to go through the extra trouble of opening up safari and making your way to the forums
- There would be a hotspot map where people can either pinpoint their location (using GPS) as a hotspot or type in the location directly. (this would more than likely be done with Google Maps)
- I would attempt to implement geotagged photos. People could take a photo of their training location and that would save a gps location (maybe on the hotspot map itself)
- Pages that show a clear definition of Parkour and Freerunning for when you need to explain it to someone
- An RSS feed from the front page of APK
- I would also like to add Push notifications so that you can get instant updates on new PMs and subscribed thread responses.

Essentially it would be APK wrapped up into a sleek little Iphonized package.

I personally knew what I wanted to do and I suppose it was selfish not to post my ideas first but I figured as people's ideas rolled out I would get more and more involved in the idea phase. I just figured I would find out what people's first response was. But anywho, that's my idea, and if you would like to have a further discussion of the business end feel free to email me or I will email you when I get closer to having an actual app.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:39:25 AM by Greg Davis »
I always face north, therefore I have no guides other than my body and mind. By always facing north I am always moving forward and up, regardless of the obstacle in my path.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »
OK, so it sounds like what you really want is a better mobile version of the website ...

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
Essentially yeah, I mean, an APK really wouldn't be an APK app if it wasn't the website in your palm.

It would just make accessing everything you do clean and organized rather than trying to browse Safari on your phone (which would eat battery life faster than a few clicks in an app)

the hopeful addition of the hotspot map would make it unique and at least make it worth while for some, but that will no doubt be the hardest part of this whole thing.

hopefully you support it... because you're kind of the one that counts here lol

UPDATE:

I got excited =P here's a springboard screeny

believe it or not, there is a little UI in that app, no it's not photoshopped =]

anywho, I won't show you the inside yet cuz it's not pretty... at all... and it's SO basic lol

just for fun =]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:46:50 AM by Greg Davis »

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:55 AM »
I really like the idea of accessing the forums, but not being able to post. So if someone needs some help, they can just search the forums! That's all Mark really wants anyways is people to search more ;) (which I fully agree with)

I also like the idea of implementation of hotspots map, but I think that should be seperate from APK's hotspot map. APK's map has smaller number of greeeeat places, what you're thinking is more of a larger list of people's opinions on good training spots. Maybe have the ability (using GPS) to put up a spot on the map that you find very great for training and a rating system of your opinion (1-5) on how good it is. You could then upload pictures and descriptions of what it's good for, some pros cons, etc.

That's what appeals to me the most is to have lots and lots of decent training spots, more flexibility. I support this idea and would pay a buck for it! ....if I had an iPhone :P
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »
Unfortunately, as much as I can try I am not quite sure there is a way to search the forums from the app. I could link to the search page but then it would be all to easy to login and just post. BUT if the button directly linked to the search page it may drive people to search rather than navigating through the login process and all. And believe me, posting on an iPhone is not a great experience lol I am doing it right now and the lag is awful (purely because APKs theme and such is a lot for mobile safari) anyway, I will search high and low for a dedicated search function. I like that idea a lot. I was thinking, if I had to have ads (blah) they could be non smoking, non narcotic ads. If it's gonna be free it'll have to be ad supported =/

Also, the hotspot map would be totally unrelated to the apk one. It would be completely based on gps and location although, for those with a touch or if you forget to connect while you're training it will have the ability to manually enter a location. And then, yes, add pictures, descriptions, and possibly ratings.

