Author Topic: Soy Milk  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
Soy Milk
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Now, before I begin, I'm not one of them health food advocates or anything. It's just that I recently started Starting Strength and I realize how much Rip is telling people to drink milk. I tried that, but I realize I might be slightly lactose intolerant. I can only finish a quarter to half of gallon of milk a day, and I seem to have mild diarrhea since starting drinking a lot of milk.

The question is, can soy milk be effective for protein and growth as cow's milk? I don't care much about the lower fat content or anything else, I just want to know if I can drink a lot of it to keep up my protein levels for working out, the way Rip says it work for milk.

Just FYI, these aren't processed or anything, I've actually made them a couple of times back home with my family, you pretty much just ground the beans up, boil em and squish the crap out of them. Not that I mean to do it often, way too much work, but it is cheaply available where I'm from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_milk

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Soy Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
Its not even close to regular milk.  Sorry.

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
why though? out of curiosity.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:10:56 AM »
The c/p/f ratio is completely different in soy milk.  And there isn't even really that much protein in it.  Mind you, I think Asian soy milk is amazing, but it's a nice treat once in a blue moon.

If you want growth and are lactose intolerant (I am as well) just take whey shakes (isolates, as they're something like 99.9% lactose-free) and eat food for your carbs/fats post-workout.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »
The c/p/f ratio is completely different in soy milk.  And there isn't even really that much protein in it.  Mind you, I think Asian soy milk is amazing, but it's a nice treat once in a blue moon.

There is so much more than that...

Milk is a growth drink.  It is made by a mother animal for a baby animal that needs to grow.  I find it to be true that we do not yet know everything there is to know about milk and why it effects growth so well.

Milk has a positive effect on insulin sensitivity while causing an abnormally high insulin response.  It causes growth hormones like IGF-1 to soar as well in comparison to other foods.  It is true that milk is insanely nutrient dense but it is more true that the effects of milk go beyond a p/c/f ratio.  There is more to milk than we currently know - it is not "magic" but since we don't understand it fully we may as well call it magic for now.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Yes but, and I know this isn't the place to bring it up, what about the growth hormones given to cows so they produce more milk.  Wouldn't it be better just to keep some of that stuff out of your system. 
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
If you are worried about that then maybe you should just buy milk where the farmers do not use rBGH

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
Not really worried about it but I know some people are.  And they sell organic milk around here that doesn't need to be refrigerated till its been opened.  Any comments on that?  And why doesn't it need to be refrigerated?
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:27:56 AM »
Not really worried about it but I know some people are.  And they sell organic milk around here that doesn't need to be refrigerated till its been opened.  Any comments on that?  And why doesn't it need to be refrigerated?

Pasteurized and sealed properly, inside the container should be bacteria-free (and probably vacuum sealed too).  So if there are no bacteria to make the milk go sour, then the milk will not go sour, regardless of temperature.  I don't quite trust that though...

Just make sure your milk is pasteurized, there has been a rise of cases of Salmonella, E. Coli, and Listeria (bacteria that can be found in milk) in the last few years from unpasteurized milk gaining popularity.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
Just make sure your milk is pasteurized, there has been a rise of cases of Salmonella, E. Coli, and Listeria (bacteria that can be found in milk) in the last few years from unpasteurized milk gaining popularity.

I am not sure that you can say the link between raw milks popularity and those diseases is causal.  The meat industry has gotten more lax in recent years which means that these also raise Salmonella, E. Coli and Listeria...

Raw milk is actually pretty healthy when obtained from a high quality source.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
I am not sure that you can say the link between raw milks popularity and those diseases is causal.  The meat industry has gotten more lax in recent years which means that these also raise Salmonella, E. Coli and Listeria...

Raw milk is actually pretty healthy when obtained from a high quality source.

No doubt that raw milk is more nutritious, and is good advice to follow for oneself if you can find a good quality source, but telling the masses to do the same is setting up for more cases of it.  And I'm sure the meat industry could have a significant impact...  Oh wells, as the full health benefits of milk have yet to be completely understood (and the mechanisms therein involved), it is difficult to make an informed decision.