Author Topic: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?  (Read 21618 times)

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 06:26:17 AM »
http://parkourpedia.com/other/virtuosity

This changes everything.

Could you explain why you posted that link? I don't see the connection.

if parkour was about show, it would make perfect sense.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:19 AM »
if parkour was about show, it would make perfect sense.
Really?  Wow way to miss the forest for the trees. Its not about points or scoring or about crossfit. Its about the false progression of risk, creativity, and originality versus true mastery. It very clearly talks about the novices curse in all arts and sports. The desire and tendancy to progress too quickly through harder and flashier techniques without first truly committing to perfecting the basics. Its the same reason my 8 year old green belts can smoke those 8 year old black belts. People that progress too fast are doing too much and nothing well enough. There needs to be a focus on doing the common uncommonly well in order to emphasize strength, caution, true progression and true mastery. Through this you can effectively end almost all injury.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Sai Chikine

• Patas
  • Traceur for himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
About how humans have no physical advantages, that's false. In ancient times we hunted by persistence, meaning we would chase animals until they dropped dead of exhaustion, because quadrupeds can't pant and gallop at the same time. So we're amazing distance runners. No animal can run as long as we can.
MYCARMY 2011 - OVERLORD OF CALAMITY

"I'm about to give you some f#cking shit ass shit shit, so shit and listen, shit." - Kyle

'What if children in the future were encouraged to keep on playing in playgrounds as they got older, instead of having to learn to "grow up?"' - .Nico

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
Let's be honest, we've seen all sides of the debate, and most of us are tired of seeing it in our updates. =/

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
Really?  Wow way to miss the forest for the trees. Its not about points or scoring or about crossfit. Its about the false progression of risk, creativity, and originality versus true mastery. It very clearly talks about the novices curse in all arts and sports. The desire and tendancy to progress too quickly through harder and flashier techniques without first truly committing to perfecting the basics. Its the same reason my 8 year old green belts can smoke those 8 year old black belts. People that progress too fast are doing too much and nothing well enough. There needs to be a focus on doing the common uncommonly well in order to emphasize strength, caution, true progression and true mastery. Through this you can effectively end almost all injury.

ohh, i didnt even think of that because ive passed that stage. i think we all go through this stage at one point or another in training or anything else we do. we also already covered this in the first page i believe.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
Nobody is "past that stage". That's exactly the point.My master practiced basics every single class. So did everyone. White belts through 8th degrees. Insist on consistent basics training. Insist on consistent strength training. Use it or lose it. Everyone craps their pants over Philly D's big chief video (rightly so) but save for the few flips, find me anything in that video that isn't thoroughly basic on a huge scale. And im sorry to personalize this max but ive seen your videos, you feel comfortable saying that youve mastered basics? Compare your wallrun video to Teg's or philly's or even caleb miller's. We all have a long way to go. Whatever, train how you want, ill teach how i teach and well see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:24:05 PM by Andrew Hull »
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Offline Joshua Sikes

• Guenons
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
The basics are the basics for a reason after all.  They are at the heart of every advanced technique (for anything).  One can never know the basics well enough, if you stop training them because you feel you've moved on then your advanced techniques can be affected. 

You know how to roll so you stop practicing the roll... next thing you know you're in a roll and you mess it up, you've landed on your head instead of moving it to the side, or you tuck in to early and now all your momentum is slamming your back hard onto the floor.  Had you maintained that basic movement that would have less likely happened.

Of course there will always be that percent chance that you will mess it up anyway, after all to ere is human.  We are imperfect and therefore unable to be 100% error free, or at least for the time being.  But all the more reason to maintain the basics... we can't be 100% but we can damn well get as close as we humanly can.

