Author Topic: Stop it with the internet cliques.  (Read 9459 times)

WoodlandGhillie

Re: Stop it with the internet cliques.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
The last one actually has most of its members go out and train every day.

Js.

Yeah, I totally respect all the Gorilla PK guys. They actually have some kind of relation to real training.

Things like the Roof Police and Night Hawks, I don't particularly care for.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 04:18:36 PM »
Okay, I'll start off with clean slate and also attempt to reply to some of the posts in one generalization.

I've been on here long enough to see the start of what I call "Internet Cliques", (Grammar Nazis was the first one from my understanding), and I've seen what this has turned APK into. Real discussions concerning real issues in our training have slowed down significantly, while Internet socializing has increased dramatically. On top of that, these groups are started and people just join the bandwagon and go raging with it every chance they get, and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it makes them feel like their part of something, which in that case they are looking in the wrong place. What makes you part of the Parkour community is doing Parkour, and all of the hard work and training that comes with it. Not being part of some Internet elitist group. And if your looking for some Internet cred, earn it by being part of the important discussions through sharing your own personal experiences from Parkour in whatever way it applies to the discussion. Sometimes I think some of you post more than you actually train Parkour.

I may be wrong, but this is how I see it.

On a sidenote, in no way am I speaking of GorillaPK. That actually has focus on important discussion with Parkour training.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
I don't know of a single time where any of the night hawks have ever acted like elitists. This thread is a f#cking waste of time because no one of APK is like this. Evan stfu, you post in NH more than a lot of people. Roof police only advise people not to go off and do stupid shit that f#cks parkour's public view up. Grammar nazi was just a fun thread, but for those of us that don't appreciate people tipin leik stoopid fkz n waaztin peepz teim dcodin rrtrdd pstz.
If you think APK has a problem with any "cliques", you need to change your outlook on what trolls and forum problems are.
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »
I don't know of a single time where any of the night hawks have ever acted like elitists. This thread is a f#cking waste of time because no one of APK is like this. Evan stfu, you post in NH more than a lot of people. Roof police only advise people not to go off and do stupid shit that f#cks parkour's public view up. Grammar nazi was just a fun thread, but for those of us that don't appreciate people tipin leik stoopid fkz n waaztin peepz teim dcodin rrtrdd pstz.
If you think APK has a problem with any "cliques", you need to change your outlook on somethings.

Yes, I do post in the Night Hawk thread. I don't parade around with a Night Hawk banner, derail a few threads all the time, and I don't post irrelevant pictures in General Discussion. I like to keep General Discussion as how it should be: About parkour/freerunning.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
We haven't derailed a thread since the week NHs started. Having the sig means abso-f#cking-lutely nothing, just a sign of friendship. Who's getting hurt by it?
Shut up and Train

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
We haven't derailed a thread since the week NHs started. Having the sig means abso-f#cking-lutely nothing, just a sign of friendship. Who's getting hurt by it?

Andrew, didn't you semi-derail a thread like yesterday or today? I forgot what it was about, and your post wasn't completely irrelevant, but you got corrected and it's all good now.

Just saying.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
What thread?
Shut up and Train

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 04:36:13 PM »
Yes, I do post in the Night Hawk thread. I don't parade around with a Night Hawk banner, derail a few threads all the time, and I don't post irrelevant pictures in General Discussion. I like to keep General Discussion as how it should be: About parkour/freerunning.

i agree with evan on this one. i think a few of us fit in at least one of these (including me) and we should fix it.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
I've never claimed to be apart of any group or organisation other then being a community member of APK.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
i would like to start off by saying that outside of this week, which i have been too sick to stand for ten minutes with out vomiting then shitting myself, i train every chance i get.

i have to say David that this is the internet, and people are going to socialize. i don't see a problem with it as long as it stays it out of General. the fact that discussions about training have lower is true, but i highly doubt its because of these groups. APK has been around for a long time, so you can use the search bar for most things. not only that APK is cut into sections that make sense. there is a gen fit section, a general section, a socialize section (i assume made to keep it out of general) etc.

now im not sure when any group on APK became an "Internet Elitist Group". i have yet to so any group reject someone, or be mean to anyone. there may be some people that take it to far that i have not seen, but one persons actions should not represent a group.

as far as i know Roof police started to keep people safe and off of roofs. im not sure how grammar Nazis started though. night hawks started as a group of insomniacs and the night hawk thread was made to keep spam out of other threads. i fail to see how this is a problem. and for a group that started as a group of insomniacs we don't make anyone do anything to join, more than a group its just a thread in socialize.

