Author Topic: Practicallity of flips and all that crap  (Read 16197 times)

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
Re: Practicallity of flips and all that crap
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
Parkour actually has very little practical application... 99% of what you'll be doing in a real situation is running.

It's all f#cking movement.

we aren't arguing over the difference of parkour and freerunning, just explaining to the new people that flips can be practical.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Parkour actually has very little practical application... 99% of what you'll be doing in a real situation is running.

It's all f#cking movement

I have to disagree actually.  you never mentioned the situtation.  If there is a wall in my way thats between me and a gang, I am going up the wall.

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
I have to disagree actually.  you never mentioned the situtation.  If there is a wall in my way thats between me and a gang, I am going up the wall.
likely not because they could easily grab you as you are climbing up it. or just follow you. your best bet would be to run.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline G. Will.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
likely not because they could easily grab you as you are climbing up it. or just follow you. your best bet would be to run.

Look at your avatar. Put thugs behind that guy and imagine them trying to chase him after running down those stairs.

I'd agree "most" situations would be suited to flat out running, but parkour is a nice icing on the cake. :)
Besides, I read that you're not going to be very good if you train only for that situation and not because you enjoy it.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
At a decent to high level of proficiency and a slight head start I think climbing up say a 12' wall could easily separate you from an angry mob. Moreover, I find very little fear in coming off of a 12' foot edge/roof whereas most laypeople would definitely think twice (or at least injure themselves upon landing).

Side note: No I don't give a @#$% or want to hear about not being on roofs so if you're about to type a "roof police" manifesto go ahead and stow it. If I'm being chased and my life is on the line I am DEFINITELY going on a roof if it serves to help me escape.

In any event, the topic was asking about the practicality of flips, not the practicality of parkour in general.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

Why would you be in that situation in the first place?

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
At a decent to high level of proficiency and a slight head start I think climbing up say a 12' wall could easily separate you from an angry mob. Moreover, I find very little fear in coming off of a 12' foot edge/roof whereas most laypeople would definitely think twice (or at least injure themselves upon landing).

Side note: No I don't give a @#$% or want to hear about not being on roofs so if you're about to type a "roof police" manifesto go ahead and stow it. If I'm being chased and my life is on the line I am DEFINITELY going on a roof if it serves to help me escape.

In any event, the topic was asking about the practicality of flips, not the practicality of parkour in general.

also i think its fine if your on roofs because your experienced MThomas. but i don't want new people trying it.
true but...

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
I definitely don't condone new practitioners getting all gung-ho on rooftops, I agree with you there.

As far as being in that situation, a friend of mine was beaten nearly to death and thrown off a bridge last night. I wouldn't have thought he'd be in that situation either but now he's in a coma :-( It's a shitty world.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
i use parkour all the time at work. it doesnt have to involve running at high speed and getting past ledges or other obstacles.

parkour can be as simple as jumping up to reach product on the top shelf. the most simple, effective way of getting from point a to point b and or completing your goal.

dont over complicate things and you have the idea of parkour.

im probably way behind in the discussion but, i just wanted to throw that out there.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »
i use parkour all the time at work. it doesnt have to involve running at high speed and getting past ledges or other obstacles.

parkour can be as simple as jumping up to reach product on the top shelf. the most simple, effective way of getting from point a to point b and or completing your goal.

im probably way behind in the discussion but, i just wanted to throw that out there.

Max makes a really good point here.

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Yep I mean it can happen... From the serious situations to the trivial... Just don't hurt yourself with the trivial :P
The serious ones, dag...
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
How useful is it to you?  Flips are then incredibly practical if your goal is freerun.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »
As far as being in that situation, a friend of mine was beaten nearly to death and thrown off a bridge last night. I wouldn't have thought he'd be in that situation either but now he's in a coma :-( It's a shitty world.

Sorry to hear that bud. What are the chances of recovery? He will be in my thoughts...
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
How useful is it to you?  Flips are then incredibly practical if your goal is freerun.

if the idea of freerunning is a goal for anyone, some serious thought needs to be put into their training.

your goal cant be an idea. your goal can be to flip from here to there but, not a blanket statement that includes anything possible.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »

Umm... of course I'm sure alot of people would I would It kind of seemed this was directed towards me.

Why would you be running?? why not just stay inside all day?If the "is parkour useful" conversation goes like this I'm out.

This is cool.  and parkour is a great workout  :)

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
Why would you be running?? why not just stay inside all day?If the "is parkour useful" conversation goes like this I'm out.

i think your over estimating how the likely hood of being jumped. it happens, MThomasfreerun's friend is an example, Ive been jumped too. but the odds of it happening aren't too high if you pay attention to your surroundings.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
A flip could be used to get over a larger gap then you can jump, (as said above by Thomas,) for getting yourself right side up if you'd fallen backwards from somewhere, and flipping over a spiked-topped gate you cannot normally get a good vert jump over.  Those three situations would be the most "common."

If the rest of you wish to talk about the practicality of parkour/freerunning, (or whatever it is you are discussing?) please start a new topic.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
i really don't think we where discussing the practicality of parkour and freerunning. there was a brief mention, but that's it.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
i really don't think we where discussing the practicality of parkour and freerunning. there was a brief mention, but that's it.

Didn't specifically mean the practicality of PK/FR, but not talking about the main topic in general.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
It's all f#cking movement.
and lets face it... i've wanted to do a flip before i knew what parkour was
(and thats actually how i found out about pk, i was looking at flip tutorials :P)
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.