Author Topic: Newbies and Parkour  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
Newbies and Parkour
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Just curios how do you all deal with those that come and ask you to teach them?

I've had several people at school ask me that... I judge them through conditioning. If they complain and drop out stuff I won't help. I'll tell them re-think what they know and become more dedicated or just forget about it. I make them condition anytime I see them. Even in the hallway during lunch I'll call out to them, "Ten push-ups!" and expect them to drop and start doing those push-ups. I drop and do them too obviously. I don't start teaching anything minus landings and rolls. I've been called hard-ass, sir (almost like a boot camp call), and quite a few other things by my crew because I run them hard. If they can't stand up to me, how could they live if they trained with someone like Ozzi? So if they can't holdup and stay with it I don't train them. I tell them to give up or keep up. Of course during this entire time I explain the philosophy, motives, ideals, ect. of parkour. Only if they prove to me they are dedicated will I take them to the next step and start training. I remember one of them saying, "I have to earn the fun."
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
Re: Newbies and Parkour
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
well everyone starts at level 1 and you just gotta help them work their way up. its like weight lifting... if you go 2 a gym 2 work out, and youve never lifted weights b4 and u go straight to lifting a heavy amount like 50 lbs or 60 lbs then of course your not gonna be able to do it. you have to work your way up to that level by starting off at a weight that you can do and start from there. and push ups too... dont just give them 100 push ups right off the bat because 100 good push ups (break 90 degrees) are hard to many people. at least lower it to 50 and make sets or something like 5 sets of 10 push ups so they can still get a good work out and not be over exhausted. point is, everyone starts off somewhere and that somewhere is different to everybody. try take note of how many push ups they can do first and from there, think of easy but good exercises/sets to help them build muscle so they can work their way up.

the dedication thing (to me) is measured on how fun they are having when they are actually practicing parkour. if theyre having fun, then of course they will want to keep practicing so they can have a good time. but if you make training boring or frustrating, then of course they wont want to keep doing it or try it because they will just think that, thats what parkour is. just show them how to do vaults and what not (but rolls and safety drops first please) and encourage, motivate, and have fun with them so they will see for themselves how much fun parkour is and so they can have a better understanding of parkour.
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: Newbies and Parkour
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »

I judge them through conditioning. If they complain and drop out stuff I won't help. I'll tell them re-think what they know and become more dedicated or just forget about it.

While judging thru conditioning is going to give a pretty good idea, you gotta be straight forward yet "gentile" with it. fun, conditioning is also movement, drills. That can develop the strength your are looking to aid them achieve. Plus is funner.

Instead of push up or pull ups they could just climb trees and rocks.

Asking them to rethink is probably better replace with, why do you want to do parkour? Let me tell you why is conditioning so necessary, them from there, theyll make their own assestment on whether they wanna do it or not. Always motivate do not discourage.

I make them condition anytime I see them. Even in the hallway during lunch I'll call out to them, "Ten push-ups!" and expect them to drop and start doing those push-ups. I drop and do them too obviously.

Ahh, the check game, although, yeah you sound more demanding and bossy.

The idea of the check game is to call out a technique, exercise or drill with its respective name then "check it". I.e, hand stand, check, 10 pulls ups check, back flip check etc. You can only check on things you can obviously do for you will have to do them too. And you are usually supposed to do them first, not always the case.

You can call it any time, but if you ever say it by accident cuz they asked. what did you just say? If you repeat it, thats one more check you have to complete so watch out with how you handle it ;) it could end up with a lot of the same "checks"..

I don't start teaching anything minus landings and rolls. I've been called hard-ass, sir (almost like a boot camp call), and quite a few other things by my crew because I run them hard. If they can't stand up to me, how could they live if they trained with someone like Ozzi? So if they can't holdup and stay with it I don't train them. I tell them to give up or keep up.

You can start teaching, like I said, movement. No names, no techniques. Just use your imagination for the most random stuff you would need to do in a particular situation. Baby steps.

You also gotta remember there is such thing as progression. If I expected everyone to workout at "my pace" then well definitely have a different crowd jamming with us. Everyone at the jams work together, there are modifications you can do to exercises to make it easIER for someone.... You just dont tell them to give up. NEVER!

Of course during this entire time I explain the philosophy, motives, ideals, etc. of parkour. Only if they prove to me they are dedicated will I take them to the next step and start training. I remember one of them saying, "I have to earn the fun."

You cant explian a philosophy, it has to be felt, learned, "seen".
You can share it.
Motives are personal, you can share yours, but theirs could be different.

They dont need to prove YOU anything, it is not about you. It is about them learning the discipline as they get to know it. It is about proving to themselves THEY can do it. You are only being aid on their journey of physical discovery. It is not what you say that will help them continue, but what you inspire.

If you really want to be a parkout instructor you need to see it from the point of view that those who lack the physical conditioning or natural movement skill are the ones that really need your aid.

If you dont wanna train them, then send them my way ;)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi