Author Topic: New stop the bullshit campaign - Post Limits  (Read 11361 times)

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
Re: New stop the bullshit campaign - Post Limits
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »
What about this:

New members are under a probationary daily post limit, which expires [yielding unlimited posting privileges] after a certain length of time [days/weeks] or hours spent online. That way new people are encouraged to search and find answers as opposed to starting a new thread every time they have a question about kong vaults. On the other hand, it leaves the active community members with the ability to contribute as much as they see necessary. This could be supplemented with a temporary posting limit policy that can be dished out by admins/mods on a case-by-case basis.

Every solution will have its pros and cons. The pros to that are really high. It would for sure encourage newcomers to be more careful on what they post and hopefully have them develop a good habit of doing so. I just hope that it doesn't discourage newcomers from being a part of a community that puts limits on, because they may not understand the need right away. I support that suggestion completely...

...BUT...

...I see many active, older members doing some unnecessary posting/arguing. In fact probably more so than any newcomer I've seen. So while I think that solution is a great thing to implement, I don't think it's the only answer, I think more action needs to take place. Something on the end of automatic is perfect, but hard. I say if limits are to be put, limit to specific topics.

IE:

Movement, 1 post per day
Pics/Vids, 3 posts per day
General Discussion, 4 posts per day
Local Connections, Unlimitted

Something along those lines maybe?
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Dave I don't think they have started a mechanical way of limiting yet. He also said that it would be three useless posts. I have not seen a post of yours be useless so I don't think you have anything to worry about. You always contribute in a positive way to the discussion many people myself included sometimes do not. I think that this is a necessary to restore the quality of the forums that you provide but so few others do.  

And Andy that is a good idea but it's a little flawed. While that would help some people could just keep their page open all day long. I think that the mods should give a promotion for lack of a better word to people who you guys decide should privately with a pm that this person can post more.

Edit: Aside from this edit I have not posted anything useless for the last two day.   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:45:21 PM by Patrick Witbrod »

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
Every solution will have its pros and cons. The pros to that are really high. It would for sure encourage newcomers to be more careful on what they post and hopefully have them develop a good habit of doing so. I just hope that it doesn't discourage newcomers from being a part of a community that puts limits on, because they may not understand the need right away. I support that suggestion completely...

...BUT...

...I see many active, older members doing some unnecessary posting/arguing. In fact probably more so than any newcomer I've seen. So while I think that solution is a great thing to implement, I don't think it's the only answer, I think more action needs to take place. Something on the end of automatic is perfect, but hard. I say if limits are to be put, limit to specific topics.

IE:

Movement, 1 post per day
Pics/Vids, 3 posts per day
General Discussion, 4 posts per day
Local Connections, Unlimitted

Something along those lines maybe?

Good points.

As far as the board-specific limits, I definitely agree with Local being unlimited. The potential problem I see with your other numbers [like you mentioned: none of these solutions will be perfect] is when it comes to some situations like, say... Adam McC posting in Movement. He's quite a helpful guy and often keeps an eye on the roll threads in Movement. Limiting him to one post there per day will really take away from the positive influence he can have on the community.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
Yes, the real solution is not in a mechanical limit but in people posting thoughtfully. How about if we just try that?

I feel that acting as if you could only post three hings a day is a good measure to see if something is important enough to post or not.

I also feel that if the excess that people were posting was "positive encouragement" that I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Yes, Dave, the job of the moderators is to ensure the quality of the forum, but I think Evan means that we should not create more work for the moderators than necessary.

Exactly my thoughts Andy.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Andy, I agree that it's not good to overwork moderators, but moderating IS a job. It involves work. The idea of moderators isn't just to participate in discussions, but to enable them. As Mark is pointing out, contributing useful information should be the role of everyone, not just moderators.
If moderator activity has decreased then that's probably why the quality of discussion has also decreased. Forums need moderators, and you can't substitute an automatic post limit or any kind of fixed rule for real quality control. There is no quick fix. You don't get something for nothing.
If actual quality control isn't an option then whatever you try you won't get a perfect solution. I just generally prefer going for perfect solutions where possible.

Patrick, I know they haven't started it yet, I'm just pointing out that it's a flawed concept. The way I read it was that the rule about 3 posts per day would apply to everyone, not just problem people.
If it would only be applied to the people that post useless stuff then that's effectively what I was suggesting; penalize frivolity, not quantity.

Mark, that might work, but then again, why complicate things imaginary post limits? Why not just say 'Post only useful things'? :)
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »
Dave, are you suggesting to have more moderators?

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
Yes, the real solution is not in a mechanical limit but in people posting thoughtfully. How about if we just try that?

I feel that acting as if you could only post three hings a day is a good measure to see if something is important enough to post or not.

I also feel that if the excess that people were posting was "positive encouragement" that I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

i say we take M2's advice and start thinking before we post, and try to get some of the random irrelevant bullshit out.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
Evan, I'm suggesting that the best solution is more quality control.
If having more moderators would help with this then sure, consider having more moderators. Or alternatively current moderators could do more work.
If neither of those are possible, think up another way to improve quality control that involves less work.
If that's not possible, do whatever you want, but quality isn't going to improve as much.

For the record, I'm currently on 6 posts in slightly over 2 hours.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:24:22 PM by DaveS »
~ Dave

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
Dave - check my post, that IS what I said :)
Be Useful.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
I'm nearly always on the forum, but I really don't post unless I really want to voice my opinion, or if something just needs to be said or someone helped. Other than that, I just lurk, contributing when needed. It's always worked for me, and it should work just fine for everyone else as well. If we all try to post less with more meaning in our posts, our little corner of the internet will be a much nice place :)
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »
Dave I read oh lets me be honest with my self 70% of ALL the posts that are posted if not more.  By the end of the night My eyes burn.   :-Sarcasm  Getting a day or two behind can make this next to improbable to keep up.  But I do my best so does most of the other mods.  I know Andy reads his fair share too. 
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »
Guys, even this is f#cking out of hand, you have missed the point entirely. Stop posting unless what you are saying has meaning, these forums used to have real value, and all your useless bullshit has taken away that value. Starting now if I see you post more than three posts a day that are not all useful and relevant to people who want to learn and train in parkour and freerunning I'll ban you, how's that?

I like this.  Maybe a 3-strikes ban system: 1st offense = 72-hour ban, 2nd offense = 1 week ban, 3rd offense = permanent ban. I agree that useless posting is a problem.  I've definitely reduced the amount of time I spend on APK over the last year because of all the off-topic posting, the inane inside jokes, and other ridiculousness.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:24 AM »
I like this.  Maybe a 3-strikes ban system: 1st offense = 72-hour ban, 2nd offense = 1 week ban, 3rd offense = permanent ban. I agree that useless posting is a problem.  I've definitely reduced the amount of time I spend on APK over the last year because of all the off-topic posting, the inane inside jokes, and other ridiculousness.

I have suggested the infraction system to andy a while back when socialize got out of hand
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »
Mark, all I'm saying is that that's the best option, the best advice to give.
~ Dave

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »
OK Dave, you're right.
Be Useful.

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
M2...have you thought about going back to the old method? Locking the threads on weekends? I remember way back when and it worked. It gave me more motivation to actually get out there and train. Maybe thats what needs to be done...

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
M2...have you thought about going back to the old method? Locking the threads on weekends? I remember way back when and it worked. It gave me more motivation to actually get out there and train. Maybe thats what needs to be done...

2nd
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »
agreed with colby and fox
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »
Yeah, FSF suggested it to me a while ago - not sure why we didn't do it this summer- maybe we were all too busy out training to be worried about the forums :P
Be Useful.