Author Topic: My first double front outside  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: My first double front outside
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
There's a "tricker mentality"? Haha where do you people come up with this stuff?

@Flipkid- don't listen to these guys. There is no right or wrong way to train. If the jumps you're doing are making you happy, then at the end of the day you win at life.

<3
Nothing but love dude; parkour for passion, not discipline <3

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »
I know, that's why I said that's my personal view, putting extra flips and twists to the point of risking paralysis etc. is something I don't do personally I then continued to wish him luck if he wanted to do it and pointed out that someone I knew did a double side at that same spot and was fine because he had prepared a little better for it, it was just a tip. I never meant to sound negative.

btw I know you've got them really good on the gym tumble track, and will probably do it perfect next time I'm just saying if you can stack up enough pads to get a somewhat similar height next to a foam pit and practice coming out at just the right moment, and then put pads on the foam pit stacked to ground level, you'll feel a lot better about doing it and will probably nail it perfectly. But like I said, that's just my opinion. Good luck.  :)
Ive thrown dub sides outside as well, on a few occasions; havent "landed one", but every single one Ive bailed on (all 4 lol) have been very mild bails. They're alot safer to throw and bail on then double fronts. I have side 90 in back outs as well; also mild bails on that one too.

I honestly think the most dangerous double flip there is to throw would be a double front, cuz if it goes wrong it goes wrong bad; not like dub backs or anything. Also double gainers too; but since I cant even single gainer lol...

Offline Lil' K

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Do what you like, like what you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Dude, that was awesome, get well soon and dont give up!!

~Elite180~
I'm not great at performing the movements of parkour, but I'm awesome at enjoying myself whilst I perform them to the best of my ability.

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
ive done standing double fulls off that exact block! thats santa monica pier in california! ... bad bail but... nice rotation. :) dont give up on them...

see! and you thought i was talking out of my butt...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1434323342654&ref=mf
the floor is lavA!

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
Video is unavailable bloobird.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
ive done standing double fulls off that exact block! thats santa monica pier in california! ... bad bail but... nice rotation. :) dont give up on them...

see! and you thought i was talking out of my butt...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1434323342654&ref=mf
Dude we should train sometime! I go there at least once a week, usually Saturdays. I f#cking LOVE throwing flips off that thing dude, me and my best friend Korey, a dude I train with, dude we've tried EVERYTHING off that lol; its just perfect height for all double flips, double spins, stall flips, and just over its fall to land in the sand after flying through the air for like 3 seconds lol.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
I know I'm an asshole but... parkour for passion, not discipline? Am I the only one thats going to take offense to that?
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline blazinace

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
To each his own I say (about parkour vs tricking vs freerunning). But you know this vid is going to end up on failblog, collegehumor, etc. If you get it I know it'll be awesome to see. Good luck.
Rails, Stairs, Trees, Walls so many to choose from and not enough time.

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
I know I'm an asshole but... parkour for passion, not discipline? Am I the only one thats going to take offense to that?
Your not an ass hole, and for you to take offense to what I said would be your own decision to make, just as me not taking offense to your opinions of me and my friends and our reasons for movement was mine.

I really appreciate the things you've said, in sharing your views with me you offered me the opportunity to learn and Im grateful for it. At the end of the day you didn't HAVE to let me see it from your point of view, but the fact you chose to shows me you did so only out of benevelence, hoping to keep me out of a situation or scenario you would not want for yourself.

I appreciate EVERYONES words, because they ALL ultimately stem from wanting for me what you would everyone here would want for themself. If a person tells me Im "Irresponsible and dangerous", what I see in that sentence is that if they themselves were doing what I was doing, they would be concerned for their own safety and well being; which directly translates to conern for MY wellfare. So for everyones thats replied to this, thank you.

:)

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

You're issues with that statement are your own.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline /shane/

• Mangabey
  • Parkour is......
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
You're issues with that statement are your own.

I think he was just trying to come up with a way of saying it politely.

btw "tricker mentality" was just a phrase I used to describe some trickers I know, where it's all about who can land the "sickest" trick even when there's a good chance of getting hurt. Tricks just aren't that important to me personally but like I said if it makes him happy go ahead. And obviously he's more prepared for it than I thought.
Aaanyways, I think we've all made our points. Like blazeinace and flipkid said let's just respect each other's views and move on. We'll be looking for that video next week man. Rotate just as fast, just come out a little bit earlier and you'll nail it.
A state of mind when you are performing a physical movement that is neither too simple or too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes, your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you land

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 10:21:43 PM »
Rofl, yea, a second sooner woulda helped a bit ::)

Ill put up the succesful one in a few days. Once Ive done it lol. And if I f#ck it up again, new video anyways  ;)

Offline Chris Ell

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
I think he was just trying to come up with a way of saying it politely.

btw "tricker mentality" was just a phrase I used to describe some trickers I know, where it's all about who can land the "sickest" trick even when there's a good chance of getting hurt. Tricks just aren't that important to me personally but like I said if it makes him happy go ahead. And obviously he's more prepared for it than I thought.
Aaanyways, I think we've all made our points. Like blazeinace and flipkid said let's just respect each other's views and move on. We'll be looking for that video next week man. Rotate just as fast, just come out a little bit earlier and you'll nail it.

