Author Topic: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?  (Read 134050 times)

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: So We Wanna Know...What Made You Start Doing Parkour/Freerunning?
« Reply #480 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:29 PM »
Hey Obstractized.
You should check out the Gorilla Traceurs on this forum. Might help you a bit, and also welcome to the wonderful world of parkouring.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Zany

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 27, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
Well I mean I always had a massive pool of energy and always liked moving in an environment in a maniacal manner, then I learned it was really a thing other people did, even grown men.

That and I really like to be in the air.

Offline JustSomeGuy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Devote to your tricks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »
Well, one day my cousin came to me and showed me a kong, I thought I was really cool so I just ran and did it first try, my cousin and I got inspired by a really good parkourist/free runner named Jessie La Flair, my cousin and I go to the city everyday and train, we can do a lot of things, people always watch us and are pretty amazed, we still have a lot to learn, but one day we are going to go to Tempest Free Running Academy down in LA and learn more, but our main goal is to just have fun, and hopefully soon get sponsored.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
ParkouristsTraceur is the word your looking for. parkourists is not a word.

Offline BlackrainParkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
I started training after I was being pressured into starting a sport by my family. I didn't want to practice football, or baseball, or anything, so I looked up fun sports on google. I found out that there was a parkour gym in my area, and I went to try it. long story short, I fell in love. Ive been training there and everywhere ever since.

Offline Rakeon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
Hey I'm new but I love to freerun and parkore but I got interduce to them by my uncle And I have been doing it ever sense I was 4 And now It's f#cking awsome. :) :) :)

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 31, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
I should probably write here too. I was introduced to parkour as a small kid, probably fourth grade, by a friend of mine. He is now my training partner. We and few other friends, who now don't or very rarely do parkour, were horizontal wall-running a turned to the side ping-pong table. At that age I did the great "no hand" vault, which is jumping, getting absolutely parallel to the obstacle and then getting to normal position. All this without touching the obstacle at all. After a while I lost interest in parkour, to regain it last year's summer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:19:53 AM by Alvendam »
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
At that age I did the great "no hand" vault, which is jumping, getting absolutely parallel to the obstacle and the getting to normal position.
thats awesome

Offline Lifeofparkour69

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
I always loved climbing and this is just a cooler, better felling way to channel my energy...

Offline Alvendam

• Patas
  • If I could fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »
thats awesome
It was accidental, though. I was going for a two-hand and you bet everyting, how surprised I was not to be on the ground after it. I haven't done it second time and I'm pretty sure it's impossible. :D
No fear, no pain
Nobody left to blame

My faith has grown
No fear of the unknown

Offline Luke Edwards

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
I saw some friends doing it so I decided too look at tutorials and teach myself how. Thanks to all the great tutorials out there I'm hooked.

Offline Micah Marchand

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Micah Marchand About
« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
I started about 3 to 4 month ago when I just needed something new to do... I had no friends to train with so I trained (and train) with myself... its hard but fun... When doing parkour I feel so free and alive... parkour is my drug!  :D
Life Is Great... Cherish it.

Offline Free-republic Parkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Free-running is living
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 07, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
ive always been the small skinny kid and i felt like i was always sittiing on the sidelines and there was no purpose for me because all i could do was merely climb a tree or climb on top of a house so i always held back all my potential and kept myself bottled up inside my head.in school i was quiet and never got involved with anything,just stood there looking like i was a skinny stiff frail nobody,and just thought to myself all day and all night,"who am i "? one night i finally got out of bed went outside in the middle of a storm and just stood there staring at the water thinking to myself  ,"i wish i could be the water". I went back inside and got on my computer searching for something i didnt even know existed because all i knew was that there was something missing in my life.I searched up how to become like the water and it showed a bunch of things like yin yang and tai chi  but i just kept scrolling down the screen and my eyes stopped on a word i didnt even know about but it stood out to me and i just looked at feeling like a part of my life was complete,like the missing link was found i clicked the link and it showed a video of some people doing tricks and just becoming one with them selves and everything around them.i went into my garage and set up and old obstacle course of my friends who died years ago.he was always training but i didnt  even bother to care.i started to train and the moves and tricks came naturally to me although i had never done on in my life.i felt alive and complete like i could fly,i felt like...the water. To this day i train and train so that is my story hopefully it gave u the strenght to keep going and find your purpouse too.
"Falling down is a part of life but Getting back up is
is living"

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 07, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
I don't think I've posted here yet, and it seems that everyone/mostly everyone else has, so I might was well join.

