Author Topic: Movement within a Mindset  (Read 9591 times)

thebutton

Movement within a Mindset
« on: November 16, 2005, 10:57:13 AM »
Um, first a quick hi. For those of you who don't know, I'm not actually an American, I'm British.  :-[

Looks like a pretty cool site you've got going here, hope everything progresses in America rather than regresses, if you get what I mean. ;)

Anyway, Mark's recently been making some comments elsewhere about people being too quick to criticise and too slow to contribute. I wrote an article a few days ago for my local site, and being as chuffed to bits as I am with it I have decided to contribute rather than criticise. So here you go. Please please free to copy, paste & edit to modify it, as always the best work is achieved through collaboration.  :)

~
Movement within a mindset: The mental processes of a traceur

Throughout parkour culture there is a tendancy to define what you do through how you move, leading to scissions within the community.

But there is no need to focus on the movements, parkour is all in the mindset, the reason, the driving force behind the movements. It's all about the why, not the how. Parkour is:

Movement within the mindset of escaping or reaching.

Months ago, in the PAWA statement, we were given this guidance by David Belle himself. Yet this concept, elegant in its simplicity, was again misunderstood, and misinterpreted and formed into even more obscure definitions. But all that stuff about efficiency and A to B was hopelessly confusing.

You don't need to be in an escape or reach situation to be doing parkour. You simply need to imagine you are in an 'emergency' situation, and then move as if you were in one of those situations. The concept of movement within a mindset is so simple, it doesn't tell you how to move, it's just a guideline to help you do parkour.

The mindset tells us not to get caught up in the movements, but to focus on the movement and the reason driving the movement. When you do this you will see just how simple parkour is. Within parkour there is still freedom of movement, you are free to move how you would move in an escape or chase situation, because parkour is not defined by movement but rather by purpose or intent.  What one traceur would do to get away is completely different to what another would do. Hopefully it's pretty obvious neither would just stop, turn around and backflip though.

Instead of getting bogged down in which movements are parkour, or relying on someone else to tell you, just ask yourself what you would do if you were running for your life. Then you will understand that parkour is all about mindset, and how you move within it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 09:01:41 AM by thebutton »

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Movement within a Mindset
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:35:45 PM »
you decided to contribute rather than criticize. that is great and thank you for that..... but what would you have to criticize around here, were like, a week old! lol

eitherway, theres a link on the homepage where you can contribute to the site. basically its an email to M2 with your article and he will put it up on the homepage!

thanks again for the contribution!!! :)

Parkourdan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 12:50:56 PM »
"Parkour itself is freestyle, because it is down to you to decide how you run away"

eek. I know your general message says otherwise. But leaving that sentence alone.. is .. ya.

M2 worded it well in our conversation in the what is parkour thread. I think it should just be replaced with that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:53:48 PM by Parkourdan »

thebutton

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:00:10 AM »
Ok, cheers. :) (edit) I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, any chance you'd be able to do it for me? :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 04:03:55 AM by thebutton »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 04:26:20 AM »
Nice to see you here Button, the article is coming along well!

I'll try to find that quote and put it up, I think it's the word "Freestyle" that has people put off now :P

Found it, Button it's pretty much the same wording before our conversation before you wrote this article, so it may not add much for you, but kick it around, and let me know when I can put the article up, if I may!

within parkour there is freedom of movement, because parkour is not defined by movement but rather by purpose or intent
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 04:31:04 AM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

thebutton

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:59:13 AM »
Thankyou. I just removed the offending sentence (it was pointless repetition anyway) and intergrated the other ones into the previous paragraph.

Mark, as soon as the cheque (dear god, I almost wrote 'check') clears, you can put it up.  ;)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 09:25:34 AM »
Let's not go making off-colour remarks, the check is in the post.   :P

Can you actually submit the article yourself? That way it is attributed to you.

On the homepage, login. From the user menu pick "Submit Article"
Paste one descriptive sentence in the first text box, this shows up under the title on the homepage.
Paste  the "body" of the text in the second textbox. This is the article itself.

Once you submit, admins get an email, and have to "publish" it to allow it to go live on the site.

New FAQ created with this info!
Thanks!!
Be Useful.

thebutton

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 12:18:23 PM »
Toungue in cheek comment, no offence intended.  ;)

Cheers for the guidlines, is the site by any chance powered by PhpNuke or similar? The layout of the site looks very similar to other PhPnuke powered sites

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 01:17:37 PM »
It's on a similar CMS called Joomla wiith Simple Machines Forums and several modules/ hacks installed.
Be Useful.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 03:23:04 PM »
Nice article. I really need to find that primal desperation in my training. I think I need to find a situation that I can immerse my mind in, and imagine it to be true every time I do parkour instead of just jumping around, maybe sometimes throwing a run together.
PK4LIFE!

Offline skirodeo7

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • TheTJFRY.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:48:27 PM »
Really good article. I must admit tho, when I PK, I never think about escaping or being chased. Sure it's crossed my mind that PK would be useful if I was ever being chased by the cops, but I really dont plan getting myself into that position anyways. I do it more for the freestyle aspect, even if some people consider "freestyle" a dirty word. I can't do backflips, but if I could, I would do them as part of a series of moves. I undertsand no one would do a backflip while running from the cops, but I'm not escaping from the cops. I'm out there cuz I want to be. Thus, "free"style.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 06:28:10 AM »
Memeber Skirodeo7 has been banned for using the word freestyle and stating that he would like to do backflips.
Be Useful.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 06:38:59 AM »
I understand no one would do a backflip while running from the cops, but I'm not escaping from the cops.

Whose running from the cops, you bad person :-\ ;)? Be a man. lol  ::)

Nice to see the Britt's ( :-X ;D) aren't upset about this site. Good article though, liked.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline button

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Traceur | Individual
    • View Profile
    • South Coast Parkour
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 05:43:39 AM »
Sorry, been having login problems because I registered via the forums instead of the site (who's the goose?!).

I'll submit the article now.

Anyway, it's more like one Brit has taken a look around at the frankly abismal state the UK scene is in at the moment (because of the misunderstanding and misinformation that abounds) and has decided he'd rather the US scene didn't turn out like the one in the UK (first and last time you'll ever hear that from a Brit :P).

Just an interesting thought, why is being chased by the police the first 'escape' scenario people think of? Wouldn't it be more useful if a girls dad came home while you two were making out?

Hypothetically, of course.  ;)  ;D

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 08:54:57 AM »
Personally, I always think of K2's competant, yet comparatively bumbling thugs in escape situations.

For a real challenge, run from dogs. That really teaches you how to deal with the urgency of escape and how to manage your adrenaline.

Kipup

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 01:50:11 PM »
Pistolwhip, I thought K2 was a mountain ???

Gearsighted

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »
Sweet. It reminds me of that little rant I posted on va-parkour some while back, when the forums were but a wee babe:

A Matter of Mindset: Progressive Displacement..

Offline button

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Traceur | Individual
    • View Profile
    • South Coast Parkour
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »
hey, sorry for the long reply - been in hospital after an accident (caught foot mid-kong,fell face first, knocked myself out, had a fit... :-| ).

Anyway, haha, yeah I remember the 'post UF vitriol' rant .I especially liked the stuff about the pomp and circumstance of the cities which surround us. rings many bells with me as I'm studying to become an architect.  ;D