Author Topic: steve's log  (Read 77649 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
steve's log
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:35:43 PM »
I've decided to start a training log here even though I also keep another training log on a different site namely the powerathletesmag forum. In conjunction with this decision I have also chosen to invest my time heavily into Parkour especially with our recent weekly meetings on Friday at the Univ. of Maryland and will probably take up Parkour, some type of CrossFit and maybe tricking once I graduate in the spring.

As for a little about me, I am a senior at the Univ. of Maryland. I have a rather extensive gymnastics background which includes about ~5 yrs from age 5-10 and am now in my 4th year on the Univ. of Maryland Gymkana Troupe. Although I've done gymnastics for a while, I didn't seriously start conditioning myself until approximately 1.5 years ago when I started performing on still rings again. I wish I had started conditioning earlier, but that's how the cookies crumble. I am approximately 5'8" and weigh 135 lbs.

My training, at the moment, is mostly geared towards gymnastics strength related skills or general upper body GPP. I do random tumbling on the side, but I use Parkour right now mostly as my lower body exercise. I have wanted to get out to the gym and go olympic lifting, but I have never really had the time this semester. Oh well. Anyway, with my log writing I usually list the exercises I do and the poundages if any. I will also usually draw an MS paint picture of the exercise if it is rather obscure.

About a year ago, I started to inform myself on how to exercise right. Even though I've been conditioning for about 6 months before that, I have learned a lot since then. Since I started informing myself the main move that I have been working on is the iron cross. Currently my training has been going on nearly a year, and the iron cross is about here. Well, I have it when I'm pumped with adrenaline, but I'm working towards doing it "cold turkey." I pretty much started from scratch on everything, so anything you see me doing now if you are a weakling you should be able to learn in less than a year given good motivation and working up to high conditioning levels. Here's my concurrent log if you want to browse back about a year to see what I was doing (and how my knowledge has progressed):
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=453

I posted a pretty good article about maximizing jumps and sprints in the general fitness forum also if people want to read that. I am also working on a rings exercise and progressive strength guide especially with my experience in training rings. I have an iron cross guide written up as well for anyone who wants to take a look at it (and it's much more realistic than the "4 weeks to iron cross PDF" I'm sure a lot of you have seen).

That's about it; let's get going with the training!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The workout I am doing currently is based on daily undulated periodization (DUP) protocol. Basically, this protocol does a variation of 3x a week workouts where you do a higher rep workout, a medium rep workout, and a low rep workout. The theory behind this is that based against most of the Russian periodized programs in the past, they failed in terms of developing overall ability over a macrocycle scale (training over a period of months). Basically, mesocycles (usually 5-6 weeks of training) were very effective in terms of putting up increasing poundages, but when they were restarted the cycle, their overall fitness for the first microcycles (a rep scheme over ~1-2 weeks), usually hypertrophy or strength, was very low. Thus, DUP overcomes that by doing a variety of rep schemes in a week which keeps the body engaged with both its fast and slow twitch muscle fibers. For example, a DUP routine I used in September was 3x10 Monday, 3x7 Wednesday and 3x4 Friday. Right now, I am kind of inbetween schemes since I do not have the time to workout on Wednesday... so I am trending towards 3x10 Monday, 3x5 Thursday and then some form of "endurance" work on Saturday.

For more information about DUP and periodization, check out this article series:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization1.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization2.php
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/periodization3.php

Anyway, on to the workout!

Cross pullouts +25 lbs: 3x5
one arm rows +25 lbs: 3x5
straddle FL (front lever) pullups +30 lbs: 3x5
pseudo planche PUs on rings: 5x5

Cross pullouts (with weight vest):

Rows (with one arm variety I obviously only use one arm and a weight vest):

Straddle FL pullups (variation with a weight vest based on Coach Sommer's article):
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Pseudo planche pushups on rings:

Today felt pretty good. I picked poundages that I felt would challenge me, and they did but also weren't exorbitantly hard. I am also thinking about doing a Saturday workout but mainly keeping it to bodyweight exercises like rings turned out dips, pullups and other exercises I haven't done in a while. Obviously, we'll see as usual.

