Author Topic: Please troubleshoot my roll!  (Read 2204 times)

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Please troubleshoot my roll!
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
This is me rolling (multiple different rolls on different speeds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_kNhunGVdE
So far, some notes I have to bear in mind are:
  • Focus on hitting the back of the shoulder
  • Make sure to go diagonally
  • Make sure to land on the ball of the left foot, rather than the side

Thanks for any help!
Life isn't at all fair. But let's face it: if that gets in your way, you're just lazy.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Please troubleshoot my roll!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
Your roll looks pretty solid. :)

However, it seems like you dont put as much stress on your shoulder area than you hip area. It kinda looks like you're slamming your hips on the ground. (Don't take me wrong, your roll looks very smooth)

Good job :) Keep it up until it's perfect. :D

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
Your roll looks pretty solid. :)

However, it seems like you dont put as much stress on your shoulder area than you hip area. It kinda looks like you're slamming your hips on the ground. (Don't take me wrong, your roll looks very smooth)

Good job :) Keep it up until it's perfect. :D

Hm interesting. I'll try to focus on that when I practice tomorrow, thanks!
Life isn't at all fair. But let's face it: if that gets in your way, you're just lazy.

Offline The Dan Collins

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Is this the right button?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »
It looks like you could stay tucked for a while longer, might ease some of the impact on your hips/ankles. Other than that, not bad.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
Dont go to your hip go to your thy.  Watch this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rekmYbFRbK0
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Alex

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
Don't do Parkour in any form of jeans ;)

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
You can do parkour in any type of clothing if you cant then why are you doing parkour.

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
It looks like you could stay tucked for a while longer, might ease some of the impact on your hips/ankles. Other than that, not bad.

Thanks! I'll try and get that.

Dont go to your hip go to your thy.  Watch this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rekmYbFRbK0

Whenever I land on the side of my leg (rather than the balls of my feet), I seem to hurt my foot and lose momentum very easily.

Also: What about my arms? They seem to swing back frequently.

New video: I tried to tuck in more, swing arms less, land on my feet a bit better, and hit the back of my shoulder more (I'm still hitting the top a little).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHBHf4PRMU

However, I don't seem to be able to keep momentum out of my roll; I generally stumble, but I'm never able to come back to a run.

Update: After some more rolls, I notice I hit my shoulder quite a bit. I do hit the back, but the impact's high enough to still hit the bony part. I've tried and tried, but I can't seem to hit lower down, and I'm really bruising my shoulder. Any suggestions?

Also, I hit my spine (about halfway down my back) once in a while.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:44:41 AM by RobotGymnast »

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
Never said not to roll up onto your feet.  But the curve ends at the thy if that makes any since.  Watch David Belle's Rolls in that video.

Second.  I watched your video.   Go slower starting out.  It looks like its going good but if your hitting anywhere with a lot of force your in trouble.  Slow down so you can figure out that path I was talking about.  as you come up out of the roll don't be afraid to slap the ground and push off.  Try starting the roll going up your arm then down your back this will show you a cleaner path that isn't going to have you messing up your shoulder.  Try going towards your thy a little more this may help you stop hitting your spine. 

Third.  Note that every body is different and every bodies roll is going to be different.  But if your are hitting any where hard your doing it wrong and if you getting hurt at any point of the roll your doing it wrong.  Doing these mistakes from any hight can be hazardous to your health and well being.

Keep it up.  GO SLOW a lot SLOWER.  It will help with learning right.  You don't have to roll fast at anytime unless your tricking.  It's meant to be a controlled deceleration. 

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
Alright, I'll check out the video again. Thanks!

I don't quite understand what you mean by going along the arm and down the back. Wouldn't that take me straight through the shoulder? Do you mean to roll a little less sideways and a little more over my back so I end up on my thigh?

Also, I can't really slow down, I don't think. If I don't have momentum, I don't have enough to carry me over.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »
Trust me you can slow it down.  If you can't then an angle or something is wrong.  I would be able to help you in person.  But this over the net thing is really hard.

Try watching this as well.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnrS3awx4Q

See how they start by going up the arm then down the shoulder to the hip.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »
It's an interesting vid; it does help me understand hand placement with relation to direction of roll, so that might help me hit the back of my shoulder rather than the bonier part, as well as roll a little more onto my butt/thigh, rather than the hip. I'll try it out tomorrow, but whenever I try to miss the top of my shoulder, I flop on my back.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
Yeah try going slower and using more control in your muscles.

Offline RobotGymnast

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanks, and that vid really helped. Consciously observing how my hand moves really helped me miss my the top of my shoulder and land on the back instead. It worked great on grass, and even on concrete (except I scraped up my hand a bit when I slid it off the concrete). However, when I tried it again later, I was completely unable to do it o_O; if I try, I tend to pull my arm through and then hit my back too hard. I can complete the roll, but it hurts now. Very weird. I'll review my video footage (which I'll upload soon) for what changed.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »
Just take your time and remember if its hurting your doing it wrong.   ;)