Author Topic: Nerd thread  (Read 9296 times)

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
Nerd thread
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
i realize there is a computer thread and a video game thread, but they  usually seem pretty dormant. if you all would like to post here, it would be cool to have a thread about games, tech, etc.

for instance, Bioshock three was announced and will not be a cheap one like #2.

and also I am looking into in my free time building a computer, if anyone knows how i would love some help.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Kyle Connelly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Nerd thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
My brothers actually building a computer. Only about half way done.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
For building a computer, I would first make a description of what you want, or list of features. After that, I would start looking at processors. Then, look for compatable motherboards that will be capable of running all the features you want.

So for example, think "Do I want a gaming pc? A sick media pc, able to do vid editing? Or something affordable I can hack up?" Do you want a lot of disk space, or a fast solid state drive, or a combo? Do I want to do SLI / Crossfire?

Also, importantly, youll want to make a budget / price list. This is kinda obvious, but if you don't, you can easily run up 4,000$, or conversly, never get it built because you don't know what to get.
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
i still have yet to do  research on what im doing. i will be doing it while everyone else has a senior project.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:05:23 PM »
The nice thing about starting the build is not having to worry about prices and stuff for the time being. Just think about what you want and write it down.

I want to build a new computer too. I finally got a new job that should bring in some more dough, so I can finally think about what I want.

For a while, I just wanted to build a comp, just to build one. If you want to just build one, you could build a completely fine rig for 500$.... and it very well could be more usable than some crap OEM machines that come with McAffie, Norton, 17 different IE toolbars, etc....but I digress.

For my comp, I want to be future-proof, have excellent gaming capablities, and can handle some customizations (maybe some light OC). So, I would like an hdmi monitor / video card, built-in wifi, (maybe) bluray, a simple case that can handle many different set ups, etc...
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
i want to be able to do gaming, music, video editing. at first i looked at buying an Alienware PC and upgrading the hell out of it but i don't know.

btw my new favorite thread.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
i want to be able to do gaming, music, video editing. at first i looked at buying an Alienware PC and upgrading the hell out of it but i don't know.

btw my new favorite thread.

Yeah, we don't have to talk about smokes here...

In my opinion, getting an Alienware then upgrading it is like getting a 1970's factory part Mustang and trying to upgrade it... Just keep it running and it's all set :)
- Airships

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »
i want a super computer!!

i like alienware because you can upgrade it. if i buy one i will try to see if there are ways i can make it better for what im using it for. just because i can

EDIT: upgrading it over time i mean, so when the next game like the original cryisis comes out my PC doesn't shit itself.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:17:46 PM by Tex aka Steve »

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »
ill probably build a computer instead. but i will need to do my research.

Offline Harry Smith

• What's up Andrew?
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
I built mine and I  basically did what happy fries said. Also don't skimp on PSU. Trust me ::)

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
that hurts
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26625.0.html
sorry man  :-\

I built mine and I  basically did what happy fries said. Also don't skimp on PSU. Trust me ::)
  PSU is? this is a serious question Btw

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »
Power supply unit. And he's right, the psu is a good piece to spend some more money on.
- Airships

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
ok i will remember that. thanks guys.

i think sai mentioned that in the chat room.

Offline Drew H

• Mangabey
  • Gate Vault FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Design
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
Are AMV's nerdy enough to post here? xD I've made a few, this is my fourth one. It's using the movie, Advent Children with the song "The Last Night by Skillet". Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrALOapaOSU
Have you forgotten about the days when we just wanted to rock cause we like it that way?

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
thats pretty cool dude.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »
*sighs because this was supposed to be discussed in my thread*  :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm

I was looking into building my own computer. but then I found there is a place around where I live you can buy like a $1200 computer for like $300 refurbished but still awesome :o

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
i actually made this thread more for nerd news, but i have been outside so much lately i haven't had time to look any up. but there is some really cool stuff.

wlf

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
what was wrong with bioshock 2?

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
it was not nearly as good as the first, seemed more like it was there just to bring in more cash. however #3 is done by the guys who did #1 and has a completely different story so it won't feel like a game made half-assed to bring in more money.