Or more importantly, if you were affected by that "curse of the novice" then you may well have not practiced the fundamentals as well as you should have before moving on, and now that you believe you're no longer a novice, there is something wrong and you can't quite figure it out... then one day someone is watching you and informs you that your form was all wrong, funny, you never noticed that before, but then again bad form is impossible to detect if you never knew the correct form to begin with.   Now you're own progress as a practitioner (of whatever it is you do) is slowed when you in fact could have sped it up.
All the days I fight the urge to eat bad, fattening food will be for nothing, a sacrifice in vain, if I give in the urge today.  Fight the urge, be free.

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Well look at Seb Foucan and David Belle...they've been training for going on 30 years and neither of them have shown any signs of slowing down. I think with proper progression and good training and technique and general common sense, you really shouldn't have too many problems.
Let's not forget, in a recent interview David basically said "I'm getting to old for this". He still trains regularly I'm sure, but he has slowed down as far as parkour is considered (most of the stunt work he's been doing recently is mostly just for the money), as he shifts his focus from parkour to things like music.

I digress, everything we do in the modern age has it's negative effects. Part of it is, as mentioned on the first page, a result of our reliance on technology. As you're reading this right now, it could be damaging your eyesight if you don't look away every few minutes. If you've been sitting there for awhile at your computer, you run the risk of carpel tunnel. Living in a house with air conditioning effects your ability to adapt to high temperatures. Have dogs in your house? you could get fleas. Live in an industrial community? The polluted air you breath can kill you in time.

If you so much as take three steps outside, you're causing some damage in some way to your body, but with out a little wear and tear we would never adapt. Old muscle must tear in order for new muscle to grow.If you break a bone, the new bone that fuses the fracture will be stronger. Playing guitar will at first hurt your fingers, then callouses form and your fingers no longer hurt.

If you don't train correctly, then yeah you could die. But if you train wisely, it can only make you stronger. Through parkour, a frail, weak body can become strong and healthy. As we build muscle and develop technique, it becomes better and better for your health.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
David's reduction in parkour was strictly personal and philosophical, not physical. He recently completed stunt work for prince of persia without missing a beat. The fact is he has other interests and personal pursuits he wants to devote his time to (such as playing guitar). This is the issue, he is still quite physically capable. As well as the fact that we have the mistakes of the founders to learn from, not just their successes. We have all we need to prepare for life long parkour, thanks to AND in spite of its originators.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
Nobody is "past that stage". That's exactly the point.My master practiced basics every single class. So did everyone. White belts through 8th degrees. Insist on consistent basics training. Insist on consistent strength training. Use it or lose it. Everyone craps their pants over Philly D's big chief video (rightly so) but save for the few flips, find me anything in that video that isn't thoroughly basic on a huge scale. And im sorry to personalize this max but ive seen your videos, you feel comfortable saying that youve mastered basics? Compare your wallrun video to Teg's or philly's or even caleb miller's. We all have a long way to go. Whatever, train how you want, ill teach how i teach and well see what happens.

never said ive mastered anything, do you see me doing big flashy moves? dont make things personal when you dont have the grounds to. i in fact HAVE passed this stage. ive gotten over the flips and big jumps phase, the part of parkour that really got to me was the true power of what it CAN be.

im still working on basics because you can always work on basics. how about you train with me before you make an assumption based on one of two videos ive posted.

this is in fact a stage we all go through, how can you say its not? its a stage in many things in life, when i first got a chance to learn to drive a manual transmission car, i wanted to race it because of videos and other shit ive seen. now i realize its just more efficient.

i think its safe to assume 90% of the parkour population saw videos with roof gaps, flips and huge jumps and thought "damn i want to do that" and then went out and tried a few large jumps. thats how many of us got into this thing, then we saw more videos and realized its not all about flash. (going back to my previous post).

if you trained with me you would know my main practice is that of silence and control, i also have many problems with my body that im trying to reverse after passing the first stage of parkour. so no, i havnt mastered the basics, but i am learning to. im not sure you can master anything honestly, everything can be improved upon.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »
Did you intend to say that you passed the stage of big jumps and crazy crap? Because I thought you meant past the stage of mastering the basics. If its the former than I COMPLETELY withdraw my statement and deeply apologize.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
Did you intend to say that you passed the stage of big jumps and crazy crap? Because I thought you meant past the stage of mastering the basics. If its the former than I COMPLETELY withdraw my statement and deeply apologize.