Crosspulls felt really pretty good with the 25 pounders. I feel like I am progressing well here again. When I looked at the last workout I was actually pretty suprised that it was 3x10 with 15 pounds. This is a good improvement. Hopefully I can hit 3x10 with 20 pounds or so on Monday.

One arm rows also went up 10 pounds from Monday's 3x10 reps. Suprisingly these were actually easier then I expected. Again, I think I'm going to go with a full 20 lbs for 3x10 on Monday.

I modded to straddle FL pullups again from advanced tuck and actually increased the poundage by 10 lbs (again!), haha. These felt really pretty good as well although my straddle did deteriorate a bit over the last rep or so of each set.

Pseudos felt decently hard. After each of the 5 reps of each set I tried a 2 second hold which was very tough. These feel like they are improving my shoulder strength but not so much in terms of triceps strength. Meh, I still have to find something that will increase my triceps strength more.

Goals
~Solidify the iron cross
~Straddle planche consistently (long term planche)
~Front lever consistently
~Maltese (long term)
~Manna
~Flair to handstand on floor and pommel horse
~Federchenko (3 russians) on floor and pommel horse
~Increase vertical to over 42" (~currently about 30"-32")
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: steve's log
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 04:59:16 PM »
Trained today for 2 hours. Mainly worked on getting distance after my kongs, turn vaults, consecutive precisions, and dash/thief vaults. Also did a bit of work on my rolls since I still feel awkward doing a side roll when I'm used to regular dive rolls from gymnastics. A very good training sessions for all involved as well.

We have some relatively good traceurs at UMCP so we should try to put out a video sometime in the near future... now if only I could find a camara to use...

Goals (more gymnastics geared ATM)
~Solidify the iron cross
~Maltese (long term)
~Manna

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »
Went to Xtreme Acro for 1.5 hours today.

Worked on:
~getting distance after kongs again
~double kongs
~dash vaults
~rolls
~other misc. vault work

Achieved:
~Dive roll over blocks 6 ft high
~front wall flip

Now my shins hurt from 2 days of activity in a row. :( I've wanted to try the 'loser' wall flip for a while, and I finally got it on my third try. Also at the end I tried the dive roll over 6 feet of blocks and made it on my second try. It felt pretty good. In other news, my technique is coming along in terms of getting power at the end of my kongs to get distance after them. The dash vault came a long way from last night too where I wasn't doing so great with them. My rolls are getting smoother and more consistent as well. Overall, it was a really good session as I got a few new things and was able to improve in other areas.

~Solidify the iron cross
~Maltese (long term)
~Manna

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »
Cross pulls +20 lbs: 3x8
one arm rows +20 lbs: 3x10
pseudo planche PUs on rings: 3x10

Cross pulls were definitely difficult. I abbreviated it at 8 reps because 10 would have been failure and detrimental to the rest of the workout. It did feel really good to put up that amount of weight again though.

One arm rows were tough. I had to push through these with a bit of a kip on the final few. I think I need to start doing these with more frequency to get better at them quicker. If I am not too busy during practice on Wednesday, I think I will try to get a workout then. Meh, I keep saying that though.

Pseudo PL PUs felt pretty good. I honestly ran out of time so I had to cut this short.

I also did some RC exercises which are helping correct my shoulder imbalances still:

cuban presses: 15lbs 2x10
lying shoulder abduction to 45 deg: 15lbs 1x10, 20lbs 1x10
lying side external rotation: 15 lbs 2x10

In practice I've been working on a mainly rings, pommel horse, pbars and a bit of high bar. Focused on getting routines at the moment... Pretty much almost have my pommel horse routine down set. I have to work on my pbars, and my rings one will be complete with my cross. So were almost good for our first show on December 8th. If any of you are in the area and want to come it is at 5 PM on Dec. 8th in the gymnastics gym in the health and human performance building (HHP).

~Solidify the iron cross
~Maltese (long term)
~Manna

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
Felt pretty good today so kicked it into high gear.

