Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 118657 times)

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: So I Wanna Know...What Made You Start Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
Okay pretty much I have no friends 

Do now  ;)

I spen hours on the computer everyday. did no school extra-curricular or anything. had a few friends, but never hung out with them.  I started noticing a little bit of weight gain.  I started doing a small pathetic workout in my dad's office.  One time some friends were looking up hackey-sack vids while I was doing pull-ups. They found a video called street running or something. became interested. I became obssessed with russian climbing, later to find out it was called Parkour. Became ecstatic when I found AmericanParkour. started WOD, and noticed extreme change in my fitness level. I have stayed motivated, obsessed, and training hard since then 8)

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Xiras

• Patas
  • rainbow dash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
Because I've done martial arts my while life, parkour/ free running just seemed like another discipline itself and once I truly got started it just felt so right; like I shouldve been doing it all along
MyLittleBrony

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
All are amazing replies. =D Also, it just got 20 replies. =D

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
Yes but at least five of them are internal discussion so five more stories.  :P
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
Re: So I Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
-waits for 5 stories-

Offline leftyPK

• Guenons
  • [LIИKIИ PARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
saw a video on it, then i watched some of the tutorial videos on simple vaults, so i vaulted over my couch a few times  :-X

looked it up a little more, learned some more stuff, and.... yeah

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Youtube

have a nice day

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
was trying to learn how to do a flip from youtube tutorials :P
then i saw parkour in the related vids
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »
Well here's how mine went down. WE all know urban ninja. That famous video. I saw that and was like cool... About a year or two later I met a friend he's like have you heard of freerunning? It's what the urban ninja guys does. We're both like "We should do this, but I'm not up for flips yet..." Next day September first he finds a David Belle video and says "This right here is parkour! This is what we're looking for." We looked up a little more then we went out and trained that day. Later that night I found out about HIPK and also about the jams. We started because it looked cool. We went to a jam and learned so much from it. Things like the mindset and the philosophy. After that we started getting into the mind set, started conditioning everyday. We'd go out and train everyday.

So basically I started because it looked cool, I stayed because of the philosophy.

And that's pretty much how I got into it.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Chelton

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 03:15:02 AM »
  I saw B13 ULTIMATUM, all the crazy movements and tricks made me be amazed. Firs I thought that i t was all fake, that it was all impossible.
 But a week later, at natgeo science of martial arts show I saw a guy doing the same kind of crazx jumps, so I was sure that it was all real and continueand watching the show. At the end of the show they said something like "this is parkour" so went directly to the pc and searched for parkour, and found the apk site, here is when all started.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 04:03:35 AM »
  I saw B13 ULTIMATUM, all the crazy movements and tricks made me be amazed. Firs I thought that i t was all fake, that it was all impossible.
 But a week later, at natgeo science of martial arts show I saw a guy doing the same kind of crazx jumps, so I was sure that it was all real and continueand watching the show. At the end of the show they said something like "this is parkour" so went directly to the pc and searched for parkour, and found the apk site, here is when all started.
Now that my friend, is truly amazing! and you may be interested in this shirt lol: http://www.zazzle.com/impossible_is_just_the_beginning_tshirt-235736012193877620

Offline Johnny Rottenkolber

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
Started in june, still new.Saw a game trailer(Brink) and said "Holy Sh*t I want to do that" And im geting better.
It's just a fence across the path
That were already ready to walk
Rock solid footsteps
Let 'em put up obstacles
And prove that it isn't possible
f#ck that
We don't give 'em any weight
True liberty and freedoms at stake
Peace will never become pass
Live my life until my last day

Offline woodsykris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »
My friend's family was in Alaska over the summer. One of her facebook posts talked about how her sons were going to watch their host family's son "freefun" at a park.  I was like, "what does it mean to 'freerun'?"  So I checked out wikipedia, which mentioned parkour and David Belle.  I searched youtube for David Belle. I watched all of the interviews with him I could find, was so intrigued by the philosophy. Somehow found APK, read around for a bit. Noticed how positive, friendly and welcoming the APK community is and thought PK might be the perfect family activity and the remedy to my previously feeling like I didn't have enough energy to keep up with my kids. So 2.5 months in, I *DO* have more energy and tons of fun playing with my kids at parks, and I don't feel like I need a nap every afternoon.  I've also lost 10 pounds since I started conditioning.  ;D 

