Author Topic: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?  (Read 21622 times)

Offline Ninjatic Silver

• Mangabey
  • It's just my...BASS CANNON!!!
    • View Profile
    • My facebook
Re: Let's be honest: Is parkour bad for the human body?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 03:45:06 AM »
Some people train for show others train for life.  Training for life is a lot harder.  Requires more dedication, patience, and exercise.  The idea is to rely on your muscles instead of your joints for controlling the movement and momentum.  Watch some of the videos of the founders and etc watch the way they move.  Every thing is in control.
Or people who train for both. I recently started it (a little less than 1 year ago), and trained day by day, with nobody to hang out with (I grew up where nobody really ever liked me...let's pick on the skinny kid because he's the weakest, make fun of him for no reason, etc.), I had 1 or 2 friends, one stopped hanging out with me though. The other one trains with me sometimes now. But even before I started, I met my best friend in the entire world, never said anything bad about me, knew everything about me and still has the heart to be my best friend. It inspired me to do something great with my life. So that's what I did. I started training for parkour and freerunning. Constant conditioning, etc. Now everybody is like "hey it's that parkour guy!" and then I just smile, unsure of what to say and keep walking.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 06:05:19 AM »
The life expectancy in Kenya is about 55. The life expectancy in Europe and the US is about 80.
That's only a difference of what.. 25!? To say that we have ruined the human machine is something I'd have to disagree with. Both intellectually and physically, we are continually progressing.

Our proportionate strength is not massive either. An average man can carry perhaps 1x or 2x his own weight, compared to other primates we are hideously weak. As well as this, we are not built for speed, our main attributes as a species are endurance and intelligence. We are very fragile - a fall from our just own height onto anything other than our feet can cause serious injury (which suggests that drops are unlikely to be something we have evolved to withstand).

I agree about running shoes however.

My point is though, that we are unlikely to be built for anything close to parkour. I think techniques such as vaults and precisions are unlikely to cause any damage.
IMO, drops will take thier toll on your knees and ankles (no matter how perfect your technique) and cats will take their toll on your back (unless you do it very controlled).
I will concede the proportionate strength objection, I was hyped up about other stuff and that wasn't a fair statement.

HOWEVER I feel the life expectancy numbers say aGREAT DEAL about the advantages of a survivalist/animalistic lifestyle. The difference between the most advanced technological, hygienic, and medically adept civilizations in the world and the Kenyan bush is 25 years? Seems like if should be more than that doesn't it?  And life expectancy is exactly the problem i was pointing out about attacking evolution.  We do everything we can to ensure the weak and deformed don't die. We are artificially extending life and enabling reproduction of people that would otherwise be to weak to contribute to the gene pool. We have overridden natural selection or at the very least slowed it down. Read anthropology studies. Primitave cultures with a wide breeding pool have statistically far fewer birth defects an congenital diseases than 'modern' cultures. Also, when did I mention drops?  That again goes back to what You consider parkour as previously mentioned. No big drops are not good for you. No impact to joints are not good for you. So don't do those things. Work your muscles so you have the strength to protect your joints. And if youre going to jump off a roof or double front off a two story building just please remember to try and land on your heads so we can keep the pool clean.

EDIT: UGH! Sorry folks, I get out of hand sometimes. I just look around and see so much unrealized human potential and So much sloth and selfishness. I really just want people to be strong and useful for themselves and our species. Im sorry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:19:46 AM by Andrew Hull »
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline James Jallen Allen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »
@Andrew Hull - I understand what you're getting at, everyone can reproduce because everyone can survive due to widely available medical treatment. It's hard to say how the human race will end up as a result of this.

...but going back to the original question "Is parkour bad for the human body?" I think that we can all generally agree that drops are bad for us, I would also say that cats are bad, but that's not so easily agreeable. As for vaults, precisions, strides and other general techniques, they would appear to have the same wear as pretty much any sport, with perhaps a little more risk of serious injury.

