Author Topic: Parkour Banned in NYC  (Read 45949 times)

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour Banned in NYC
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »
Just freerun everywhere without direction. That way, since you aren't "getting to point B" as it were, you are technically not practicing Parkour and therefore they have no reason to complain.

Alternatively, just throw a flip or something in every now and then. Since you would no longer be using efficiency in progression of movement, you would [by definition] be able to claim you were just tricking and not tracing B)

Offline Evan Rudd

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »
Hey guys.

I totally see that this is something that definitely should be repealed. Just a few thoughts. The general public is ignorant of the fact that parkour is "movement." In all of the public interviews, service announcements, and notices I've watched, (and believe me, after reading this thread, i sifted through a lot...) they label parkour as a "sport or pastime in which the participants jump from walls to buildings." Not realizing how wrong they are, the see us as a danger to the community and posterity. I agree that something must be done, but we cant do it just by wailing on the Government on here. Instead of just venting, get involved. Don't disobey it just yet. That will only count against us in the long run. Teach people that we are more then thrill seekers. And if anyone can find the dang code for that law, post it with your petitions, because it's supposed to be public record, yet i can not find it... Most of all tho, support our brothers and sisters in NY in their noble quest. PARKOUR RULES!
NEVER SHALL I GIVE UP!

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Hey guys.

I totally see that this is something that definitely should be repealed. Just a few thoughts. The general public is ignorant of the fact that parkour is "movement." In all of the public interviews, service announcements, and notices I've watched, (and believe me, after reading this thread, i sifted through a lot...) they label parkour as a "sport or pastime in which the participants jump from walls to buildings." Not realizing how wrong they are, the see us as a danger to the community and posterity. I agree that something must be done, but we cant do it just by wailing on the Government on here. Instead of just venting, get involved. Don't disobey it just yet. That will only count against us in the long run. Teach people that we are more then thrill seekers. And if anyone can find the dang code for that law, post it with your petitions, because it's supposed to be public record, yet i can not find it... Most of all tho, support our brothers and sisters in NY in their noble quest. PARKOUR RULES!

i completely agree
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Stephen Laster

• Guenons
  • How far to Asgard?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
Just remember through all of this, I didn't read every comment, just the original post, but you've got TXPK's support on this fully!  But, for everyone 1 traceur that trains fully for the philosophy and tries to set a good example, you've got at least 1, maybe 2, of what I like to refer to as "parkourists" that don't give a damn about the philosophy or the leave no trace ideal and give the rest of us a bad name.

That being said, I wish you guys the best of luck, and remember you have your family through movement down here in Texas supporting you guys all the way!
-*Baldur*-

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
Yeah the general public and especially the media's perspective and understand of parkour is usually limited or wrong and that wrong perception tends to distort their ability to interact civilly or maturely with parkour and freerunning practitioners. As long as we do this legally and civilly my support is total to removing the ban/fine associated with parkour anywhere in the world. This goes for Jump Utah and the Utah parkour community as well. I have added the petition to JumpUtah.com and am spreading it around facebook, twitter and anywhere else I can find.

We can and will beat this, not only because it is morally and constitutionally wrong, but because its another obstacle and we know how to and train to overcome any and all obstacles.
10 push ups.

Offline shadowofnight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »
good luck! if parkour gets banned there, other cities could use it as a precedent...if there's anything we can do post it up.

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »
Oh by the way, I was in NYC recently and there are steep fines for honking your horn and in some areas, idling your engine. Of course, those keep the peace and safety.
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
wow i was the 234th sig and this all happened in one night!

have a nice day

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »
wow i was the 234th sig and this all happened in one night!

Really? Wow. Two hours ago, when I made my post, there were only 84 signatures. What a fast progression.

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
This whole thing is ridiculous!
Sha, you have Parkour Mumbai's and Parkour India's full support. If there is anything we can do to help, just ask.

Signed your petition already and also spread it on our networks.

Offline Sezon

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:20 AM »
It's not that big of a deal, just move on.
It's the same ordeal with skateboarding.
The only thing that goes against Parkour, is that anyone can claim to do it, whether they truly do or not.

Offline NathanE

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
In my line of work we have a saying. "There is all ways one who F##Ks it up for everyone." They are probably only showing negative effects to the people making the laws and ordinances. As far as I know they can only enforce in public areas so private areas that you own or is owned by a private group that allows you to train would be exempt from that law. Unless the law is to ban all styles of gymnastics because when the MPs ask me what I am doing I say I am practicing land based gymnastics.

Also you have the support of all who are stuck in the military and train in parkour/freerunning. :) Which would be everyone because the oak course is something everyone had to do once in there military career.
I see no reason to try and impress you, But I will impress myself.

Pain may be weakness leaving the body but it sure hurts.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »
The only thing that goes against Parkour, is that anyone can claim to do it, whether they truly do or not.

I couldn't disagree with you more. 

This new ordinance, as previously stated by a couple of individuals, is an attack on the civil liberties of United States Citizens. In that respect it's a VERY big deal.

Beyond that, this provides traceurs and freerunners to give the authorities and those in power a teachable moment where we show that we're NOT like skateboarders; that we're willing to work within the bounds of the law and that we're not a bunch of random adrenaline junkie hooligans that destroy stuff or promote antisocial behavior.