Cross pulls: 1x8 bodyweight, 4x4 +35 lbs
Planche pushups w/ DBs @ 45 deg: 4x4 for 30, 32.5, 35, 35 lbs
One arm pullups (gravitron): 2x4 -36 lbs, 1x4 -40 lbs
DLs: 1x8 135 lbs, 1x4 225 lbs, 1x4 245 lbs

Cuban press: 1x8 12.5 lbs, 1x5 20 lbs
lying shoulder abduction to 45 deg: 1x8 12.5 lbs, 1x5 22.5 lbs
lying side external rotation: 1x8 12.5 lbs, 1x5 17.5 lbs

After I did my cross pulls I got kicked out of the gymnastics gym so I decided to take a trip to the weight room to finish up.

Cross pulls felt very good. The warmup was kind of awkward, but I settled into them pretty well and did 35 lbs 4x4. A marked improvement over the 3x8 with 20 lbs that I did on Monday. Next Monday I expect I *may* try 25 lbs, but most likely I will stick with 20 lbs so I can get a solid 3x10.

I was down in the weight room and decided to check to see how good the planche pushups were with actual weight. As you can see, I pyramided up a bit which was pretty cool. The last two sets were difficult but I did them. I tried to do these with active shoulders which means they were pushed out the whole time, and I didn't let them sag into the sockets. This is how the planche is supposed to be anyway. Felt decent -- it was more of a shoulder workout than the pseudo planche pushups have been. Pseudos and tuck planche pushups feel more of a triceps workout to me. I may have to make this a daily habit so I can build up more shoulder strength.

One arm pulls were meh. I expected to do better than this, but then again I haven't done any pullups in any workout for nearly 2 months. Thus, I am relatively deconditioned to any types of pullups. I did these in a hammer grip style (stupid gravitron), and it was after heavy crosspulls which both may have hindered me too. I don't really know what my 1 RM for this could be so I won't speculate with all these other factors. These were very tough though so I may have more work than I thought to get to them even though they are not a specific goal. :P My right arm seems to be about 2.5-5 lbs stronger than my left at the moment.

I thought about what other exercises I could do so I chose DLs since I haven't done them in a while and not much ever -- probably only maybe 5 times ever. Honestly, I should really practice what I preach more so I think I will make this a daily habit on Thursdays to go down to the gym and DL. I started simple with my bodyweight at 135 and it was easy. I've never tried anything over 210 before but I decided to man up and do 225 which I felt pretty good about. The main thing was that my hands were sweaty, and the freakin' gym doesn't allow chalk. Then I decided on an additional 20 pounds, and I must say this was pretty hard. My form suffered a little bit and my hands were about to slip off. Overall, a good session though. I'm relatively happy about it.

RC exercises are nice. My shoulders are feeling much healthier. This has been one of those weeks where I haven't gotten much sleep at all, BUT I have felt great especially in my shoulders. I will keep going down to the gym to do these with weight because I can add more poundage there than in the gym with makeshift weights.

Past 2 days before today have mainly been about getting routines so no specific strength training. The actual routines themselves require a fair amount of muscular endurance so that's about all I have been doing for them.

~Solidify the iron cross in progress
~Straddle planche consistently in progress [long term planche]
~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~Flair to handstand on floor and pommel horse in progress
~solid Federchenko (3 russians) on floor and pommel horse in progress

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »
Did about 1 hour of Parkour related drills outside today and then went to a gym fun night with my Gymkana troupe. I didn't actually really drill anything related to Parkour, but I did play around with some wall runs, kongs, dive rolls, dashes/thiefs and whatnot.

On a side note, I am majorly PISSED. Let me explain:

Usually our group here at Univ. Maryland College Park (UMCP) goes out for about 2 hours on Fridays to do Parkour. For the first few times we mainly just work on Parkour related stuff and it's all good. No flips, no big jumps, no non-efficient movements really. Alright, so a few weeks ago we get a traceur.. well more of a guy who can do a bunch of flips and he shows them off. No big deal. I'm fine with that since he seems to know what Parkour and Freerunning are all about, and we have a bunch in common. Even though I can flip and whatnot very easily from my gymnastics background I choose not to and usually just work on my Parkour skillset. We got talked to by the popo maybe once out of like 3-4 sessions, and it wasn't really major.

