Author Topic: Alkaline Water?  (Read 899 times)

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Alkaline Water?
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »
I was at a local market yesterday and the owner gave me a little brochure on this stuff. Never heard of it before then.

I would think that if there had been any real scientific studies proving the worth of this stuff it would be pretty well known. Regardless, I won't be paying extra money for something that my sink gives me already...

I'm curious if anyone here has ever tried it?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Alkaline Water?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:37:51 AM »
What would changing the pH of water...... or anything........ do for you?

Your stomach is acidic and anything that goes down there gets acidified. Then it gets neutralized in the first part of the small intestine / duodenum with essentially baking soda (NaHCO3).

If you haven't guessed by now the answer is nothing. Changing the pH of something and eating or drinking it does nothing because your body does the same thing with it and won't process it any differently. Everything is the same pH in the stomach, and the same pH in the small intestine.

The only thing that is different are SPECIFIC coatings for drugs like enteric coated capsules that may get into the small intestine without getting dissolved by stomach acid.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:40:53 AM by Steven Low »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
Thanks for the info Mr. Low. I was hoping you'd see this topic.

Like I said, I won't be buying it. I know nothing about this type of stuff and it still didn't make any sense to me when she tried to explain it.

On the little brochure she handed me it was saying that by drinking their water you would essentially be making yourself immune to diseases of every kind. Cancer was their biggest claim. No shame...

What is really sad is that I know some people are going to show up to this little thing and invest in their water for the next 6 months.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
You should find someone who has cancer get them to get it and then sue them when it doesn't work.... heh. That'll put them out of business real fast
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book