That also makes it a very big deal.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Dom Rocco

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 04:37:32 AM »
Not the same as skateboarding
What constitutes skateboarding, is pretty cut and dry
Dude on a skateboard = skateboarding
I'd also argue that skateboarding is inherently more dangerous and that there's the potential for more property damage than with PK
Skateboarders also get skate parks
We do not
What constitutes Parkour, is definitely not cut and dry
QM, running, jumping, various means of conditioning - a wide array of things that don't even have to include vaulting or climbing some structure
As someone said earlier, this is a matter of "at what age does it become illegal to play"
Of course if their bottom line is "you're not allowed to vault this, climb that, or put your feet on certain things" then that is more cut and dry and I'm not sure if there's a legal basis for that or not
Even if there is, sometimes it's good to not act like buzz kills

If there's been property damage, then they should hold those parties responsible and not punish innocent people that are just looking to enjoy themselves and exercise
I'm sure there have been other instances of vandalism in a New York City park that they don't hold everybody responsible for

Good luck to those in NYC who will be speaking to the authorities
This is bullshit and they've underestimated the Parkour community if they think this won't be fought and fought hard

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
BTW guys, I have edited the title of this thread - spamming is not the way, please place this RESPECTFULLY just as we do with everything else,anywhere that you feel people may have an opinion on it.

Personally I'm emailing some relatives and friends in the NY area who are politically active to get it hopefully passed around their circles. If I do that by spamming them we won't get anywhere, but if I introduce it properly in a way that makes them understand the gravity of the situation then we have a chance.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
I dont think you'd feel the same way if it happened to, or near you.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Peter Steinke

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
If your a fat lazy person and you are walking to the store wouldn't that be parkour? Your coming from wherever (A) and going to the store (B) and your close minded so the most efficient way for you to get there is via sidewalk....parkour....$300

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
As some of you know, I'm a licensed attorney in Texas (as well as a gymnastics instructor and professional free runner). So as you can bet, I've got a lot of interest in things like this. Many of you also read my post recently about "Knowing the Laws" here:

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,28677.msg357569.html#msg357569

I've been doing research on the Rules and Ordinances trying to find this law somewhere. I haven't found it specifically, but I DID find some other interesting things:

The Battery Park Conservancy Rules:

http://www.bpcparks.org/bpcp/news/rules.php

Which include by reference the NYC Parks Department Rules:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about/rules_and_regulations/rr_rules_regulations.html

of which Section 1-04(l) states:

"Disorderly Behavior
It shall be a violation of these rules to engage in disorderly behavior in a park. A person in any park shall be guilty of disorderly behavior who:

1. enters or leaves any park except by designated entrance ways or exits, or enters or attempts to enter any facility, area or building sealed, locked or otherwise restricted from public access; or
   2. climbs upon any wall, fence, shelter, tree, shrub, fountain or other vegetation, or any structure or statue not specifically intended for climbing purposes . . . "

And the penalty under section 1-07 is up to $1,000 in fines. It's possible the cop was referring to this and just said "parkour" because Sha told him that's what they were doing.

That being said, I don't believe we should just sit back on this. Mark Toorock, Sha, and others close to the situation are handling it, and the petition is circulating quickly. I don't believe that in-fighting, arguments, disagreements, fists to the man, etc. are useful. This is serious and deserves serious treatment.

BE RESPECTFUL. BE USEFUL. Being useful sometimes includes shutting up and not causing more problems. If we want to be respected and treated like responsible individuals and a responsible community, then we need to act like it.  

"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »
BTW guys, I have edited the title of this thread - spamming is not the way, please place this RESPECTFULLY just as we do with everything else,anywhere that you feel people may have an opinion on it.

Personally I'm emailing some relatives and friends in the NY area who are politically active to get it hopefully passed around their circles. If I do that by spamming them we won't get anywhere, but if I introduce it properly in a way that makes them understand the gravity of the situation then we have a chance.
I understand. I was posting it to parkour-related places and then sent it out in my email. I posted it on every parkour related facebook page and a few traceurs walls so as many of the traceurs on facebook could hear about it. I condoned spamming the link to places like this, not just random boards across the internet.

EDIT: 402 votes at the moment
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »
There's a reason for everything. Parkour was also banned in Moreton due to antisocial behaviour and the reaction from some practitioners was pretty aggressive. There's no reason to be upset in my opinion. I shall remind you all that there are people out there that pay no respect to the environment and the people in it. Problem is that some people actually are breaking laws and being rude to people with this f#ck-off approach wich leads to one thing - bann. Obviously, this is not the major part of the parkour community, rather the minority, but it effects everyone in the end.

Banning it doesn't solve anything. The people that are breaking laws and disturbing other people don't gett effected by this bann so much since they don't give a damn about it anyway and since they're just a minority. It's the real traceurs that are being effected, since they pay enough respect not to train if it's forbidden. This rebellious behaviour about the bann only makes it worse such as saying ''Ohh.. Jumping is not fobidden. I practise freerunning not parkour. Im just out jogging. etcetc'' Everyone has a responsibility in my opinion and I believe it's important for everyone to make sure that other people don't use parkour in the wrong ways.

But in the end there will always be people that are driving their car drunk, using paint in for grafitti, using baseballbats for property destruction, and training/practising parkour without showing respect to the inviorment* and the people in it. So there's no reason to be angry at the people that are banning it.

The bann will not be changed by movements, but by constructive words with the people that are banning it.