PLEASE stop using the word "trick", "trickers", or "tricking". What he was doing was purely a stunt. This is tricking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnL4Abie4Ps

Tricking is a mix of martial arts, capoeira, tumbling, wushu, breaking, etc. All done on flat ground. It's just as much of a beautiful art form as parkour or freerunning is.

Anyways, as for the stunt itself, meh. It was a bit reckless and there are much better ways to progress in to double flips than "Well, single flips are boring.. Let's do doubles!" For instance, you can't even gainer? Talk about skipping a basic for something bigger and flashier when you're clearly not prepared for it. Now, I'm not calling you a complete idiot or anything like that. But please reconsider the way you train before attempting anything like that again.

Also, I completely agree with you Andrew. The mentality of the parkour community has gone from "Train diligently, be humble, and always progress safely and incrementally." to "Throw whatever you want so long as it makes you happy, if you're not ready for it and screw yourself up for life then oh well lolololololol." Or at least, that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:24:06 PM by Chris Ell »
╔══════════════╗
Team Moist Productions
╚══════════════╝
-=Training Blog=-

Offline Joshua Sikes

• Guenons
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 01:19:23 AM »
First off, regardless of your views of Flipkid, I have to say he's responded to all criticism very maturely and respectfully so I must give kudos to him for that.  But I agree that going for the next big thing because you want that bigger rush is not what parkour is about.

Why can't parkour be about passion and discipline?  And since no one has asked him I will.  Flipkid, do you tell people when you're doing these stunts and whatnot that it's parkour?  Because that I don't agree with, however, if you just mention that you do parkour but that the more wild things you do are you just having fun then by all means do it. 

You've heard how some feel, but if you know the risk and are ok with that, and you're not telling people that Parkour is all about the craziest, sickest flip then whatever.

For some of us (myself included) slow progress through discipline is the only way to go.  But others do have an advantage physically and in mentality to progress faster. 

People have been doing stuff like that for years, in the end as long as he's not saying the wild stuff is Parkour then it's his prerogative.
All the days I fight the urge to eat bad, fattening food will be for nothing, a sacrifice in vain, if I give in the urge today.  Fight the urge, be free.

Offline Zak_Auwalu

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 05:22:30 AM »
Oh shit mann I cringed so much

Offline Artisticflow87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 06:51:42 AM »
A.) +1 to what Chris El said about tricking.

B.) OP I give props that you were brave enough to do something like that and then post it up on the net, and for the most part respond maturely to the constructive criticism..

C.) Andrews point was that there was nothing in this thread that had anything to do with parkour.
Double fronts are parkour about as much as eating dinner on a yacht is skydiving. What you did was basically just a stunt, which theres nothing wrong with that, but just want to give you the heads up that that was not 'parkour'.

As far as your next attempt goes, personally I think your double fronts are solid, but in my opinion the problem is the height you were throwing them off of. Even if you try again, its still easy to get disoriented and over rotate in that scenario which is why double fronting off of that height is a bit reckless.. Id recommend at least blocking your face with your arms in the event of over rotating, but sounds like you have your mind made up, you know what you need to do, good luck and i hope the next try works out the way you want it to.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:12:08 AM by Artisticflow87 »

Offline Flipkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
Flipkid, do you tell people when you're doing these stunts and whatnot that it's parkour?  
Absolutely not. When pople ask me what Im doing I usually just tell them Im doing flips for fun, cuz in reality thats all I do at the beach, is flip off stuff, cuz its fun, and I like it.

As for taking criticism maturely and stuff, it gets harder and harder to do when I hear someone tell me I shouldn't double front because I cant gainer. Does that mean I shouldnt backfull if I dont know how to standing arabian? Because, I dont know how to arabian, but I can full, and double full. There was a point in time when I could 540 backflip, but I couldnt full. I dont know how to dash vault but I can triple kong, should I stop doing triple kongs and force myself to learn dash vaults? A vault I have no desire to learn because its not a fun vault to me?

Ur basically saying, that hypothetically, if I had the cleanest double sides in the world off height, but I was afraid to single side on flat, that I shouldnt be doing double sides? Thats bullshit. Not only are they two TOTALLY different "stunts", with different timing, different skill level, different risks, and everything, but if you taught a new person how to double sideflip before you taught them to single, they would STILL be able to learn a double.

Its all in ur head; u tell urself ur not ready for this, because you cant do that, and you go home and have done nothing to "adapt" or "master yourself" or any of that . Im sorry man, its bullshit. Now I remember why the f#ck I left these forums and went to 3run, I think we as Americans have f#cked up Parkour in our country; thats why I train alone 90% of the time, and thats why I left these forums a long time ago and haven't come back till now.

Its whatever though, Im done with this topic; if kindness wont resolve our disaggreements, arguing wont either; when I have the double front Ill put it up. If you wanna bash me and tell me Im stupid and reckless and that I stain the name of your precious "Parkour" (which btw its all f#cking movement, who cares?) then just do me a favor guys and dont say anything about it at all.

For the positive comments thank you, for the negative ones, well, think about your so called "message" and take a look at how ur delivering it.

Offline pauljyron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Hooks and Lattice
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
I just hope you'll nail the second try. Dude, you got to learn FEAR!