Author Topic: what does it take  (Read 1412 times)

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
what does it take
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
for a discipline to be a holistic discipline? i know david belle never intended parkour to be one but, i feel as though he has stumbled upon the creation of one. he refers to it as "the way".

in some martial arts they say things like "kung fu is in every move we make, it is in how we treat people, view the world". i feel as though parkour (if you let it and want it to) is much like kung fu in this regard. instead of viewing the world as a set of obstacles we see a path with certain "things" that we need to overcome to get to point B.

those who train for life tell you that they want to be strong to be useful. not useful to themselves but, useful to those around them. it goes much deeper than just being able to resist the forces upon your body. being able to carry something for someone, being able to move a heavy rock or fallen tree of someone trapped underneath, being able to carry someone at a running pace to get them to safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgd20FPDKM&feature=related

at about 50 seconds in (and even the entire video) shows exactly what i mean. he uses his usefulness to carry a stroller down the stairs for a women struggling. he trained to be strong enough to be able to do this quickly and effectively.

training to be strong like this requires that you give your body the proper fuel so that you may function at your peak. strength means many things, strong heart, strong body and strong mind. all of these are parts of parkour, without them the discipline is empty movements until you reach the point where you understand what all this is for and about.

if you are missing one of these core elements you will inevitably fail with the rest of them. what does everyone else think? i put this in socialize so we are free to talk about what ever we need to but, if one of the mods decides this thread starts getting better i think it should be moved to general.

idk, just a thought. i think very deeply about parkour and what it could be even though i am not able to participate the way i wish i could just yet. if your mind is ready your body will eventually catch up.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
Re: what does it take
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
I think parkour can be applied outside if training. I agree that we look at stuff differently. I no longer see the world around me as filled with barriers so much as filled with obstacles to overcome.

I'll right a better post later, I'm on my iPod. Overall I agree with you max.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Jacob Chess

• Mangabey
  • Peace, Love, Sole.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
The kong, the muscle up, the simple vault. Do these movements not speak for themselves? The very nature of their being explains why and what we do.

Efficient, useful, graceful, natural movement.

Drill precisions, backflips, L-sits and at the end of the day when you can say, "I've worked hard for this." It becomes more than just a movement, it becomes part of the person. Holistic.

We call ourselves Human because of the interconnected parts creating a whole new phenomenon. This is also true to Parkour; A kong, a philosophy, a devotion it all are connected, but the beautiful thing is when it is used as a whole purpose and applied.

When I look at anyone. I don't look at single distinct features, but rather the collective features to one being. That is how we distinguish Jake from Max.

The word 'holistic' is simply what it is.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:17:25 PM by Jake Chess »
"There is no problem so big it cannot be run away from."

10 push-ups/post! ^^

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:01 AM »
Thank you for my daily motivation. Now I should resume my training.  :)

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »
I think parkour can be applied outside if training. I agree that we look at stuff differently. I no longer see the world around me as filled with barriers so much as filled with obstacles to overcome.

I'll right a better post later, I'm on my iPod. Overall I agree with you max.

exactly, parkour isnt the movements themselves, or the ability to link them together or the training we all go through to be able to do this with safety in mind. its the ability to reach your goal physically or mentally in the most suitable way. something as simple as lifting a box for someone to climbing into someones second story window to unlock their door.

i guess i was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what is needed for discipline to be whole.

Offline Jacob Chess

• Mangabey
  • Peace, Love, Sole.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:53:28 AM »
exactly, parkour isnt the movements themselves, or the ability to link them together or the training we all go through to be able to do this with safety in mind. its the ability to reach your goal physically or mentally in the most suitable way. something as simple as lifting a box for someone to climbing into someones second story window to unlock their door.

i guess i was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what is needed for discipline to be whole.

It must be fully applicable to the intentional purpose and extend to outside of it's original use.
"There is no problem so big it cannot be run away from."

10 push-ups/post! ^^

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
climbing into someones second story window to unlock their door.

Excellent reference.

Post later when I get a chance... Maybe.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
Resucing someone quickly and safely perhaps?

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
I'm now in love with that video.
Excellent post max!
I gotta go to a meeting for something but I'll post better when I get home ;)
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
Excellent reference.

Post later when I get a chance... Maybe.

got that from david belle in an interview he was in. he uses many decent examples, he said "it would be no problem for him if he trained the way i did. we should all be capable of such feats". (paraphrased the crap out of that one)

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I think that any physical activity that someone is wholly dedicated to will ALWAYS become holistic.

We are animals. We were meant to move. Most people just don't realize how completely intertwined our minds and our bodies are.

Once a person dedicates themselves to physical motion the way evolution has intended, they finally start to realize what it means to be a real human being.

These revelations naturally bleed over into all other aspects of their lives. It's like people are asleep at the wheel and finally waking up.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:38:21 PM »
I think that any physical activity that someone is wholly dedicated to will ALWAYS become holistic.

We are animals. We were meant to move. Most people just don't realize how completely intertwined our minds and our bodies are.

Once a person dedicates themselves to physical motion the way evolution has intended, they finally start to realize what it means to be a real human being.

These revelations naturally bleed over into all other aspects of their lives. It's like people are asleep at the wheel and finally waking up.
Building onto what you said.
In social studies today, we were watching a video of what early humans were like. These humans could climb trees in seconds, make tools with stones, and then use those tools to eat bone marrow.
Ok, the last two have nothing to do with anything... I just thought it was cool :P
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.