Today, however, was a different story. New kid shows up to our meeting. It just so happens that he's one of those "daredevil" kids. He's doing 10-15 foot drops without rolling, walking on rails 1.5 inches wide 30 feet above the ground, running across a ledge on top of the parking garage 40 feet off the ground, and other stupid shit like that. Hell, I don't even know if he's conditioned enough to take those type of drops or not; he may just be f#cking up his joints for later. Hell, his roll isn't even good from what I saw of it when he actually did it (not that mine is great, but when you're doing dumb stuff like he is you NEED a good one). Of course, pretty much all of the regulars latch on to his stupidity and follow suit doing more dumb shit in the 4 story parking garage we were in which has probably 1/4 of the camaras on campus. So basically after we exit the garage the popo are there and warn us about not doing stuff on campus EVER! Even the guy who regularly does flips was kind of in agreement with me from what I could tell. There's absolutely no reason to do dumb shit at heights like that which will get us warned and potentially barred from doing Parkour on campus. Obviously, it seems like our little group is more into Freerunning type stuff now.

Now, I suggested we apply for a club or some sort of a thing on campus so we can more "legally" do Parkour without the popo bothering us but I pretty much got shot down. One of the guys told me that they would never let a group climb up stuff and jump off buildings. Hello? No duh. I don't see a point in climbing up buildings and jumping off stuff. I just want to do Parkour with the minimum amount of flips, big drops, and other stupid stuff that people come up with. f#ck!

I think I may have to start going around to train by myself now if this keeps up.

/rant over

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~Increase vertical to over 42" (~currently about 30"-32") semi in progress
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:30:22 PM by Steven L »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:27:41 AM »
Decided to go with 8 reps today instead of 10. Hopefully this will cut down on the soreness I have been feeling after various previous workouts.

Cross pulls: 1x8 bodyweight, 3x8 +25 lbs
Tuck FL pullups: 3x8 +40 lbs
Planche pushups w/ DBs @ 45 deg: 3x8 30 lbs
Pistols: 1x8 25 lbs, 2x8 20 lbs

Cuban press: 1x8 10 lbs, 1x8 20 lbs
lying shoulder abduction to 45 deg: 1x8 10 lbs, 1x8 22.5 lbs
lying side external rotation: 1x8 10 lbs, 1x8 17.5 lbs

Crosspulls felt pretty good but were tough. I won't be able to get in a workout either Wednesday or Thursday because of Thanksgiving so I will have to come up with something else instead.

Tucked front lever pullups were hard but felt pretty solid. The last time I did these with this much weight was 3x4 with 40 lbs a while back and these felt about as good. Overall decent progress I suppose.

Planche pushups were moderate today. The first set was pretty easy, but the next two sets got a bit harder. I like these because I can go FULL range with the DBs so that they are almost even with my torso before I push them up into the planche position. It works the deltoids a lot be forcing them to be stretched way at the bottom of that position.

I haven't done leg exercises in a while and decided to do some pistols with weight. Last time I was doing these I think I got up to 40 lbs for a 3x4. These were pretty damn hard I must say, and it was evident as I had to drop down to a lower weight to finish up. I am guessing that since I haven't done these in a while like pullups that my body isn't used to them and so they're much harder than they should be. I will either probably stick with these and DLs or go with ATG squats and DLs. I haven't decided yet.

RC work is feeling good. I took basically what I did last Thursday and upped the reps from the 1x5 to 1x8 for the harder sets beyond the warmup. I also downgraded the warmups from 12.5 to 10 lbs. These are progressing rather nicely.

All around even though I haven't been gaining any weight, my body is actually becoming much more defined especially in my back I think due to the DLs. The heavy weight of the cross pulls are developing my pecs and lats a lot, and the one arm work with the rows and pullups are making my biceps bigger. My anterior shoulder muscles are still more prominent than my posterior though so that's why I'm still continuing with the RC stuff and going relatively light on the anterior exercises. Parkour has been defining my quads a bit and firming up my posterior chain. :P

Still haven't decided what to do about Parkour in terms of training if I should stay with the group or not...  :(

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~Increase vertical to over 42" (~currently about 30"-32") semi in progress

Kipup

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:15:08 PM »
Nice blog man.
Some good info, keep up the training!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
No practice today :(. Had to go to the gym instead. I went with one of my buddies from Gymkana who is actually a bit stronger than me on rings.

