Author Topic: Backflip: "Jump Straight up" "Don't lean back"  (Read 19490 times)

Offline imagi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Backflip: "Jump Straight up" "Don't lean back"
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »
I've been watching countless videos on youtube about backfliping,  visualizing, reading etc etc and finally got a friend to spot me.  So I have attempted :), just not able to do it yet. 

I've read countless time to jump straight up as high as you can.. but in every single video I always see them leaning backwards.  Take for example jujimufu's tutorial: http://www.trickstutorials.com/images/t_bflip6.jpg in this image his feet hasn't left the ground and he's already leaning backwards.  However, juji doesn't land in the same spot as he jumped.

In this video at 34 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzB2Rq9z2_0 , this person does a nice tutorial and shows the jumping part and you can see that there is a slight lean to his jump (which may indicate that I may be taking the straight up part too literally), though not as much and he does a perfect landing. 

I just wonder if i'm reading things differently than what the authors are trying to say.  It just bugs me how I read and see two different thigns.

And when doing the backflip, would it be ok to stall a bit at the peak (for the sake of getting the highest jump) of the jump and then tuck or would that just take away the momentum done by swing of arms? 

I think my biggest fear is trusting the physics of motion.  Is the technique of hanging on a pullup bar and swinging your knees to your chest a good drill of what is suppose to be done for a backflip per se?  (And I just recently found the video from your site for backflips and will try those also).

Thanks ahead of time to anyone willing to answer my questions. 

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
Re: Backflip: "Jump Straight up" "Don't lean back"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
Yeah, the whole "Stay straight!" thing doesn't work.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Chris Ell

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
  Well, your not supposed to go completely straight up, but you're also not supposed to lean so far back that your back is parallel to the ground. If 90 degrees is vertical and 180 is completely horizontal, then your take off should ideally be at about 105 degrees. Yes you should definitely stall at the peak and then tuck over. That's what gives you enough height to rotate and land cleanly.

Also, make sure you DO NOT tuck to your chest. You should really be extending your hips and acting like your going to knee yourself in the face. That's what shoots your momentum over your shoulders and propels you backwards in to your tuck. Hope I could help. Let me know how your attempts go.  :)
╔══════════════╗
Team Moist Productions
╚══════════════╝
-=Training Blog=-

Offline Yusuf Abed

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »
If they jump b4 the flip theyr prolly blocking

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
We gotta do a little physics to understand this. Then you'll understand the phrase.

First, we need to define what "leaning" is. Open a physics textbook, and it will say "leaning" is when your center of gravity is no longer overtop of your support. In the case of a human, our center of gravity is, depending on the individual, just above the waist, in the center of the body. So we can tilt our head forward, but so long as we keep our center of gravity overtop of our feet, we remain standing, and don't need to re-adjust by taking a step.

Okay, so how does this answer your question? When we say "jump straight up" and "don't lean back", you need to think of it in terms of your center of gravity. The waist, during a backflip, acts as the center of gravity and the center of rotation. It is your waist that must jump straight up, and it must not lean to the side. If your shoulders and head tilt backwards, that's typical. But you not land if your center of gravity or axis of rotation does not lift high enough. Look at your picture, and look at the video of the backflip tutorial again. Notice how while the head tilts back, the waist goes straight up and straight down. That is what ensures a clean flip. Make sense?

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
Adam is the closest to correct here. Yes, you DO jump straight up. Think of it like a spring compressing and expanding. Watch Sam Parham's tutorial: notice he lands where he takes off and doesn't lean back. The perceived "lean" is just the beginning of the rotation when the tuck starts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/3runTube#p/c/3C95A11A609D1317/11/loBAX58WQw4

The biggest issues that cause a back flip to fail when you jump straight instead of leaning back is closing the chest and weak tucking. By closing the chest, I mean closing the shoulders and essentially tucking your chest to your knees instead of knees to chest. Also, because the speed and tightness of the tuck control the speed of the rotation, if your tuck is weak/slow you will rotate slower and may not make it.

Keep working, best of luck!
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
Adam is the closest to correct here. Yes, you DO jump straight up. Think of it like a spring compressing and expanding. Watch Sam Parham's tutorial: notice he lands where he takes off and doesn't lean back. The perceived "lean" is just the beginning of the rotation when the tuck starts.

Exactly. In essence, he's saying the direction of the launch, or the jump, is straight up. Tilting of the body does occur once you're in the air. It has to, since it's going to tilt/rotate 360 degrees. But make sure the projection or direction of your jump is upward. That's the key, here.

•Urban Current Member

Offline dvdshulman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
when i do them i whip around at a low height, and when i tried to jump straight up i landed in the same spot i jumped in but in a crouch.  What i was doing wrong, was when i was at my peak, i brought my arms down a little bit to my legs and i lost a lot of my rotation.  Make sure ur not doing that cuz that will really mess with you.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
I've been watching countless videos on youtube about backfliping,  visualizing, reading etc etc and finally got a friend to spot me.  So I have attempted :), just not able to do it yet. 

