Author Topic: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?  (Read 21609 times)

Offline JasonShawcross

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • my deviant art account
Re: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2010, 04:22:40 AM »
my vision on humans is that we weren't originally made to be physcally enhanced. we're the dominating species BECAUSE of our brains. if we didnt invent spears, we woulda gotten screwed over by animals in prehistory etc. what good physical attributes do we have? we cant outrun lions/cheetahs and others, we cant climb like monkeys, sharks would bite our legs off in the sea. we can use our heads to escape all this. so we weren't built exactly for this, we "mutated" if u like, when we introduced severe sports into our lifestyle :).
i hope i didnt make a fool of myself and people understand that :D

endurance and Adaptability

Offline GlennD

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
my vision on humans is that we weren't originally made to be physcally enhanced. we're the dominating species BECAUSE of our brains. if we didnt invent spears, we woulda gotten screwed over by animals in prehistory etc. what good physical attributes do we have? we cant outrun lions/cheetahs and others, we cant climb like monkeys, sharks would bite our legs off in the sea. we can use our heads to escape all this. so we weren't built exactly for this, we "mutated" if u like, when we introduced severe sports into our lifestyle :).
i hope i didnt make a fool of myself and people understand that :D

that's the thing though, we are built for more than just running, more than just climbing, and more than just swimming.  We as humans are capable of it all. Parkour is built by a combination of running and climbing(and flipping). It's that combination that would allow the humans to survive(though of course the spear, axe, fire and all that good stuff helped).  It is our brains that enable us to use our surroundings in the way necessary for parkour.  It is the combination of our many skills, running, climbing, advanced thought processes, that enable us to do parkour.

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2010, 07:42:45 AM »
About how humans have no physical advantages, that's false. In ancient times we hunted by persistence, meaning we would chase animals until they dropped dead of exhaustion, because quadrupeds can't pant and gallop at the same time. So we're amazing distance runners. No animal can run as long as we can.

Canines are actually have the most stamina in terms of running. Not that humans can't run very, very far. And they have a dual advantaged they we do not have. On top of being able to run further, they can run faster, thus not losing track or sight of the animal.

Mostly semantics though, as there aren't many animals that can out long-distance us (although there's a lot more factors in catching prey by foot then simply having endurance). (Oh, and quadrupeds most certainly CAN 'pant' while running. Not sure where you got that from.)

Offline Sai Chikine

• Patas
  • Traceur for himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
Oh really? I guess i was wrong lol. But i do know they overheat and tire in a few hours.

EDIT: Hunters of the Kalahari chase antelope for 2-5 hours until it can no longer escape. ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:51:01 AM by Sai Chikine »
MYCARMY 2011 - OVERLORD OF CALAMITY

"I'm about to give you some f#cking shit ass shit shit, so shit and listen, shit." - Kyle

'What if children in the future were encouraged to keep on playing in playgrounds as they got older, instead of having to learn to "grow up?"' - .Nico

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
Yeah, Masai will run an antelope to death.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
Yeah, Masai will run an antelope to death.

yeah, we can sweat and cool ourselves, most mammals cannot.

we are literally by nature, designed to over work our prey by making them overheat. you dont need to match the speed of another mammal, you just need to keep close enough to keep it moving. even when it slows down if you maintain the same pace you can keep it constantly on the move and never give it a chance to cool off.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline whiteybeans

• Guenons
  • The cure for fear is to take action upon it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
would you rather live your life having fun, or sheltering yourself. parkour is about seeing opportunity, its not just motions and running. its a thought process. though you may quit practicing the motions the mind set should stay with you
The cure for fear is to take action upon it.

Fortune favors the bold.

Time takes us all.

Offline A

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:06 AM »
I'm surprised a troll thread got so many replies.

There isn't any practitioner that yet knows what it's like to practice for 50/60 years, and it's going to be a long time before everyone around the world has access to good information about the effects.
I think there's a good chance that a high proportion of the current Parkour community will do permanent damage to themselves, especially those that regularly give themselves reasons to push themselves too far (through media work or competitive attitude, for instance). As the community's understanding of Parkour improves that proportion should decrease. However, safety is based on mental strength and there is essentially no common understanding of that aspect in the community at present.

We know that you can practice Parkour safely but I think it'll be a while yet before we can all say that we know for sure how to do it.

This is interesting to think about.
"Everything is about control
 I must never slip, nor ever fall
 Anything is possible for me
 I must never doubt, and finally be free.." -Mind.in.a.Box

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »
This is a little different than cigarettes.

Remember (what we know at our ages) of the 50s? Smoking was considered cool, (well, still is to some) and we didn't know of its dangers as much then... Either that, or the bit we did know wasn't in the spotlight as much. I mean you could still tell it wasn't GREAT with what the scent and all...

But yeah this is different.
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »
If I ever hear anyone at a jam ask the thread question, I am going to beat them senseless.

Please, think. Just use your effing brain.

Canines do NOT have more endurance than humans, that's ridiculous. We run continents at a time.
Anything can be dangerous if you do it like a dumb fk, case in point ME. Overuse injury cause I got addicted to juggling. Srsly.
Evolution is a journey without a destination. Immortality is nice for a few hundred year, then you get over it.

Pk4life, or else.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »
Canines do NOT have more endurance than humans, that's ridiculous. We run continents at a time.

The current world record for human distance running, non-stop, is just over 100 miles. The current daily distance running for a wolf, in search of prey, is also 100 miles. It's not unusual for them to do this daily in search of prey at a pace much greater than a humans. I'm sorry, we -are- amazing runners, but we have to either be genetically amazing, or work our ass off to get to such intense distances. Canines do these distances naturally.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
Well if we lived NATURAL lives, we'd be working our asses off, cause we'd have to catch our food. I'm working my ass off right now, I'll post again when I've ran more than that non-stop. Lol.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »
And, we've forced wolves to become more beasty because we fked up the food chain. Also, you made an unfair comparison to a non-stop run and a daily mileage.
PK4LIFE!

Offline BremerKen

• Patas
  • SPK-Seattle Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
I feel this topic was doomed to get out of hand from the start. The original poster only has one post. They may frequent these forums as another user, but this topic was made to get everyone worked up without losing face. There has been some valid arguments that support Parkour as a healthy discipline. For someone doing research they can find this and take from it what they need. But where wolves play a part in whether Parkour is bad for you or not? I don't see the relation. Lets lock this topic and be done with it.
-Always Moving-
Seattle Parkour