Author Topic: Parkour/FreeRunning/Tricking  (Read 2302 times)

Offline T.K.C.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Parkour/FreeRunning/Tricking
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
Alright, I'm familiar with the world of Movement and I've seen quite a few arguements on how it is/isn't all movement. Honestly, I'll agree with those who say it's all different to be said "It's all just movement".. Okay, it's Movement... But to me it's like Street Fighting... It's all the same but if you look at what a certain groups of fighters are doing.. They have their own style.. Some will lean more towards Boxing, others will go as exotic as Muay Thai.. It's all just fighting.. But.. It's the small details that seperate traceurs from the Free Runners.

Parkour: It's focused on Efficiency, Speed, Doing things where it doesn't take so much energy.. It's more based on running/escaping. It's just like a Martial Art.. It's our main source of the Discipline of.. Movement. NO flips are involved.

Free Running: Martial Arts are not for showing off but in competitions.. They have to do flashy moves to get points.. This is what Free Running is for Parkour. The flips and flair(I think that's the word I am looking for). Like when you do a lazy, you could kick your legs out to create Flair.. To make your move attractive.

Tricking: We all know that this is.. It's movement yes but, it barely involves any actual Movement.. This is more for having fun and showing off..I just add this on for the heck of it so don't target this.Lol

I don't want to create an arguement.. I am just saying that Parkour is just like a Martial Art but exactly the opposite(you run instead of fighting).. Free running is it's competition version.. Because with Martial Arts, those flashy moves won't help you.. Just open you up for an Ass Whoopin'.. So instead of fighting over the Differences and say it's all the same thing, how about we try to figure out to do make a thick line between the two. And we can even try to teach society that there is a big difference. Some can only practice Parkour.. Others Free running.. And some both.

I persoanally prefer Parkour... I'm not really into flashiness. Hope this topic goes smoothly.
"Breathe In.. Breathe Out.. Envision it... See the movement.. Do th movement.. Body unleashed.. Spirit free.. Mind at ease... Parkour" - Taven C.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Parkour/FreeRunning/Tricking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Alright, I'm familiar with the world of Movement and I've seen quite a few arguements on how it is/isn't all movement. Honestly, I'll agree with those who say it's all different to be said "It's all just movement".. Okay, it's Movement... But to me it's like Street Fighting... It's all the same but if you look at what a certain groups of fighters are doing.. They have their own style.. Some will lean more towards Boxing, others will go as exotic as Muay Thai.. It's all just fighting.. But.. It's the small details that seperate traceurs from the Free Runners.

Parkour: It's focused on Efficiency, Speed, Doing things where it doesn't take so much energy.. It's more based on running/escaping. It's just like a Martial Art.. It's our main source of the Discipline of.. Movement. NO flips are involved.

Free Running: Martial Arts are not for showing off but in competitions.. They have to do flashy moves to get points.. This is what Free Running is for Parkour. The flips and flair(I think that's the word I am looking for). Like when you do a lazy, you could kick your legs out to create Flair.. To make your move attractive.

Tricking: We all know that this is.. It's movement yes but, it barely involves any actual Movement.. This is more for having fun and showing off..I just add this on for the heck of it so don't target this.Lol

I don't want to create an arguement.. I am just saying that Parkour is just like a Martial Art but exactly the opposite(you run instead of fighting).. Free running is it's competition version.. Because with Martial Arts, those flashy moves won't help you.. Just open you up for an Ass Whoopin'.. So instead of fighting over the Differences and say it's all the same thing, how about we try to figure out to do make a thick line between the two. And we can even try to teach society that there is a big difference. Some can only practice Parkour.. Others Free running.. And some both.

I persoanally prefer Parkour... I'm not really into flashiness. Hope this topic goes smoothly.

That'll be the day.

I have to get to class but I'll post my thoughts eventually.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
Giving parkour a name was a terrible idea.

Offline T.K.C.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
Wait.. Martial Arts you mean? If so, then I apologize.. It's the way I think of it.. Parkour is like a Martial Art.. It's the Opposite of it really.. Parkour is an escaping discipline while Martial Arts is for fighting discplines... If it's a bad way to think.. Well that is your opinion..
"Breathe In.. Breathe Out.. Envision it... See the movement.. Do th movement.. Body unleashed.. Spirit free.. Mind at ease... Parkour" - Taven C.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
this is how i see it.

Parkour: It's focused on Efficiency, Speed, Doing things where it doesn't take so much energy.. It's more based on running/escaping. It's just like a Martial Art.. It's our main source of the Discipline of.. Movement. train for the reason of self-improvement.  NO flips are involved.

Free Running: i have always seen freerunning as an offspring of parkour, still not about showing off, but instead of doing it fast and efficient you do it your own way, with your own style. You could do freerunning without any flips if you choose to.

To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Luke MC

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Etre fort pour etre utile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »

this is how i see it.

Parkour: It's focused on Efficiency, Speed, Doing things where it doesn't take so much energy.. It's more based on running/escaping. It's just like a Martial Art.. It's our main source of the Discipline of.. Movement. train for the reason of self-improvement and utilityNO flips are involved.

