Author Topic: I roll from my left shoulder. Uhh?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Blasian92

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • :D
    • View Profile
I roll from my left shoulder. Uhh?
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »
Hey everybody! Im new to doing parkour and today I went outside to just practice up on my rolls. Well to learn to do them correctly pretty much. Well i watched probably 15 different tutorial vids and everyone says roll from your right shoulder to your left lower back. And I tried that and i kept hitting my head and my shoulder would hurt....So for the hell of it I rolled from my left shoulder to the right part of my lower back and presto! It worked. I didnt hit anything.Bump anything.Hurt anything and I came out of my roll with an extreme amount of momentum! So I just have a question...Why in all the vids do the say from right to left and I do it from left to right? Im right handed...Im right side favoring. Right is never wrong. So why do I roll starting at the left? And is there anything wrong with it? Thanks! Im sure by the time I reply ill have a few more questions. :)
"Fear is normal. Fear is what makes us human...Overcoming our fears is what pushes us to make that leap and jump from that height only to land fearless and experienced"-Me

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
Re: I roll from my left shoulder. Uhh?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
DEAR GOD! I've tried to roll left for years man. More power to you. If it's smooth and clean and disperses impact, go for it, you're golden.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Nothing is wrong with what direction you roll over. Rolls are entirely up to your body. If that's how you roll comfortably, then train it. There are some pros who do roll on their left.

It would be better if later on, you trained your rolls on both sides. :) Train hard and safe.

Offline Blasian92

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
Ok sweet! And yeah man ill do that once i get really good at my left rolls ill work on my right. Ok few more questions just cause I dont wanna make another topic and waste space. When practicing a kong vault what im trying to vault should be about waist level correct?
"Fear is normal. Fear is what makes us human...Overcoming our fears is what pushes us to make that leap and jump from that height only to land fearless and experienced"-Me

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
Oh... I roll left shoulder pretty much all the time...
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline turbofeedus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
A parkour roll is martial art roll, we do the same rolls to warm up in aikido. it doesnt matter which shoulder you roll over. the idea behind the "right should left hip" is to make your body as spherical as possible. a sphere is the most efficient shape at changing vertical momentum to horizontal momentum, which is all a roll is meant to do. we practice both shoulders when we roll, theres no reason to force yourself to only roll one way

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
I can do a left side roll pretty well, but I don't think i'll ever get to the point that it feels as natural as my right side.

Hopefully you won't have to worry about that with your right side since you are right handed. Are you perhaps left foot dominant?

Offline Joel PK

• Patas
  • If you know you will, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »
A cool way to roll is what i've heard as a "push roll". Where at one point your legs are straight and at a 90 to your body, they push you over. This feels so comfortable to me but the pk roll feels more natural. The only thing that made me think bout this was that you said a sphere is the most efficient shape, which I agree with, but doesn't a "push roll" do a good job of changing momentum as well?
Any traceurs or freerunners who live in or near Jackson, MI?
Let's jam!

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »
Yeah bro, that's totally cool. Learn the concept of rolling on whatever side is best. And once you figure it out, train it on both sides. If you do better on your left, learn on your left! Absolutely nothing wrong with that. One of my students is just like you. She rolls on her left perfectly, but she's right handed. We just make the tutorials right to left because that's how the majority of people will roll best. But yeah, keep at it. Great job finding your own solution.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline PurpleParkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Well see, when i first began training 4 year ago, i watched dozens of roll tutorial videos, i wondered why my roll felt different than it looked on the video. I then realized that i was rolling on my left shoulder. I'm COMPLETELY left sided. I'm left handed, footed, shouldered, whatever. I don't ever use my right side but for training different vaults. Rolling from your left side is fine, there just hasn't been a left handed traceur that's made a tutorial yet!

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
ya same exact thing with me, i am right handed, i learned how to roll on my right side at first but it felt wierd and kind of uncomfortable so i tried me left shoulder and it felt great! it was as smoth as could be. i guess its just whatever feels best. :) ;)
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline josh

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »
Same here guys, I trained rolls on my right shoulder for the first year or so and then tried the left one day out of curiosity and found it felt better...

Offline Blasian92

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback and help you guys. It just feels so much more smooth and whatnot. Im glad there a few other people out there like me :D

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
Since you roll on your left shoulder, it probably means you tic tac with your left foot, jump with your right foot, and twist to the right. strangely only like 1/20 people are this way, the rest of the people are the complete opposite.
also, 76% of the statistics i use are made up on the spot......including this one.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Yusuf Abed

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »
Dont force urself to roll on your right then. Do whats most comfortable to you or ull end up messing up... Bad

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
but i think learning both ways is a good thing to know in case that something happends and you need to roll with your right shoulder when you usually roll left.
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.