Planche pushups w/ DBs @ 45 deg: 3x5 pause 1s at top of each rep w/ 35 lbs
Maltese push to planche and repeat: 3x5 w/ 5s hold at end w/ 20 lbs
DLs: 1x8 135 lbs, 3x5 225 lbs
weighted dips: 1x8 bodyweight, 1x5 45 lbs, 1x5 70 lbs, 1x5 90 lbs, 1x7 100 lbs
pullups: 1x15
cable cross pulls: 4x5 60 lbs (6 setting = 60 lbs? tower didn't say weights)

Planche pushups felt pretty good today. These were pretty solid so I may upgrade to a heavier weight next time or try these at 3x8. My buddy was pushing these to about 35 degrees more towards a full planche.

Maltese push to planche and back down is an excellent exercise to work up to maltese. Unfortunately, I am pretty damn weak as I probably need 60-70 lbs DBs to actually hit a maltese... I'm so far off at 20 lbs. I did 15 lbs in the spring so it was a definitely improvement. My friend was able to do 25 lbs solid, and said he's done 30s before but he was a bit sore today.

DLs felt very good today. Did the 1x8 135 for warmup and then hit the 225 for a 3x5 which was pretty solid. I think I could've increased the weight to the 245 for a 3x5, but that's fine. I need to get used to DLing a lot before I go heavy all the time. My friend hasn't really ever done DLs before so he stuck with 135 for all 4 sets.

I wanted to max out my dips to about a 3 RM this next time I went to the gym. Last time I went to the gym I did 1x8 with 70 lbs which was in the spring. The first 3 sets were pretty easy so I decided to jump straight up to 90 lbs for a set of 5 which was also pretty easy, lol. I thought trying 100 lbs would max me out, but I just kept going and did 7 reps... failed on the 8th though. Next time I will skip right to 45 then 90 then probably 110 or something. My friend got up to 70 lbs for 8 reps (failure) never really having done weighted dips before; this was only my 4th or 5th time I think.

Uh, pullups are there just cause we thought we were going to do them but decided they were way too easy, so we tried to find a good sub for crosses instead. My friend was stronger in the cable cross pullouts than me. He pulled 7 for about 5 reps while I couldn't even budge the 7th setting. Sucks! We both did the 6th setting the last few sets which was difficult for me, but medium for him. He can hold a cross for about 8-10s though so obviously he has me beat still. :(

Overall a good workout I think. I thought dips would be maxed out, but I guess I'll have to do that next time. Fortunately, I AM stronger than my friend in 2 things not related to rings... dips and DLs, but he definitely owns me in the planches, maltese training and cross area. Bah, I need to work my butt off more to catch up to him. Vertical training is definitely going to continue with alternating workouts of pistols (maybe squats) and heavy DLs.

Parkouring will take place on Friday and Saturday I believe. Until then it should just be me stuffing my face and hopefully stretching some!

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~Increase vertical to over 42" (~currently about 30"-32") in progress
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:11:47 PM by Steven L »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 03:58:33 PM »
Did some parkour today for about 1.5-2 hrs with kipup, his roommate, and frosti since Xtreme Acro was closed. We did a bunch of drills and talked for a bit about college among other training techniques and stuff. It was fun.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »
Man Cross pull up!?!?  I can't even do a cross and I have a massic upper body!  What muscles does the cross work?
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 08:43:31 PM »
Man Cross pull up!?!?  I can't even do a cross and I have a massic upper body!  What muscles does the cross work?

Mainly the pecs and lats. As I've said before.. I'm going to try and get a rings training guide out soon for those of us who have rings to train on. They are a very effective tool to build strength if utilized correctly. You can do tons of things on them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I went to a wedding, and that was about it. I did, however, do some practice with precisions at the end of the wedding service on the church railings. :)

Our show is Friday, Dec 8th I believe so I am definitely going to train this coming week pretty hard... and then probably going to deload the last week with light conditioning for each of the days until the Friday show.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »
Next week is my show so I started to hash out a plan to get myself a solid cross by then hopefully.