Free Running: i have always seen freerunning as an offspring of parkour, still not about showing off, but instead of doing it fast and efficient you do it your own way, with your own style. You could do freerunning without any flips if you choose to.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
btw guys i realize i didn't edit out OP's definition of tricking because i was lazy, but don't be rude. we do have some tricksters on here.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Luke MC

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Etre fort pour etre utile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »
I just found it funny  :P

Offline T.K.C.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
I see there are different views... Obviously.. Hopefully there are more responses. I just want to see how many views there are.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
Parkour is not just movement, it's movement for the purpose of helping you get past obstacles. You improve through direct practice. You improve your ability to get past obstacles by trying to find the best way to move past the obstacles in your environment. You try and find the best way past the obstacle. You develop the ability to adapt to suit the situation, whatever it may be.
There are lots of other ways to use movement, like expression, entertainment or to earn money. Various activities use movement in these ways, and since they use movement in a different way each of these is distinct from Parkour.

Freerunning is your exploration of yourself as an individual. You do new things. You do efficient or complicated or impractical things, you do whatever you like. It's all about exploring what you want to do, learning to be an individual by concentrating on your own individual path. It's 'free' because nobody tells you want to do, it's all about you.

The goal of Parkour is to enable you to follow your own path and go your own way, but before you can follow your way you must first discover your way. Freerunning is step 1 of Parkour. It helps you discover who you are, by letting you focus on just what you, yourself, want to do. Instead of adapting your movements to the situation, you adapt them to yourself.
Freerunning is the first step, but to continue to be a Parkour practitioner after you've taken the first step you need to move on to the next step. In Parkour we always move forwards.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Parkour is not just movement, it's movement for the purpose of helping you get past obstacles. You improve through direct practice. You improve your ability to get past obstacles by trying to find the best way to move past the obstacles in your environment. You try and find the best way past the obstacle. You develop the ability to adapt to suit the situation, whatever it may be.
There are lots of other ways to use movement, like expression, entertainment or to earn money. Various activities use movement in these ways, and since they use movement in a different way each of these is distinct from Parkour.

Freerunning is your exploration of yourself as an individual. You do new things. You do efficient or complicated or impractical things, you do whatever you like. It's all about exploring what you want to do, learning to be an individual by concentrating on your own individual path. It's 'free' because nobody tells you want to do, it's all about you.

The goal of Parkour is to enable you to follow your own path and go your own way, but before you can follow your way you must first discover your way. Freerunning is step 1 of Parkour. It helps you discover who you are, by letting you focus on just what you, yourself, want to do. Instead of adapting your movements to the situation, you adapt them to yourself.
Freerunning is the first step, but to continue to be a Parkour practitioner after you've taken the first step you need to move on to the next step. In Parkour we always move forwards.

/thread

Best definition by far, shows that my bad writing skills will never let me do something this good.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 02:26:30 AM »
While it would be great to have a specific definition for parkour and free running, I think everyone should have their own. There is the "Public Parkour" and the "Personal Parkour". The Public is to describe the art in the best way you can for everyone, the Private in the best way for yourself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
I think what you're getting at there, Alex, is the difference between being defining Parkour and understanding it.

Parkour can be defined with words, but it can't be fully understood without also combining the words with the feelings you get from experiencing it yourself. Everyone needs to make a connection to the discipline through their own actions in order for them to be sure in themselves of what Parkour is.

Good point :)
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 04:10:40 AM »
T.K.C., you're already getting into rocky areas.  This is going to start an argument, and it's going to be something that gets really rocky fast as this is a topic that has been debated to death on these forums. 

The exact definitions of Parkour, Freerunning, and Tricking--and the movements that constitute each--are going to be the subject of constant revision, debate, and modification.  That's why APK was really smart to pose the question "What is Parkour?" to the community and allow them to come to a consensus on the definition. 

Me?  I'm going to take a page from Daniel Arroyo's book and say two things to add to the discussion: 

1. There is a difference between defining Parkour and understanding it.  The fact that you're mulling over this distinction is a good thing as it means you're taking the motion arts seriously. 

2. It doesn't matter what the definition is in the end.  Just MOVE, PLAY, EXPLORE...use the gifts of Parkour, Freerunning, and Tricking all in combination to better yourself and view the world through a fresh set of eyes.

Train safe, train hard, and be well.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »
T.K.C., you're already getting into rocky areas.  This is going to start an argument, and it's going to be something that gets really rocky fast as this is a topic that has been debated to death on these forums. 

The exact definitions of Parkour, Freerunning, and Tricking--and the movements that constitute each--are going to be the subject of constant revision, debate, and modification.  That's why APK was really smart to pose the question "What is Parkour?" to the community and allow them to come to a consensus on the definition. 

Me?  I'm going to take a page from Daniel Arroyo's book and say two things to add to the discussion: 

1. There is a difference between defining Parkour and understanding it.  The fact that you're mulling over this distinction is a good thing as it means you're taking the motion arts seriously. 

2. It doesn't matter what the definition is in the end.  Just MOVE, PLAY, EXPLORE...use the gifts of Parkour, Freerunning, and Tricking all in combination to better yourself and view the world through a fresh set of eyes.

Train safe, train hard, and be well.

I approve this message.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »
I approve this message.

I approve Dan Kelley. 

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
Giving parkour a name was a terrible idea.

no it wasnt, everyone here is taking it too damn far.

they are all different, people just dont seem to understand that the training for all of them blends together.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.