Author Topic: A Fattening Snack  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
A Fattening Snack
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
Hey guys, just a quick question here.  I'm following a very clean diet, almost nothing considered junk food, whenever I get that craving I just pop some grapes or strawberries or lettuce in.  I'm also conditioning very often, GTGing L-sits, doing Methode Naturelle every few days, training parkour or tricks every day, etc. 

So my question is this: is it okay to have a fattening snack once in a while? Such as say...having an extremely unhealthy ice cream, a load of cookies, etc?  Only once in a week, or 5 days or something.  Can I do this or will it completely screw up what I've been working at?

Thanks guys :)
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: A Fattening Snack
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
I think the key is moderation, Shay. If you keep to your diet well and work out and do all the things that it's sounds like you're doing, it's okay to "cheat" ;). Again, in moderation... So, choose how many cookies / how much ice cream you're going to eat BEFORE you start eating, and stick to it.

That said, you can eat healthy fattening snacks too... Nuts, avocado, olive oil (not really a snack, I know... )
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
Keep in mind that there are always good fats and bad fats.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
Moderation is important.
McDonalds fries are awesome (cause of all the shit thats in them :P)
is it horrible to have them every once in a while, especially with high levels of physical activity? no
but i wouldn't recommend having them once a week either (or once a month for that matter)
;)
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline SDGWarr10r

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I think the key is moderation, Shay. If you keep to your diet well and work out and do all the things that it's sounds like you're doing, it's okay to "cheat" ;). Again, in moderation... So, choose how many cookies / how much ice cream you're going to eat BEFORE you start eating, and stick to it.

I agree with that 100%. Another thing you want to keep in mind though before eating the snack is that your workout/diet after eating the snack will intially only be to get you back to the calorie # you were at before you ate, not at where you want to be.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
I agree with that 100%. Another thing you want to keep in mind though before eating the snack is that your workout/diet after eating the snack will intially only be to get you back to the calorie # you were at before you ate, not at where you want to be.

I don't know what you're trying to say, but I'm pretty sure you're a little confused.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
I think he's saying that if you raise your amount of calories, you have to work them off
ex.
+McDonalds Fries (500 cal)
_______
-workout (500 cal)
______
1,500 cal

amirite?
Shut up and Train

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
eh..  That's why I think he's confused.  It doesn't exactly work that way.  If you eat an extra 500 calories, you're going to be hard-pressed to actually burn an extra 500 calories on top of that.

Let's say that I have a BMR of 1500 calories, and with my activity level, it goes up to 2000 even.  Let's assume, then, that I unconsciously also eat at maintenance and very rarely stray from that.  Now, being an active person, all the activity that I do for the week is accounted into the caloric expenditure expected for said week.  Now, we take one day where I eat 2500kcal instead of 2000.  Here's where we have an issue.

Let's assume that I do a work-out that burns 500 calories, and that took an hour out of my day.  Let's say that it was an hour on top of what I normally do, so I'm pretty effin exhausted at this point.  But let's also take into account how much I would have burned in that hour on a normal day (for the sake of ease, 2000/24 = 83.3.. if we skewer toward burning less while sleeping/more when we're awake, we'll just round up to 100).  Now we're left with only a 400kcal expenditure on top of what is normal.

We're not even taking into account that, in most cases, doing extra activity that is abnormal normally results in being more lethargic/inactive at other times during the day, which would decrease it even further.

Basically, what it comes down to is that it isn't quite that cut and dry.  In most cases, overeating and training doesn't let you come out even.  And most people don't justify their food with extra activity, anyhow.  They justify it with the activity they would have done (or should have done) regardless.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline SDGWarr10r

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
Very clear explanation. Thank you for the correction.

And most people don't justify their food with extra activity, anyhow.  They justify it with the activity they would have done (or should have done) regardless.

Very true, very true.

Offline Jordan Davis

• Mangabey
  • Always Move Purposefully
    • View Profile
    • AMP Freerunning
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
And, Andy, correct me if i'm wrong, i'm interested in this topic . But eating some junk saying you'll burn it off the next day doesn't also work because that junk has worse effects that just the calories ur getting..
Parkour Coach

Guinness World Record Holder (Side Flip) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UEr0q2jWI

Certified Personal Trainer

-His Glory Alone-

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
Saved, it depends on your point of view and what your goals are.  If all you care about is how you look, then it really doesn't matter aside from calories (until you get into the fine minutia of body recomposition).  Optimal performance, it matters a little bit more.  General health, it matters a lot more.

I, for one, could care less about my general health or what goes on inside of my body.  I'm pretty resigned to die early, anyhow (born with a heart condition that nearly killed me at birth).  But when it comes to performance, I'm a little more selective.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
If you're going to eat junk food go with ice cream or chocolate... they at least have some redeeming nutritional value.

Soda, chips, candy bars, etc. are all terrible because they have tons of sugar, and industrial seed oils (most of them).

Natural chocolate (the bitter-ish) stuff is definitely better than the sweetened stuff
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
Steven what about stuff like Hershey's chocolate where the main ingredient is chocolate? (Milk chocolate not dark)
Shut up and Train

Offline Kyle McGowan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:59:55 AM »
Steven what about stuff like Hershey's chocolate where the main ingredient is chocolate? (Milk chocolate not dark)

hershey sells many chocolate products including pure cocao but if you are refering to the usual hersheys syrup, you need to go look at the ingredients on the back. there is a lot more than cocao.
This is not a sport; this is superman versus the giant.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
No i mean how a hershey's milk chocolate bar's most abundant ingredient is sugar.
Shut up and Train

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »

This question makes no sense, FYI.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
Oh wow I didnt even realize that typo :o

No i mean how a hershey's milk chocolate bar's most abundant ingredient is sugar.
That's what I meant. Sorry for stupidity :(
Shut up and Train

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
Sugar is the problem...

I don't understand your question at all

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
He's asking about the benefit/detriment ratio of a Hershey's milk chocolate bar as a snack (i.e. how "healthy" it is/ how "impactful" it is).

Answer: If you're going to eat something like that, make it worth your while.  Just go dark.  REALLY dark.  Tastes better, more chocolatey, and better for you.  What's not to love?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
Yes thank you Andy
not very good with words :-[
Shut up and Train