Author Topic: Parkour Event Sponsored by Cigarette Company  (Read 22739 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Parkour Event Sponsored by Cigarette Company
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
I really can't believe this. Words cannot express my frustration that someone in the parkour world would sink so low as to accept money from a cigarette company to do a parkour tour. You can rip my f#cking lungs out before that day will happen with APK.

I suggest we make every coordinated effort possible to show that this is exactly what we DO NOT represent. Money is a powerful thing, we need to fight it with creativity and outspoken outrage.

I will make an effort to find out who is involved and contact them directly. If anyone from the China parkour scene reads this, please email me m2@americanparkour.com with any info you have.

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2010-08/13/content_20699378.htm

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour Event Sponsored by Cigarette Company
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »
Mark please don't get mad at me because I'm holding back a lot of rage and swearing right now... ok i'm calm

I suggest we make every coordinated effort possible to show that this is exactly what we DO NOT represent. Money is a powerful thing, we need to fight it with creativity and outspoken outrage.
might i suggest a video
using anti-smoking ads showing how it can lead to many cancers and can destroy your body and ruin your life
maybe show some traceurs doing parkour, someone has a smoke "fake of course" then years later the traceur has an incredibly difficult time doing what he once loved
maybe it'd look more like another anti smoking video... but hopefully a point will be seen, loud and clear
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
Yeah....  That's not cool.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »
I agree. We are for being fit and healthy and being sponsored by a tobacco company goes against that. This literally makes me gag. I used to smoke but when I started parkour I stopped because I wanted to be healthy. This is just ridiculous that they'd do that. :| But a anti-smoking video would be a good idea.

Ugh...I'm too frustrated to type anymore about this. Plus, the whole smoking thing hits home with me now due to my grandfather getting half of one lung taken out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:03:55 AM by Ashley 'Ashy' McC »
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »
Wow that is insane. My mom smokes and I hate it I always have.

I definitely think we should do something. I think that instead of just one anti smoking video we flood you tube with non-smoking anti-tobacco videos. Maybe host a contest and see if we could get you tube to post the contest on the front page. Or make it a big contest sponsored by APK, youtube and maybe even some Parkour generations or other major parkour organizations.   

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
Parkour is just becoming another gimmick, another money maker, to most of the world. People see it as an opportunity to financially better themselves, instead of mentally and physically better themselves.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
I say we pull a T.H.U.G. move. We take what someone has done, and show them how it should be.
I say, we should start a vid campaign. Everyone should make a video showing parkour and what it means and represents to them. We'd have to all come up with a little name for it though.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline The Dan Collins

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Is this the right button?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
This entire situation is almost hilariously absurd. I'd laugh if they weren't serious.

On the topic of the video we could make it really simple: show someone smoking in an urban area, they see someone doing parkour, put down the cigarette and join them. We could post it as many places as we can and hopefully get the word out at least to the parkour community here and abroad about this. If everybody's against it, nobody will take part in this "parkour rally".

Offline Leonard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
 :'( 'Tis sad, clever, but extremely sad. I wonder if our European counterparts are as outraged as we are.

Anyway, an idea for the anti-smoking ad:
You have a team of two, one waits for the other outside his work were they start their run every day. The one that waits smokes to pass the time. His buddy comes up, they exchange a few words, suggests he quit but doesn't press it. They start out doing vaults and what-not. Then fast forward a year, same two guys, same routine, the difference, the one that smokes falls behind. Fast forward four more years and the one that smokes decides to quit parkour because he can't keep up with his buddy, and just watches him run past for the rest of his life, somewhat saddened.

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
I have another approach: can we provide them with funding somehow?  Then offer it to them with the condition that they not accept funds from the cigarette company?

If we truly believe in this, let's put our money where our mouth is: a paypal account, or talking with US sponsors... these traceurs may be prostituting themselves to the tobacco company because they lack other funding sources.
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
Doh, I proposed the video because I have no job and no money. I would gladly donate, but I just have nothing to give.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline Casey Boatwright

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
they're trying to turn this into skating where it doesn't stand for anything and get sponsored by anyone.    Skateboarding has energy drinks,    please don't let Parkour have cigarettes.   
You live a filtered life.-
Everyone dreams of changing the world, I only want to change it back.-
In Myth, God Is Force.

Offline Michaelnardone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
That event is such f***ed up, a major defining point of traceurs are the fact that they maintain a healthy lifestyle, they actively exercise, and eat healthy foods in order to maintain their bodies. Having a Parkour Rally for a cigarette company is an oxymoron. They are Exact opposites, this just blows my mind as to how people would do this.

As for the Video, the comments sum it up

Offline Ethan K.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »
-I have high hopes that Parkour will not turn into skating because it has such wonderfully compitant and organized people, (like APK).  :D The ciggarette companies are the richest in the world, with power strewn across many governments across the world. To fight them with money would end very badly for us traceurs especially because not even Oprah herself could out cash companies like Marlboro. Contacting the trauceurs who actually agreed for these atrocious sponserships would be the best way to go. Also, spreading the word about Actual parkour and not bull crap sponserships and misused term parkour, would be another great way to go as well. I'd put my vote in for videos, flyers and corrections to the ignorance. And, if you hear about this news going through the words and mouths of the common people, go over and tell them the truth about parkour, show them your outrage. (nicely please though).  ;)
~Feel the momentum. -Estmid

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »
I have another approach: can we provide them with funding somehow?  Then offer it to them with the condition that they not accept funds from the cigarette company?

If we truly believe in this, let's put our money where our mouth is: a paypal account, or talking with US sponsors... these traceurs may be prostituting themselves to the tobacco company because they lack other funding sources.
as opposed to this, (unless you can find non anti-health sponsors).
wouldn't it be stronger to boycott it? or show what we're really about?
Shut up and Train

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

The ciggarette companies are the richest in the world, with power strewn across many governments across the world. To fight them with money would end very badly for us traceurs especially because not even Oprah herself could out cash companies like Marlboro.

The philosophy of parkour is to overcome obstacles.  So here is an obstacle.  Now choose: either we're a bunch of kids who jump over things, or we are people who live by a particular philosophy that tells us to overcome adversity even if it causes us some personal hardship.  Rather than uselessly expressing our rage within our closed community, we need to come together and think, and be willing to contribute to this.
Timothy Chen Allen
Washington, DC
My training log

Offline Peter Steinke

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »
This is truly pathetic.... if it was up to me id try to get all the traceurs in the area to go int he middle of show and protest.... hint, hint.

Offline Zanuka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »
 [WTF]
This is disgusting.

I have to agree that excessive money cannot solve this, it remains the problem. The traceurs who have succumbed to this tour really dont deserve to be called traceurs.

My best suggestion would be to start an anti-tour in oppossition to this one. We need to find someone who has links or friends in the media and get them to cover our protest. The tour doesnt have to be large either, but it would need some of the best of who we have at APK.

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
My best suggestion would be to start an anti-tour in oppossition to this one. We need to find someone who has links or friends in the media and get them to cover our protest. The tour doesnt have to be large either, but it would need some of the best of who we have at APK.
Okay, I can see doing that.  Can we help raise funds for that?
Timothy Chen Allen
Washington, DC
My training log

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Tim just wants us to shoot out money :P
I'll contribute $25 with a gift card I have, does paypal accept those? i think that's why i couldn't buy me an APK tshirt
Shut up and Train