If you think APK has a problem with any "cliques", you need to change your outlook on what trolls and forum problems are.
andrew please be respectful so we can solve this issue.

few night hawks derail threads, and we should not be responsible for one or two peoples actions
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
Thank you tex, and i think i'm being damn respectful for whats being said. Maybe i'm just in a pissy mood cause i haven't been able to train all summer and now i have strep throat. But i'm not gonna apologize for some shit i said on the internet. got an issue, PM me
Shut up and Train

Offline AdamE

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »
While I have few posts to my belt I'll add my two cents:

With no disrespect to the OP "internet cliques" are an innevitable outcome when dealing with large groups of people sharing the same general space. While we may like or dislike some of them, there's no real way to stop them from forming. This "sub-division" can be observed even in real like gatherings...take a house party for instance, there's always small groups that will form off the main body. That's just the way things work.

Now...whether or not we care for such groups is a personal choice, and I respect your opinion, but really all a topic of this nature does is help to solidify the bonds of said groups, and really adds nothing but conflict to this forum.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »
I went on a limb and posted something that a lot of people won't like, but I felt that it had to be said.

And I'm not talking about everyone on the forums. Just a generalization.

*NOTE: I DIDNT MAKE A THREAD OUT OF THIS. MY ONE REPLY WAS SPLIT FROM THE ONE DISCUSSION*
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:48:27 PM by David Jones »

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
I went on a limb and posted something that a lot of people won't like, but I felt that it had to be said.

And I'm not talking about everyone on the forums. Just a generalization.
then please name these ungoldy groups that seem to be destroying the forum.
While I have few posts to my belt I'll add my two cents:

With no disrespect to the OP "internet cliques" are an innevitable outcome when dealing with large groups of people sharing the same general space. While we may like or dislike some of them, there's no real way to stop them from forming. This "sub-division" can be observed even in real like gatherings...take a house party for instance, there's always small groups that will form off the main body. That's just the way things work.

Now...whether or not we care for such groups is a personal choice, and I respect your opinion, but really all a topic of this nature does is help to solidify the bonds of said groups, and really adds nothing but conflict to this forum.
adam is right (great post btw)
in real life the same stuff happens
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »
Thank you tex, and i think i'm being damn respectful for whats being said. Maybe i'm just in a pissy mood cause i haven't been able to train all summer and now i have strep throat. But i'm not gonna apologize for some shit i said on the internet. got an issue, PM me

PM sent.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
I feel like David kinda got thrown under the e-bus on this one. He posted a reply to someone else's thread, but his post [and a few others] were split into a new thread by a Moderator. Don't bash him for it.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
I feel like David kinda got thrown under the e-bus on this one. He posted a reply to someone else's thread, but his post [and a few others] were split into a new thread by a Moderator. Don't bash him for it.

Fixed up the OP so hopefully the confusion slows down.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »
im not bashing him, i want this to be solved. however pussy-footing around the subject will not solve anything. so please name the groups that are causing problems and how they are doing so. that way we can solve this.

no one will hold it against you, you feel it is a problem, ive seen you mention it a few times before. so lets solve it. i do not want anyone to feel alienated in this forum.

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
im not bashing him, i want this to be solved. however pussy-footing around the subject will not solve anything. so please name the groups that are causing problems and how they are doing so. that way we can solve this.

no one will hold it against you, you feel it is a problem, ive seen you mention it a few times before. so lets solve it. i do not want anyone to feel alienated in this forum.

agreed.

Offline S Leger

• Mangabey
  • I move for him because he died for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »
I think this thread should be closed because it's getting very useless talking about who's in what clique and whether cliques are bad or not.  Whether you're in a clique or not, you're still a traceur who's part of the APK community, which is sort of (note i said sort of) like it's own clique in the global parkour community.  The groups on this website don't have a huge negative impact on this forum so I think we should just forget about this subject and move on.
I'm a treysaur for God!

Looking for new music?  Check out my music blog!  http://www.gnewmusic.blogspot.com