Author Topic: Parkour Event Sponsored by Cigarette Company  (Read 22733 times)

Offline NinjaDrew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • *NiNjA*
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: Parkour Event Sponsored by Cigarette Company
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
thats horrible. It's kinda somewhere along the lines of being sponsored by a energy drink company. =p   but itis really sad to see something like that. weat were they thinking?
*Ninja*

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Im posting in this so I can follow the discussion. As well as see what I can do to help. This is wrong, and this is going to be a large deciding factor on the path that Parkour goes. Lets hope we can gain control of this
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
god i can't stop watching Dom's gif. is that a dummy or a real guy?
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
Mad props to Mark and Patrick.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
Not that I agree with a tobacco sponsored event. But you guys did read that it is in collaboration with a charity right? A charity that is getting money to build a school from this "big bad tobacco company." It makes me feel like I'm part of an extremely biased community when I see that this hasn't been mentioned in posts before mine. At least after 3 pages of replys.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
 M2 have you tried talking to any of our European counter parts? They may have more info on the Traceurs that are involved. Also they may be willing to help by making there own anti-smoking videos. I still think that we should try and get youtube at least to sponsor the best anti-smoking vid on there front page. I would donate a little if it cost.

Also if we choose to take this fight for the right reason. Becasue we think smoking goes against everything a traceur or freerunner or athlete in general stands for. We need to be ready to take action. We need to go out (as soon as physically able in my and others cases) and act on it. Make these videos and post them in many places. The APK website, youtube, metacafe, dare I say Urban freeflow's youtube channel for non member videos, our state websites and each others youtube accounts and any other site that will allow it. This could be our chance to stand up for something we feel strongly about and a side benefit other then helping younger kids, making ourselves feel good, and doing the country a service. We for once would get positive publicity from taking this stance instead of the normal adrenaline junky crap that's pushed on us often. That's just a side benefit I thought of after thinking about this.      

Also that is great news about Patrick M2. You are awesome.  

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
Not that I agree with a tobacco sponsored event. But you guys did read that it is in collaboration with a charity right? A charity that is getting money to build a school from this "big bad tobacco company." It makes me feel like I'm part of an extremely biased community when I see that this hasn't been mentioned in posts before mine. At least after 3 pages of replys.

True but it cost money to host the event and it wouldn't have cost that much more to them just to donate to the schools. The Charity helps their image too and they get to advertise a lot through it. You also can't tell me they had to do something like this just to make the current smokers feel better about that particular brand. 

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »

True but it cost money to host the event and it wouldn't have cost that much more to them just to donate to the schools. The Charity helps their image too and they get to advertise a lot through it. You also can't tell me they had to do something like this just to make the current smokers feel better about that particular brand. 

Good point. Mabey the kids will be too distracted by how awesome parkour is to even notice the cigarettes. <-- I'm actually being serious about this.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
Hitler helped rebuild Germany, that doesn't make him a good guy.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
Hitler helped rebuild Germany, that doesn't make him a good guy.

Having a tobacco sponsered parkour event that upsets some people isn't killing 6,000,000. It doesn't sound like our community is fighting tobacco as a product. (Which does kill alot of people) It sounds like our community is just pissed at the fact a company is using parkour to make money.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
Having a tobacco sponsered parkour event that upsets some people isn't killing 6,000,000. It doesn't sound like our community is fighting tobacco as a product. (Which does kill alot of people) It sounds like our community is just pissed at the fact a company is using parkour to make money.

I agree some people maybe but I personally think it would be great to fight tobacco itself which is what M2 just did by contacting Mr. Patrick. Also we don't want parkour to have that reputation anyway. It's already bad enough.

Offline Dom Rocco

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
god i can't stop watching Dom's gif. is that a dummy or a real guy?

Scene from Scanners
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081455/

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
"Cigarette smoking is the leading
preventable cause of death in the United
States. Each year, smoking causes
approximately 400,000 deaths in the
United States plus 38,000 deaths from
exposure to secondhand smoke.1  This is
one-in-five deaths in the U.S. "

http://www.vahealth.org/cdpc/TUCP/documents/2008/pdf/Data%20and%20Statistics/Smoking-Attributable%20Deaths%20in%20Virginia_2008.pdf
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »
sorry for double post, but note that that's yearly and only in the US
worldwide the holocaust doesn't compare to smoking, the horrifying part is that it's practically a suicide, and unfortunately a man slaughter with 2nd hand
Shut up and Train

Offline Dom Rocco

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
"Cigarette smoking is the leading
preventable cause of death in the United
States. Each year, smoking causes
approximately 400,000 deaths in the
United States plus 38,000 deaths from
exposure to secondhand smoke.1  This is
one-in-five deaths in the U.S. "

http://www.vahealth.org/cdpc/TUCP/documents/2008/pdf/Data%20and%20Statistics/Smoking-Attributable%20Deaths%20in%20Virginia_2008.pdf

Also ends up driving up the cost of health care when so many people are receiving treatments that they could have avoided
I especially resent that as someone that actually takes care of himself

Parkour is a discipline that promotes health and fitness, not poisoning yourself
These organizers should really take a close look at their integrity

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
Also ends up driving up the cost of health care when so many people are receiving treatments that they could have avoided
I especially resent that as someone that actually takes care of himself

Parkour is a discipline that promotes health and fitness, not poisoning yourself
These organizers should really take a close look at their integrity
i completely agree.

Offline PkShinobi

• Guenons
  • Leo Dyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »
This thread is bringing up some memories of a old "Colbert" Episode... Which I had in my list of favorite Colbert episodes!
   ( Start paying attention to it after the "worm thing" and watch it all, only 3 minutes + a ad... )
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308102/april-29-2010/tip-wag---scientists---kfc
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
This thread is bringing up some memories of a old "Colbert" Episode... Which I had in my list of favorite Colbert episodes!
   ( Start paying attention to it after the "worm thing" and watch it all, only 3 minutes + a ad... )
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308102/april-29-2010/tip-wag---scientists---kfc
that made me lol
thank you
Shut up and Train

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »

My mind = Blown.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 12:19:54 AM »

Bravo M2, you are absolutely amazing.

I absolutely detest smoking. Partly because of the terrible smell that is everywhere public nowadays.
Partly because my grandpa has probably only a few years left to live because of it. He developed breathing problems about 7 years ago after smoking for roughly a quarter of his life. It started with oxygen a few times a day, and now he can't even take a shower without 2 oxygen tanks strapped to his back. It's terrible. He's constantly coughing, in the hospital a lot, and can hardly leave his house anymore. It just tears me apart when I think of all the lives that smoking has and will destroy.
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!