Author Topic: Problem with tricking  (Read 2074 times)

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
Problem with tricking
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
So I've been doing parkour at a serious level for nearly a year now, and honestly I'm starting to get bored of parkour. Not the discipline itself, just going out and training the same moves over and over is annoying, I want more of a challenge.

So I tried tricking before, and ended up failing at everything. I couldn't front flip, I can barley do a 540 kick, and I haven't tried anything else. As much as I want to get into tricking I have difficulties. So what I was wondering is: are there any progression exercises to get me ready for the basics of tricking? Like something I can easily incorporate into a daily routine? An other issue I'm having is that the town my college is in lacks any gym with an open gym night, so all my training will have to be outside on the grass.

An other question is, are front hand springs a good progression to learn a front flip?

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with tricking
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
practice your kicks make sure they are spot on. if you need assistance check out a buddy of min youtube.com/kwonkicker. also check out club540.com for info on a list of tricks  ;D
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Artisticflow87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
You wont really be able to walk into tricking as easily as you can parkour. Trickers are normally competent in both martial arts and tumbling based exercises.  Learn all the basic flips first and improve your flexibility and kicking, learn capoeira techniques as well as some break dancing variations for body control and once you get really good at all of that you will start being able to link/combos etc and advance to the more skilled techniques and then you will be doing tricking.
Front hand springs will not help your front flips but you should learn them anyways. Also with tricking you have to get used to getting in positions that are not comfortable, and progression will likely depend on how often you put yourself out of your comfort zone to just try new movements..

Offline Kyle Relliford

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
No offense to you Artisticflow but front hand springs did help me start to learn how to do front flips. Not so much the technique but getting use to using momentum to flip my body over and have it actually flip over. The technique is something you will eventually incorperate.
I never had a gym to train in either so learning front flpis is something i learned outside as well. When you first try it you will land on your back (as you probably have learned ) so i suggest that you find a soft grassy patch or even a school playground with sand or woodchips. I even found myselp going to a high school track and using their pole vaulting mats to do flips onto.   

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
If your getting bored of doing the same things over and over... parkour.. freerunning... tricking... any sport well they aren't for you.  Because at the root of all sports and disciplines is mindless repetition.  As any high school basketball player, or even the Marching Band.   Tricking wont be any different its even more repetition with more falling.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
If your getting bored of doing the same things over and over... parkour.. freerunning... tricking... any sport well they aren't for you.  Because at the root of all sports and disciplines is mindless repetition.  As any high school basketball player, or even the Marching Band.   Tricking wont be any different its even more repetition with more falling.
I believe you misunderstood me. I'm not getting bored of parkour per-se, I'm just looking for expansion on my interest. I love parkour! I'm even helping teaching it to people at my college, but I also want to incorporate tricking so I can get into freerunning. Take it that I'm expanding my horizons.

As for the rest of you, thanks for all the help. Keep it coming, I need all the help I can get. One idea I have for training wise, is to take my mattress off my bed and then flip onto it. haha

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
One thing Kyle what will help when you're getting board of the same old same old.  Go to a place which you feel has very little and stay there and try (and prefect) every thing you can find to do there.  Spend at least two three hours in that area looking for new movement new exercises.  Doing this can take you to a whole new level. 

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
One thing Kyle what will help when you're getting board of the same old same old.  Go to a place which you feel has very little and stay there and try (and prefect) every thing you can find to do there.  Spend at least two three hours in that area looking for new movement new exercises.  Doing this can take you to a whole new level. 
But that's not what I'm looking for. I've always wanted to try tricking, and now that I figure that I actually have the time and motivation I can really learn tricking this time around.

What you suggested was great for a parkour mindset, and I do do that (I mean I have an entire new city I live in now). But like I said, I want to expand my horizons. I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to work on one thing for his entire life, I love the adventure of trying new things, and then adapting all of them to my life style.

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Learning a back flip would probably be good, too... I've met people who never step foot in a gymnastics facility and could back tuck (mostly break dancers) and some other people I know that just used spotting to help people get their back flip down. Have a good spotter and with enough practice, you'll have it before you know it :)

But anyway... Jujimufu made an article that explained how to start getting into tricking. http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/start
Read "What tricks do I start with?" as he explains the 6 basic tricks to learn first. I don't trick, but a lot of tricking practitioners come to my gym.

Link to the tutorials to those basic tricks and more near the bottom: http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/tricks

Good luck, and train safe :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:15:29 PM by Streek »
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »
You wont really be able to walk into tricking as easily as you can parkour. Trickers are normally competent in both martial arts and tumbling based exercises.  Learn all the basic flips first and improve your flexibility and kicking, learn capoeira techniques as well as some break dancing variations for body control and once you get really good at all of that you will start being able to link/combos etc and advance to the more skilled techniques and then you will be doing tricking.
Front hand springs will not help your front flips but you should learn them anyways. Also with tricking you have to get used to getting in positions that are not comfortable, and progression will likely depend on how often you put yourself out of your comfort zone to just try new movements..

listen to this guy. he is clearly versed in the areas that are of interest to you.

Looking up some of the more basic tricking moves and perfecting the basic martial arts kicks will help you allot.

Also check out the following: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,24752.0.html

Focus on incorporating spins in both directions (both stepping and jumping); this will help you with your spatial awareness.

As far as getting bored you would have to be basically mindless in my opinion to not be. Progression and incorporating new moves and new places into your practice is essential to growth and sanity. by the time you learn everything in tricking PK and freerunning you will be too old to keep doing it, so why not keep progressing and learning new things.

Moving on to tricking and freerunning is perfectly natural and is the sign of a healthy practice.

Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
Wasn't trying to tell you not to do it Kyle.  Just wanted to explain myself and inspire.