Author Topic: Stop it with the internet cliques.  (Read 9461 times)

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
Re: Stop it with the internet cliques.
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
Nearly every group to be honest. I understand that not every single person does what I'm talking about. It's  just that none of it is even necessary. Serious. Do you really need to make a group for people that tell newcomers to use the search bar (just an example). Just saying it to myself sounds ludicrous. When I think about it, it's just like Parkour/Freerunning/ADD/Movement; do you really need to put a name behind what your doing?

There are many other issues I see which I've already explained. It's a fairly broad range of problems.

Offline S Leger

• Mangabey
  • I move for him because he died for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
Nearly every group to be honest. I understand that not every single person does what I'm talking about. It's  just that none of it is even necessary. Serious. Do you really need to make a group for people that tell newcomers to use the search bar (just an example). Just saying it to myself sounds ludicrous. When I think about it, it's just like Parkour/Freerunning/ADD/Movement; do you really need to put a name behind what your doing?

There are many other issues I see which I've already explained. It's a fairly broad range of problems.

I agree that some groups are ludicrous, but they're just doing it for fun, I don't think they're trying to cause problems in any way. 
I'm a treysaur for God!

Looking for new music?  Check out my music blog!  http://www.gnewmusic.blogspot.com

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »

there is no organized search bar nazi group, that was a joke.

and no one is putting a name behind a group. in fact the only legitimate groups do have a purpose, like roof police.
night hawks is not a group its a thread, but even that has its own purpose. we have accumulated over 300 pages in five months. that is 300 pages of absolutely nothing kept out of other threads and more importantly out of general. so having a thread to prevent spam and thread jacking seems like a good idea.

so far the only reason i have seen is that you don't like it. please give a legitimate reason, because nothing is going to change simply to appease you. these forums are for everyone.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
My agreement goes to Tex.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
It seems like a few of you are trolling this thread a bit. I know you may take offense to some of the posts, but be careful. This is one of those argu-...erm... "discussions" that doesn't need [and will never have] a winner. If you think the OP is wrong, then that in itself should be enough for you. Move on [or better yet, go train :P ]. No topic-specific action from you is requested. If you want to further the discussion, however, please continue posting.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:50 PM »
im not trolling i am seriously trying to solve the problem.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
The beauty of forums is it's implicitly democratic in nature. Don't like what a forum has to say, don't read or comment on it. Eventually people will cast their votes by not commenting.

We can't tailor communities to our liking. We can, however, vote with our keyboards and stay away from them.

"Cliques", particularly in areas such as "General Discussion" and "Socialize"... Who cares, really?

You want to read about training, there are areas for that.
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
i agree completely with David Glass

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
I've already stated what I felt, whether it's opinion or not. I swear on my life that there is a correlation between a drop in general discussion and increase in socialize. A lot of veteran members who would post often don't even visit anymore, for reasons which I THINK has to do with this. A snowball effect if you will. Me and other members on a local community forum have noticed this on a smaller scale (will not name that website, and has no relation to my current location).

And David, you have a valid point ;)

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »
the older members that i have talked to have said that they have a problem with disrespectful noobs more than anything.

i think there is a correlation between the drop in general and the increase in socialize. there are few bug topics in general, so people post in socialize. i highly doubt it has anything to do with the groups, the groups are harmless.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »
Fair enough, to each his own.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
i will say that if you see any group causing trouble as a whole or picking on any non member i would hope that you would report it to a mod or make the community aware that this is happening so we can solve the problem, for now i think they are harmless and we should just let them be.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »
My opinion in this matter is that Cliques are a result, not a cause. If you find that the "important" forums are dying, and places like "Socialize" are busier and full of cliques and people having fun, rather than using the forum as a Parkour resource, its not because of the cliques. It's because people who used to be on the forums a lot, the "veterans" as they were called, are now busy doing things like organizing communities and teaching classes and real life work, so the gaps are filled by people who use the forums for more social, fun purposes, as well as a Parkour resource.

Then, the forums re-structure themselves when some catalyst causes those people to come back, and then they fade off again once the structure is in place, and so it slowly falls apart again. And repeat. It's a pattern that's been happening for a very long time. And it's pretty natural, I think.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
I agree with you Adam, I've seen that multiple times. And that's what I was expecting to go on with this other local forum, but not once has it bounced. Keeps going further and further downhill.