Offline Dom Rocco

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Conditioning combined with responsible and gradual progression is the key to not wrecking yourself

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:22 AM »
Conditioning combined with responsible and gradual progression is the key to not wrecking yourself
Can we pretend I just said this instead?
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Offline pauljyron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Hooks and Lattice
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 10:51:27 AM »
Parkour is very healthy to the body however, just be safe and don't overdo your training.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
As for vaults, precisions, strides and other general techniques, they would appear to have the same wear as pretty much any sport, with perhaps a little more risk of serious injury.
Indeed.

BUT, if the argument went toward discussing how even those things can be dangerous, it could continue until you have the conclusion that living is dangerous to your health, lol. So, I'd like to preemptively say, "Let's not go there." ;D
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
In moderation, no.

Okay, next question.

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
This is a great thread. Thanks for all the valuable input, guys, it's really helping my view of things.  ;D
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »
I think it's just modern day, honestly.  hundreds of thousands of years ago our ancestors had to walk miles and scale mountains to find food.  It kind of washed away with technology. but its still in our roots!! ;)

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
Even with as much conditioning I do, I still always have aches and pains. I definitely make progress, but I'm almost sure I'm gonna be in pretty bad shape when I'm older.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Intern

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
wow im proud of you guys as i was reading this i was expecting it to turn into a flame war ::) HOWEVER i got some very good insight from several points of view, i think we should have a debate forum!
The only other pictures i could find of Cocaine Badger on google images were hosted on this wierd site about furries and smoking weed, so...

That video was like if Jesus walked into my room, hugged me, baked me a cake, and then left in Ron Weasley's flying car.

Gorramshiny

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
wow im proud of you guys as i was reading this i was expecting it to turn into a flame war ::) HOWEVER i got some very good insight from several points of view, i think we should have a debate forum!

Not a bad idea. Also, it seems like you want it to turn into a flame war. ::)

Also, thanks everyone, it's helping a lot, even in a few days. A lot of this stuff seems like common sense when I heard it, but it just never crossed my mind properly before for some reason.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »
It's worth mentioning that danger is always situation dependent. It's not drops or vaults or arm jumps or any other movement that are intrinsically dangerous, it's doing them when you're not physically and mentally capable enough.

The sports that have a high rate of serious injury are the ones that are competitive (people being encouraged to push themselves too far), and the unpredictable ones (where the demands of the activity can't be controlled by the participant).

Parkour falls into neither category. There are no prizes, no reward for pushing yourself faster than is safe, so there is no need to try and push yourself faster than is safe. There are also no unpredictable elements involved since it's just you and the inanimate environment, meaning you're in complete control of the situation.

The most common source of danger in Parkour comes from people trying to push too fast in an effort to impress others. Get rid of that by removing the rivalry, the congratulations and the idolization of people who can move well and Parkour is one of the safest activities that exist.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
There is always risk of injury.  sever injury, of course, is bad for the human body.  but safe training, and especially conditioning, does just the opposite of hurt the human body. It strengthens it, makes it healthier and stronger.  Yes, you can always push too far and screw up your muscles and all that....but good training with a certain amount of knowledge on the subject and  parkour is no more bad on the human body than any other physical activity.

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:33 AM »
The most common source of danger in Parkour comes from people trying to push too fast in an effort to impress others. Get rid of that by removing the rivalry, the congratulations and the idolization of people who can move well and Parkour is one of the safest activities that exist.
[/quote

http://parkourpedia.com/other/virtuosity

This changes everything.

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 03:08:47 AM »
"Parkour" and "Its/is it bad" do not belong in the same sentence.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 04:11:32 AM »
"Parkour" and "Its/is it bad" do not belong in the same sentence.

It is bad to practice Parkour without using common sense.
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 04:20:38 AM »
It is bad to practice Parkour without using common sense.
</served>

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:37 AM »

http://parkourpedia.com/other/virtuosity

This changes everything.
Could you explain why you posted that link? I don't see the connection.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association