Cross pullouts: 1x8 bodyweight, 1x5 20 lbs, 3x4 40 lbs
Lots of handstand work on chairs

Basically since I have taken a break from training over Thanksgiving, I know that doing a full workout will give me a serious bout of soreness which I don't need. Tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday are big training days so I need to avoid soreness as much as possible to perform well. I am already strong enough with all of my other areas of need except the cross that's why I chose to only do that today.

Cross pulls felt pretty good. I started off with bodyweight and started upping the weight. I thought I could do 40 lbs for 3 reps at least since I took a break off from training for about 5 full days and expected a lot of the fatigue from training for about 4-5 weeks in a row to dissipate. It did indeed and I was stronger than ever; I even modded my exercises so that I did 4 solid reps for 3 sets instead of the planned 3x3 at 40 lbs. Good progress. This week I will be focusing on these hopefully Wednesday, Friday and then the next Monday with very heavy weight at low reps to induce a high amount of CNS adapation and maximal strength increases. This will give me a solid 3-4 days to rest for the show on Friday.

Over the next week or so I will definitely do a lot of conditioning work to up my endurance so that I don't get tired after short bursts of activity. I haven't focused on this in a while for stuff like bodyweight dips, pullups, rows, etc. so I think this is a good way to go. Handstands, circles and swing to handstands on pbars are definitely going to get a lot of work hopefully.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »
Did a lot of routine work today. Pommels, rings and high bar routines are set. I am still working on my parallel bars routine.

15s rest in between each different set for both sets:
2x (25 dips, 20 rows)

A good endurance workout for upper body especially for parallel bars. I need to start doing more pommels endurance work as well. I struggle at the end of my routine because of this. Overall, decent day.

At practice tomorrow I need to do a full rings and pommels set so we'll see what happens with that.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 10:31:48 PM »
Today was a pretty good day!

First, I had to do a whole bunch of things for our basically almost full run through of our show. Vault, pommels, pyramids, rings, chairs and then strength was basically my list of things I did today. Also do high bar and pbars, but we weren't doing those tonight.

Vault was decent... tons of mainly running endurance with obviously vaulting. I'm mainly only in this act because they need people, but it's decent in terms of me enjoying it. It will help me with my explosive jump if nothing else.

My pommels routine today was excellent. I was a little off on everything, but I managed to pull through. Hopefully I can get a vid of it sometime and get it up for you all to see. It's basically: 2 circles, travel down, federchenko (russian 1080), turn to middle, scissors, 2 circles, flair, flair travel, handstand dismount.

Pyramids sucks. I'm in it because I'm subbing for another guy who got mono.. so hopefully I get out of it once he recovers fully. I get the fun job of climbing at 15 ft pole and doing a handstand at the top of it. No biggie though because that's easy.

Rings was solid today. I botched part of my routine BUT I hit my big skills. My double back off was a bit too powerful and overrotated a little but that can be corrected. My handstand was a bit shaky, but I did get the rings turned out and my arms locked out. My cross was the suprise highlight of my day; I haven't done any isometrics in pretty much about 2 months so I wondered how it was going to turn out... but I ended up with a SOLID 3s hold that was flat at 90 degrees. I could've gone only a bit longer if I wanted, although I'm not sure how much was adrenaline and how much was actually muscular strength. Meh, well I'm still pleased about it.

Chairs is interesting. We basically do handstands on chairs.. this year it's turning more into a semi-skit act. We have some cool stuff.. requires a fair bit of endurance in a handstand though. It's not my favorite thing to do, but it can be enjoyable.

Cross pullouts: 1x8 bodyweight, 1x4 20 lbs, 3x3 45 lbs

This was basically the only workout of the day, and pretty much the only one I had time for anyway before the gym closed. I increased the weight of the heaviest set from 40 lbs to 45 lbs amazingly.. and went from 3x4 to 3x3. The 3x3 today was actually pretty difficult, and I failed the first attempt but I got back up and tried again and made it.

Next workout on Friday I think will be 47.5 lbs for probably a 4x2, and then Monday we will finish up with 50 lbs with most likely 3x2.. and then ride the rest wave to Friday's show where I will bust out my cross for 5s.. hopefully. :)

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:34:01 PM by Steven L »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 12:39:41 PM »
Last night had tried another cross again and failed; I also barely made a pullout from about 2/3rds of a cross. Wasn't feeling too great this morning either, but when I did get to working out I felt pretty good.

Cross pulls: 1x8 bodyweight, 1x4 25 lbs, 2x3 47.5 lbs, 1x3 50 lbs

So I actually exceeded my expectations for the day here and did the last set at 50 lbs. I only had about 30-40 minutes so I just warmed up and did a couple of press handstands on rings and some jumping around on the trampoline. When I actually started, the first bodyweight stuff felt stiff and tired. However, after that things started to get better and more solid. The last 50 lbs felt REALLY heavy, but I made it through. This progress is definitely good.

I'll see where I'm at during practice on Monday. I am definitely expecting probably a 3x3 or maybe even a 4x3 at 50 lbs (if I'm lucky!) for cross pulls on Monday and then probably a nice break until the show on Friday with only general conditioning until then.

In other news, I think my cross and federchenko on pommels (goals) are almost solidified so I'm updating them with an "almost complete" which feels really good!

Parkour today for probably 2 hours or so. I am bringing one of my friends from Gymkana along so this should be interesting. I also hear a reporter from our school newspaper will be here as well, so I have been prepping on my Parkour history, what it is and isn't, and a lot of other stuff like that per Demon's article (nice timing there Demon :P). We'll see how that goes!

~Solidify the iron cross almost complete
~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~solid Federchenko (3 russians) on floor and pommel horse almost complete (pommels)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »
Routines felt pretty strong today.

Cross pulls: 1x8 bodyweight, 1x4 25 lbs, 3x3 50 lbs

rotator cuff work:
Cuban press: 1x8 12 lbs, 1x8 20 lbs, 1x5 25 lbs
lying shoulder abduction to 45 deg: 1x8 12 lbs, 1x8 20 lbs, 1x5 25 lbs
lying side external rotation: 1x8 12 lbs, 1x8 15 lbs, 1x5 20 lbs

These felt decent today. They were difficult, but I was able to make it through. Now all I have to do is general conditioning until the show on Friday, hehe. On another note, routines are going pretty well and my strength is up overall. This is awesome.

The Parkour thing on Friday went pretty well I think. There's going to be some follow-up stuff for pictures (which we will keep mainly to vaults and stuff) so we can also help edit any incorrect information if Parkour is going to be displayed incorrectly. I'll keep you guys updated.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
~solid Federchenko (3 russians) on floor and pommel horse almost complete (pommels)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
Worked mainly on routines today and some handstand stuff.

15s rest in between each different set for both sets:
2x (25 dips, 20 rows)

Also, worked on my standing front tucks up onto 1 ft block, and my back tucks up onto 2 ft block.. tried 2.5 ft block for the back tuck on Monday and I landed on my feet but then fell off. Sucked. Was quite a bit slower today I'm guessing because I didn't get a lot of sleep. Hopefully more powerful tomorrow to get these solid. Will also work on my beam back tuck as well after I finish up my routines.

Have been working some double kongs and dashes/thiefs and cashes as well with blocks in the gym. They're getting solid, and I think I could at least do a few over cars.. maybe I'll try over my car after this semester is over :). The main trouble I feel taking them outside is just that usually the walls I find to try them on (especially double kongs) are not high enough. If the things are 3ft off the ground its much harder to do than if they're 4 ft off the ground. I feel more comfortable doing stuff at a higher height for some odd reason probably because of vaulting in regular gymnastics. Need to work on changing my angle of impact so I can do stuff outside on shorter objects.