Offline Euronin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
I started doing parkour after my bro sowed me this movie when I was 11:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2751400/www_wfpf_com_crazy_mix_doyle_ilabaca_king_david_turner/

Nooblet177

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
Me and my friend were walking around one day (about three monthsa ago) and we stopped at a park. He showed me something he called the sloth climb and said it was parkour. I kind of knew what parkour was but I only saw some thing on MTV about it. I thought it was all flipping. Anyway, I was so intereseted and he showed me some stuff on fence vaults...he called them rail hops. God, looking back he sure didnt know what he was talking about! After that day I youtubed many videos, learning, and studying. I trained frequently with my freind mentioned earlier. Our third training session he says to me, "  i've got parkour down now i'm going to free running".....ok, somethings not right there. What an ignoramus! He does not see the values of parkour and isnt very good. He wouldnt do it in front of people and he was scared of everything. Long story short, he stopped doing it and were not freinds anymore and I continue to train and improve!!

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
Me and my friend were walking around one day (about three monthsa ago) and we stopped at a park. He showed me something he called the sloth climb and said it was parkour. I kind of knew what parkour was but I only saw some thing on MTV about it. I thought it was all flipping. Anyway, I was so intereseted and he showed me some stuff on fence vaults...he called them rail hops. God, looking back he sure didnt know what he was talking about! After that day I youtubed many videos, learning, and studying. I trained frequently with my freind mentioned earlier. Our third training session he says to me, "  i've got parkour down now i'm going to free running".....ok, somethings not right there. What an ignoramus! He does not see the values of parkour and isnt very good. He wouldnt do it in front of people and he was scared of everything. Long story short, he stopped doing it and were not freinds anymore and I continue to train and improve!!
And so your name was...lol. Anyways, that's an interesting story. I value parkour a heckuva lot! But yet I still want to be a freerunner. If I threw in acrobatics and was able to do anything anywhere, not just needing obstacles, I think it would add in some fun because there aren't too many of them on my way to school (when I feel really energized for some reason) and I can only do realy sloppy cartwheels. ^_^ I know, I am so horrible I can't get that basic technique down. But I am getting closer every time.

Offline Shaun Andersen

• Mangabey
  • YouTube/TeamZeroGravityPK
    • View Profile
    • Zero Gravity Youtube Channel!
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
I was at a friends house and he was like " Alright lets go free running " and I had no idea what he was talking about.  After he showed and explained it, I got into it.  Now I have put together a Team of 5 of my friends and we love doing it.
Most recent video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkX_Bxv8b0

My Freerunning Crew is Zero Gravity.  Link up with us!-
www.YouTube.com/TeamZeroGravityPK

Like us on Facebook!-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Zero-Gravity/157938617554902

Offline Jacquis "Curfew"

• Mangabey
  • CSRD patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:33 AM »
One summer i was sittin on the computer bored and i went to youtube and decided to look up ninjas. I found the Urban Ninja vid and it just exploded from there. In the morning and afternoons I'd go out to the back porch and practice vaults on the short railing, do rolls in the grass and climb trees... ;D  awesome!

Offline yesman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »
I always did it sence I was a kid but then at 15 i learned it had a name so I trained harder in it and learned rolles, kongs, and flips. :) :) plus its fun to do with friends

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
I actually got started in 2nd and 3rd grade recesses in my old school in Mexico. Games like tag were very common, and so I was always trying to figure out how to get the drop on pursuers. Stuff like figuring out how to get up that ledge without banging my knee over it or jumping from slide to monkey bars over people chasing me. I only stopped moving around like that becuase middle school in the USA usually does away with recess. I got back to highschool, and I resumed running, jumping and climbing, and even figured out a way to get onto the school roof, although I was into skateboarding. Finally, winter of 9th grade, a friend was all like "dude, check this out. It's like skateboarding, but without the board." He showed me the Russian Ninja video. I wasn't too impressed, actually, but I decided I would look farther into it, found the Urban Freeflow site, and took a look at their vaulting tutorials. I learned that and wall runs, but was kind of still a skateboarder until I started joining training sessions with the people at overflux and they showed me how to train, and here I am. After that, skateboarding kind of faded out and parkour just flowed in. It was very subtle. I can't remember a time when I wasn't doing parkour, and yet I can't remember a time when I was. It's all just... there, it's really weird.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.