Offline /shane/

• Mangabey
  • Parkour is......
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
If you ask me the problem isn't the groups, it's the growing number of people who get on here and waste time with either worthless or disrespectful posts. This is a PK/FR forum, and I personally think that's all we need to be discussing, if people spent half as much time training as they did "socializing" in almost hundred page threads like "Let's kill jim" They'd actually improve. WHy would you do that anyway? Do you think having a high post count somehow increases your credibility? It should be about quality, not quantity.

This is why the forums are somewhat of a joke to some of my fellow traceurs/freerunners, it's the place where all the nerds who decide parkour is their thing get on and babble about their new hobby when a lot of them can barely even dash vault cause they hardly train. There's a lot more to parkour than you can learn from the internet. As for the cliques, why even give them any attention? So what if a bunch of pre-teens want to be a part of something? Having a "night hawks" picture doesn't really affect anyone other than themselves and if it makes them feel important than whatever.
A state of mind when you are performing a physical movement that is neither too simple or too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes, your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you land

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
You don't get a higher post count on Socialize, Consumer Whores, and Fitness Logs.

This is why the forums are somewhat of a joke to some of my fellow traceurs/freerunners, it's the place where all the nerds who decide parkour is their thing get on and babble about their new hobby when a lot of them can barely even dash vault cause they hardly train. There's a lot more to parkour than you can learn from the internet. As for the cliques, why even give them any attention? So what if a bunch of pre-teens want to be a part of something? Having a "night hawks" picture doesn't really affect anyone other than themselves and if it makes them feel important than whatever.

Agreed.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »
If you ask me the problem isn't the groups, it's the growing number of people who get on here and waste time with either worthless or disrespectful posts. This is a PK/FR forum, and I personally think that's all we need to be discussing, if people spent half as much time training as they did "socializing" in almost hundred page threads like "Let's kill jim" They'd actually improve. WHy would you do that anyway? Do you think having a high post count somehow increases your credibility? It should be about quality, not quantity.

Preaching to the choir, although I feel that there are members here who post here that are legitimate practitioners, so you can't make this statement about everyone. No reason to step on my feet mang.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »

I agree.

Cliques will always be there on forums, honestly. They're everywhere in reality. I ignore them in reality as well as in the forums. It shouldn't matter because IMHO you could look at APK as a whole and say it's a clique of traceurs/freerunners. *shrug* Just ignore it because it shouldn't matter.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
I personally don't think that there is a problem with internet cliques. It may not be that the socializing is the problem it may be the particular season. The more veteran members that are more interested in training (not saying that cliques don't train) are out training more because of the better weather. This causes them to not get on to check whats happening on the forum. I remember during the winter there seemed like a lot more discussions in General discussion. There is defiantly a cycle but the training and vids section is more alive then any other forum I've ever been on.

I really don't think there is a problem. I for instance don't post much but I read a lot. I do this because I can search and I'm still pretty new to parkour that said I have never had a problem with cliques or anyone when I do put my two cents in. Cliques will be here and many people would say (I think they are wrong) that traceures are cliques. It's all a matter of your certain point of view. 

I also think that we should quit this thread and go train tomorrow. I'm gonna try my best even with my hurt toe and wrist.      

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 07:54:46 PM »
Here's a selected reposting of what I said from the original thread. I feel it's still a little relavant here, if not already said in so-many words.

Before this turns into a clique war where everyone is against Night Hawks, or APK vs UF for example, there isn't anything intrinsicly wrong with cliques... There's only a small leap between "cliques" and teams, like "The APK Alliance" or "The Tribe."

The point where most people start to dislike other groups, in my experience, is when groups or members of groups start to step on toes of outsiders. However, this advise is also for everyone whther or not they choose o be  in a group or not. Please, be civil. Be respectful. Try to not give any reason for people to hate on you or your group. Try to follow Chris's above-mentioned recommendations.

Again, this is not directed towards Night Hawks nor is it saying anyone in Night Hawks doesn't do any of these things. I'm cool with people getting together and banding up. Our country wouldn't be around if it weren't for doing that.

Bottom line: when people go online here, they don't want to be annoyed. They want to learn and enjoy themselves. It is a community effort to mantain this happy environment, and you reading this (!) share some of that responcibility. Remember that

...and I would LOVE to go training tomarrow. My tendonitis is doing a lot better and my hip feels almost 100%. Tomarrow shall be "Go Out and Train! Yeah, Traceur Unity Day!" ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:08:20 PM by Happy Fries »
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships