Author Topic: Need some advice/help.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Scags

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Need some advice/help.
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:05:46 AM »
I have just recently been trying to really get into Parkour more than I used to, I try to train daily aside from doing conditioning and just working out.  But some of the main problems I have encountered are physical and mental and I just need some help and advice on getting over them and what I should do.

Physical:
 - Biggest problem I have is my height, I am 18 years old and only 5'1.  It's not something I can control but I feel it puts me at a disadvantage for many types of movement.  Not to much I can do about this but I do try to follow that rule "If it's above head height don't do it" type of thing.  But a lot of stuff is just around head height if not higher. -.-

Mental:
 - Probably a lot more common but just in general it always seems like a bad idea to go and try to Kong over something.  It always seems like my feet are gonna clip the table or if I go to just jump towards something that my foot will just miss the top and I will hit my shin on a corner.

Do you guys have any tips on getting over mental barriers or at least videos that can show me an easier way to kong where my feet might not clip it.  All the videos I have seen just show the general movement which I can basically do.

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice/help.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
Have you ever seen Daniel Arroyo(King David)?

He's pretty short and one of the best in the world.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
Daniel Arroyo(King David)?

Not the same person ;)

Scags,

Physical:
 - Don't worry about rules like that. As long as you're being safe and exercising good judgement you'll be fine.

Mental:
 - We all have/had that at some point. This is where progression/repetition training is handy :). Let me know if you need more details!
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline James Jallen Allen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
It's actually generally good to be short except for wall climbs IMO.

Offline scott

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »
im the shortest member of my team and i can jump higher, run faster, adn do longer better wallruns just try to adapt to your size.
Any sound can shake the air, my voice shakes the heart. Any tree can drop an apple, but I'll drop the freakin moon.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Height isn't really much of an issue for Parkour.

There are at least two other currently active threads about mental blocks that you might find useful:

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30349.0.html
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30191.0.html

For the kong vault (cat pass) the solution is to lean forwards more and get your hips higher. If you try and stay upright and looking forwards it means your hips stay a lot lower and your feet stay lower than your hands.

Practice the technique on low obstacles and flat ground to get used to leaning forwards. If you start in press-up position you'll quickly notice just how far forwards you have to lean in order to do it. Once you get used to the idea of leaning forwards try galloping on all fours. :)
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »
Honestly, the only thing you can do with the height issue is suck it up. Find a different way to get up/over the same obstacle. Substitute a safety vault for a speed if a wall is too high. Settle for a wall climb instead of a long precision from wall to wall.

I'm 4'8 and almost 18.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:51 AM »
The best thing you can do about the height issue is find out who are the generally accepted founder of Parkour and Freerunning and see if you can get some physical stats on them :)  (really)

Thanks Dave for pointing out current threads!
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »
Have you ever seen Daniel Arroyo(King David)?

He's pretty short and one of the best in the world.

Doh!

Totally thought they were the same person, hah! Do they at least look alike? That would make me feel less stupid if they did...

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
Doh!

Totally thought they were the same person, hah! Do they at least look alike? That would make me feel less stupid if they did...

Maybe?
Daniel:

King:
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Scags

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys, and I usually don't let me height become a factor in things but I feel like it sometimes makes some movements and training hard.  But that's just more of a reason to train harder. :)

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
Maybe?
Daniel:

King:

...nope  :-[

Still feel stupid, lol. Oh well. Shit happens

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
I've always been known for being short... used to get me down. But let me tell you, I now know it's a blessing!!! I'm so light and agile because of it and, even if it's just mental, I feel light from it and it actually helps :)

As for fear, your brain will blow things way out of proportion. Worried about clipping eh? Analyze it. What is the worst that can happen? You'll find it isn't so bad. Do this with things if they are reeeeaaally getting you stuck. I was sprinting full tilt at a table to double kong it, plant the 1-2 step and on my 2nd step my foot slipped on the grass (I still don't know why), and I effectively close-lined into the table at my waist. Hurt like heck, for like a minute :P Bruised my leg but didn't stop me! It'll heal! Don't let fear control you!
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!