I want to say it could be similar to an app called foursquare. Users could "check in" at a hotspot which could in turn alert your friends, that you have added, of your location at that time. Obviously due to privacy issues this setting will be optional.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:26:31 AM by Greg Davis »

Offline Scags

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
   - Depends on the overall and final functions of it.
   - More than likely.
   - Not an iPhone, but an iPod.  It should be a universal App if your going through Apple.
   - If I saw what it provided as useful to me.
5. IF the app were to go in to development, what features would you like to see?
   - Hotspot map: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2383/398/
   - Inspire - Videos: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/4428/449/
   - Train - Exercises: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/5/25/386/
   - Train - WOTD: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/12/37/385/
   - Train - Tutorials: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/4/60/459/
   - Connect - My APK: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_comprofiler/Itemid,70/

- Layout wise: Something such as the youtube one: http://www.ipodtouch32gb.org/ipod-touch-32gb-4gen-you-tube.jpg
   - Color scheme: White, Light blue, black, and other various blues found on the forum.
   - Overall Design: Clean, easy to use, not rushed.

- I can make a small layout of what I personally think it should look like if you wish using photoshop.

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
Okay, I have brought this up before but since then I have found out how to develop from my PC (and not a mac) and I have taken a couple tutorials. So without holding off any longer I have decided I would begin the research phase of my app which begins here =] I will ask a series of numbered questions. Try and answer all of them unless of course you don't like the idea =] then just answer the first.

Let's begin:

Yes yes it does.
every single day i wake up
I take my iphone every where i go
HELL YES I WOULD
Forums, Articals, parkour dictionary, the whole train section, and some sections from the inspire section.
6. If you have thoughts or ideas, describe what you see when you picture an APK app as far as layout, color scheme, themes, and overall deseign
Just a plain blue background with apk on it for the icon

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »
Messed with the UI a bit. Here's a screeny:

The buttons will be fixed (they touch in the middle), and the edges will be fixed (the background doesn't fit the screen.

I will be adding more "depth" to the buttons with drop shadows and all.

Is this the color scheme you all or going for? The background is a fade from the exact color of the menu bar on APKs home page to white.

I will begin updating the first post soon so you won't have to scroll down all the time =]

Keep answering all of those questions. If I have people losing interest then I will cancel development.

Thanks again for your support and ideas. Keep them coming.

P.S. Scags, shoot me an email at gregpxc@yahoo.com with a Photoshop mockup. Just send me the psd. Also, make the subject noticeable like APK app Photoshop mockup or something lol. Thanks for helping out

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »
looks good so far bro ! :D

Offline Greg Davis

• Mangabey
  • MOpk Creator and Admin
    • View Profile
    • MOpk
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 06:31:02 AM »
Thanks! This won't be my first attempt. I'll make a few and have a vote or something. Also sending Photoshop mockups is not limited to Scags. Everyone is welcome send me some but the same rules apply. Just send me the psd file and make sure the subject is noticeable. Thanks again everyone!

Offline J. Howard31

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:37:51 AM »
Looks Great!  I would definitely pay the .99 cent.  The idea of the Hotspot map would be the greatest feature in my opinion, due to not knowing too many spots where i live.  But keep up the good work, and good luck!
Once you've lost all hope, your free to do anything.  -Fight Club

Offline Scags

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
I worked on my concept for it, please note anything can be changed.

Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Other stages of the app in early design.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:31:07 PM by Scags »

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
No offense Greg, but I reeeally like Scags artwork :P
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!

Offline Michael Mayer

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
Skags seems really sleek, it also would be awesome if this app let you record your workout of the day times, reps, etc.

Offline Jordan Davis

• Mangabey
  • Always Move Purposefully
    • View Profile
    • AMP Freerunning
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
dude. WHAT ABOUT ANDROID. lol.
I may not need one the mobile version is perfectly easy for my evo.
but if one came out, odds are i would buy it for .99 $
Parkour Coach

Guinness World Record Holder (Side Flip) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UEr0q2jWI

Certified Personal Trainer

-His Glory Alone-

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
bro im gona be honest if it does not have Forums on there then i dont think i will buy it.

Offline Christian Hall

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »

I haven't read everything and I'll c/p those questions later, but I'm going to be honest.

If it has tutorials and workouts, I'll buy it, as long as the price is not crazy.

Everything else will be a bonus.