he was saying he passed the big jumps phase.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
Then I'm so sorry. I... literally have a condition. An amygdala disorder that cause me to... not have a filter? Also to compulsively overreact. It's not an excuse but its a reason so... thanks for putting up with me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:19:23 AM by Andrew Hull »

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »
Then I'm so sorry. I... literally have a condition. An amygdala disorder that cause me to... not have a filter? Also to compulsively overreact. It's not an excuse but its a reason so... thanks for putting up with me.

its all good, im pretty sure that if you asked anyone on here regularly about me they would say i compulsively overreact too. Max is a pretty cool guy, i doubt he took it personally.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »

its all good, im pretty sure that if you asked anyone on here regularly about me they would say i compulsively overreact too. Max is a pretty cool guy, i doubt he took it personally.

not at all, i too have a compulsive side where i tend to spit out whats on my mind. honestly, idgaf, if someone cant take me at my "worst" they dont deserve me at my "best".

i should have made it more clear that i was over the big jumps and flash stage, i didnt exactly say what i was over lol! but i totally agree with mastering the basics, in the parkour world today its very easy to get caught up as a new comer. you see big jumps and flips and go "damn thats so cool that humans can do that". generally without thinking about why THEY can do that and not ME.

its kind of a durrr thing so i didnt put much thought into my first few posts. like i said, ive passed that stage and learned a great deal from it. i spent quite some time in extreme sports, i know all about flashy moves and the risk of not being ready for them (says the harry potter scar on my forehead)

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 07:17:26 AM »
anyway, could we be wrong? what if when seb and david reach their 60's and arent working out the same and start to get pains?

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
Neither Sebastien Foucan nor David Belle are training as hard now as they did when they were 18. Both have admitted as much, both citing the fact that there is more to life than physical training.

Sebastien has admitted having done permanent damage to part of his body, but I've never heard anything to suggest that David has done the same. I think there's a very good chance that David's trained more sensibly than Sebastien, and has been better able to resist the temptation to do things that will cause long-term damage.

Most of the Parkour community doesn't really understand how to train properly and look after your body. There isn't any practitioner that yet knows what it's like to practice for 50/60 years, and it's going to be a long time before everyone around the world has access to good information about the effects.
I think there's a good chance that a high proportion of the current Parkour community will do permanent damage to themselves, especially those that regularly give themselves reasons to push themselves too far (through media work or competitive attitude, for instance). As the community's understanding of Parkour improves that proportion should decrease. However, safety is based on mental strength and there is essentially no common understanding of that aspect in the community at present.

We know that you can practice Parkour safely but I think it'll be a while yet before we can all say that we know for sure how to do it.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline G. Will.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
Well, there are some obvious ways to train safely. Mantain fitness. Avoid big jumps. etc.

In the end, even with a little joint pain, there will be traceurs in much better physical condition than most of the people around them to the exercise and deit that parkour demands.

Also, there's virtually no sport that is "good" for your body in the end. Football players get organ damage, Foosball players get tennis elbow (go figure), and inevitably weightlifters and traceurs will get bad joints. You can only train to prevent injury. It's basically impossible to eliminate it.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
anyway, could we be wrong? what if when seb and david reach their 60's and arent working out the same and start to get pains?

then at least we lived life while others glided through it.

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »
my vision on humans is that we weren't originally made to be physcally enhanced. we're the dominating species BECAUSE of our brains. if we didnt invent spears, we woulda gotten screwed over by animals in prehistory etc. what good physical attributes do we have? we cant outrun lions/cheetahs and others, we cant climb like monkeys, sharks would bite our legs off in the sea. we can use our heads to escape all this. so we weren't built exactly for this, we "mutated" if u like, when we introduced severe sports into our lifestyle :).
i hope i didnt make a fool of myself and people understand that :D
I love your vision.