I've read countless time to jump straight up as high as you can.. but in every single video I always see them leaning backwards. 

I just wonder if i'm reading things differently than what the authors are trying to say.  It just bugs me how I read and see two different thigns.

I think the misconception is a bit of what Adam and MT are saying, but also a bit of a simply exaggeration from the teacher's standpoint. You are told to jump straight up because if you ask someone to just do a backflip, they don't stop and think about what the best technique would be; they would most likely throw themselves back in hopes of achieving the flip (which hinders form, obviously). For this reason, when you are taught to do the backflip, you are told to jump up as high as you can. This will (first of all) give you lots of height, and (secondly) help you counteract your body's initial desire to go backwards. I don't the goal is to literally jump straight up, as Adam and MT said, the leaning occurs essentially uncontrollably in rotation. I think the goal of this method of teaching is to acquire the best possible initial leap.

And when doing the backflip, would it be ok to stall a bit at the peak (for the sake of getting the highest jump) of the jump and then tuck or would that just take away the momentum done by swing of arms? 

I think my biggest fear is trusting the physics of motion.  Is the technique of hanging on a pullup bar and swinging your knees to your chest a good drill of what is suppose to be done for a backflip per se?  (And I just recently found the video from your site for backflips and will try those also).

I think that, if you do stall at your peak, you need to worry about another component to the physics of motion: gravity. If you wait until you have already passed your peak to begin your tuck, you will have serious trouble in accomplishing the full rotation. You can try this idea at a gym onto a (very) squishy pad, but my instincts are telling me that you won't have enough time left in the air to come around. Your height in relation to time would produce a parabolic motion. If you wait until the maximum of this parabola to begin the tuck, then you are only falling, and your velocity towards the ground is only increasing. (I'm not saying that this won't work, I just feel personally that it would be both mentally and physically difficult)

Offline Brett Jackson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
this was a great discussion. I have a HORRIBLE habit of twisting to my right on a backflip, so i rotate over four feet sometimes. I was at the gym having some guys spot me, and they said i try to spot my landing over my right shoulder. IDK why i can't go straight over my spine to spot, i guess it's just a bad habit i need to break. If anyone else has this problem though, or did have, ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:00:21 AM by BrEdwin »
~~ "And David Belle said, 'Let there be life,' and there was Parkour."

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
its guts.  i pictured it over my shoulder blades but it doesnt matter.  once you go straight back, it isnt scary anymore

have a nice day

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
this was a great discussion. I have a HORRIBLE habit of twisting to my right on a backflip, so i rotate over four feet sometimes. I was at the gym having some guys spot me, and they said i try to spot my landing over my right shoulder. IDK why i can't go straight over my spine to spot, i guess it's just a bad habit i need to break. If anyone else has this problem though, or did have, ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

Don't try to spot the ground at all, until you're nearly finished rotating. Keep your eyes on the horizon ahead of you, as you jump. Then, at the top of your jump, bring your knees up and over your shoulders, pulling them in tight. At this point, you are still looking forward, through your legs. Then, let the rotation carry you around until bam, there you are looking at the ground, spotting where your feet are going to land. Whipping your head back, whether sideways or straight back, is not the best idea when learning the movement. You'll kip your height and your rotation.

My suggestion is to give this technique a try on the trampoline with a very light bounce so you can get the feel of that jumping up and watching the horizon, letting the rotation from your knees carry you around. Once you get the feel for it, take it to the ground with a spotter.

•Urban Current Member

Offline imagi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »
EHH, so I read the OP and I sound stupid  :o ..

Anyways, as a super slow learner, I managed to learn how to backflip.

Here's a vid of my most recent backflips..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFj-12wWGG8

I'm still having trouble as I'm always landing squatted... does it seem as though I'm tucking way too early?  It's been extremely hard for me to try to find that "optimal" height.  Any tips?

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:42 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFj-12wWGG8
I'm still having trouble as I'm always landing squatted... does it seem as though I'm tucking way too early?  It's been extremely hard for me to try to find that "optimal" height.  Any tips?
your set up is what's making you lose height
your stepping forward before you jump, and you slightly doing a gainer

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:09:11 PM by Grip »
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
He's flipping with his hips, which is good, but he's driving them over way too soon. Causing him to travel forward and for his knees to land in front of his toes.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline imagi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
your set up is what's making you lose height
your stepping forward before you jump, and you slightly doing a gainer

Yea, it's a habit i've developed, trying to get rid of it..
He's flipping with his hips, which is good, but he's driving them over way too soon. Causing him to travel forward and for his knees to land in front of his toes.

So I guess the only thing I can do is to just wait a bit longer before tucking?

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
Yea, it's a habit i've developed, trying to get rid of it..
So I guess the only thing I can do is to just wait a bit longer before tucking?
they're actually looking pretty good.  but YES wait a little bit longer.  throw your shoulders a little bit more and tuck at the TOP, not the way up.  then you'll have a really good backflip

have a nice day