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:31:50 PM by Steven L »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 10:35:17 PM »
Lots of different stuff the past few days. Mainly have been doing routines and tons of handstand work for chairs. Past few days have been pretty hectic as well with presentations and papers so I didn't work out Wednesday, but did a lot of stuff during our 2.5 hr practice that taxed my physical abilities. Today I only got 2 hrs of sleep from a paper, so I decided to take a break off from conditioning again. I did a few pommels routine then a bunch of chairs work. Gonna definitely go to sleep in <30 minutes so I can get a nice 8-9 hours of sleep before school tomorrow and then the show at 5:30 PM.

If any of you want to come and are in the area it's a free show at the University of Maryland College Park:

Gymkana Mock Show
5:30 PM on Friday, Dec. 8th, 2006
Gymnastics Gym in the Health and Human Performance Building (HHP)

~Maltese [long term]
~Manna semi in progress

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »
Going to rewrite my iron cross guide probably within the next month or so from what I've learned over the past half a year. It is definitely going to have planned deloading weeks as well as different styles of training as you progress in strength.

Anyway, mock show was decent. I'll describe it a bit and maybe get some pictures up sometime in the future. Jim also was video taping a bit as were my parents and a few other people were taking pics so I should have something.

~Vault: Went pretty well. The criss crossing wasn't as tight as it could've been, but the act went well (and I did well).

~Chairs: Was OK. Besides one pose that I screwed up and fell out of the rest went over pretty smoothly. However, since one of our guys recently had mono, he wasn't able to do everything he was capable of so the overall quality was less than it could've been.

~High bar: Same old routine. It's pretty simple, and I hit so I'm pleased. Here's what is if you wanted to know (and know something about gymnastics): back uprise, clear hip circle to handstand, back giant, blind change, front giants, pirouette, back giants, flyaway

~Pbars: Total disaster. Screwed up one skill and hit my leg while at it too. Oh well. Here's what it was supposed to be: kip, circles, flairs, moy, top cast, giant to handstand, back off (or pirouette, back off). Instead crashed on the giant hopped back up and did back off.

~Pyramids: Went over decently. Was late getting out on the floor cause someone stole my costume, but the rest of the poses went pretty well with no mishaps.

~Rings: Another disaster IMO. Supposed to be: Inverted hang, dislocate, shoot to suppot, cross, inverted hang, back uprise to straddle-L,. press handstand, v-sit, cast double back. Ended up botching the back uprise to straddle-L and couldn't get anything going out of it so pretty crappy. I held the cross for about like 5-6 seconds though, but I had a slight bend in my arms which sucked. I should've corrected it since I felt like I could've held the cross much longer even after that amount of time. BAH.

~Pommels: Highlight of my day. HIT this routine solid. It is: circle, travel down, federchenko (russian 1080), cut to the middle, scissors, circles, flair, flair travel down, press handstand. Jim got an excellent clip of this so it may be up on the web soon.

Overall, it was decent I suppose. I hate screwing up anything more than 1 act so I was pissed, but I did some pretty solid stuff as well. Cross I am generally pleased about as I know I have the strength to hit a solid one with straight arms now... it's just a matter of doing it. Time to reevaluate some goals:

1. Therefore I give the cross a COMPLETE!
2. My federchenkos are solid on phorse most of the time so I am not giving it a complete yet, and I still have to work it on floor as well.
3. Since one of my goals is complete, I think I will add the next one in the cross progression to it -- butterfly cross (e.g. hanging from the rings pull straight to a cross). I am not sure if I want to start working this or maltese. My best guess is that I will start working the maltese a bit more and put butterfly cross on the back burner for now since it's a new goal and will take an absurd amount of time training to get (like the maltese too, heh). Starting maltese... and this will be good for straddle planche since the muscles used are related.
4. I do want to work the manna though so I will start doing more for that.
5. Flair to handstand will have to go to the back burner though because even though I do have what looks like to be a flair to handstand, it is really just a press to handstand after flairs. I need to train this to be solid, so I have pretty much no time to train the real flair to handstand. Meh.
6. I will still be training the cross to make myself even stronger at it because this strength is related specifically to front levers, back levers and a bit with maltese as well. However, it will be put on the back burner in terms of training specifically for a move (by having it first in a routine all the time).

~Solidify the iron cross complete!
~butterfly cross
~Maltese starting...
~Manna in progress