Somewhere during the Spring 2014 semester, one of our regulars in the weight room I go to just happened to bring up parkour in one of our conversations. We struck up a little small talk about it, but nothing too long or in depth, then we just carried on with the rest of our day.

It wasn't until sometime in mid July 2014 that something came over me about it. I was bored at home with nothing to do. I couldn't go to my school's weight room as we had no one to watch it for the latter two-thirds of the summer, and I don't have a membership to another gym. I was about to go into another boring, ineffective, incomplete, just-at-home, body-weight workout when I suddenly remembered our conversation in school when someone mentioned parkour. And I guess the rest, as they say, was history.

Now I've seen tiny bits and pieces of parkour-related videos over the past decade or so from various media outlets, and while I always thought they were entertaining, I never gave them much of another thought than just that. I always used to just think I would never be able to do anything close to those anyway, and there were much more important things in life to worry about than parkour.

But I think I reached a point in my life where not as many things are as chaotic, and so, that would've allowed me a little extra time to explore other venues than I otherwise would have. I know now I just wouldn't have had the time to even think of parkour half a decade or so ago. There were just still too many things going on for me back then anyway that required my attention more.

P.S. Slightly unrelated, but whatever. In May 2014, I also got interested in the Earthbound video game series, or Mother series as it's known in Japan. Many of the main protagonists in this series are able to use psychic abilities called psionics (PSI), or psychokinesis (PK). And in the summer, when I realized "PK" is also often used as an abbreviation for "Parkour", that may have also reminded me of the discipline.

If you haven't played/watched the Earthbound/Mother series yet, I highly suggest it. It can be surprisingly dark and mature, but is also very heartwarming.

P.P.S. "PK Fire!" "PK Freeze!" "PK Flash!" "PK Thunder!" "PK Starstorm!!!" (XD Sorry everyone, I couldn't resist.)

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 08, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
PK Wallrun! (Icouldn'tresist, what if you could use the psycho-kinetic powers to make yourself have extreme parkour abilities.. like control the wind to make you jump farther or run faster..)
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 09, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »
PK Wallrun! (Icouldn'tresist, what if you could use the psycho-kinetic powers to make yourself have extreme parkour abilities.. like control the wind to make you jump farther or run faster..)

Oh, I wish, man. I wish.

Offline KendamaDude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I was introduced by my cousin who showed me a pk video called ultimate tag. I was always interested in pk after that. I started classes at a parkour academy called Bay Area Movement when my friend started taking classes.
-KendamaDude

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

"All failure is failure to adapt, all success is successful adaptation."
-Max McKeown

Offline Projectile

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
For about a year and a half, I was a Street Dancer specializing in Animation. I always found the most joy in learning and accomplishing a new move. But after a while, the library of moves to learn was slowing dwindling. So, of course with me being me, I instantly started looking for another thing to add to my list of hobbies.

Then I saw Parkour. The movements. So many movements. It looked so diverse, so fun. I already had a major head start with my dancing, so conditioning was not a problem. So I jumped in. Boy, was I glad. It always stuck with me to go with the unusual, seeing as how I perform parkour and Street Dance in a town of just over 600. I started out by my self because of that (well, that hasn't really changed). It is a challenge, but that's what I love about Freerunning.

Offline Woo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
I always had an affinity to jumping around and doing stunts. My mother said I climbed out of the crib all the time when I was a baby. I taught myself to webster frontflip in the grass, just out of pure happiness I guess, one day. A friend in middle school thought I did parkour because I can Webster, when I told him I did not know what it was, he showed me a video. I was hooked ever since. This was probably 6th or 7th grade that I started calling my movements parkour/free running.

Offline GAPK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 05, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
 [WTF] I love doing and also started doing it a while ago but my parents are being sketchy about me going to an academy for it what do i do?\ ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???