Author Topic: Parkour and freerunning need a universal name.  (Read 9655 times)

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour and freerunning need a universal name.
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
too different
why not call swimming and tubing the same thing??
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »
Then you would need a multitude of definitions to fit everybody. At that point the definition becomes too confusing for any newcomer to understand what it is about. I think the definition of parkour is fine how it is currently. At some point in your training I think people discover their own definition of parkour.
i have heard three definintions

parkour

freerunning

tricking

they cover it all, leave it like it is, it works so there is no need to f#ck with it.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
I think Tex has it. Each of those fits.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »
Do you have an idea when that point is? I'd really like to know.

I would have to say it would vary depending on the person. I would compare it to a spiritual enlightenment. At some point you realize this is what parkour is to you. You develop your own meaning.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
lets start by getting the word "parkour" in the dictionary, every time i type it i get the squiggly red line :(
Shut up and Train

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
jacob, some where on this website i believe it says parkour is not what you make of it.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions right? This is my opinion of what parkour is. It works for me. Yours is different. That's fine. I don't even think I'm getting across what I want to say right. I am completely wiped out from a huge training session today so I'm barely keeping myself awake. I have my younger brother blasting music as loud as he can right next to me and kids screaming all over the place, so it's a little hard to think. Sorry if I'm not making too much of sense with any of my arguments.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 08:35:37 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions right? This is my opinion of what parkour is. It works for me. Yours is different. That's fine. I don't even think I'm getting across what I want to say right. I am completely wiped out from a huge training session today so I'm barely keeping myself awake. I have my younger brother blasting music as loud as he can right next to me and kids screaming all over the place, so it's a little hard to think. Sorry if I'm not making too much of sense with any of my arguments.

Don't argue, discuss. It's an open and positive forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
From RISE, page 56:

"And that’s sort of true. Parkour doesn’t change. It’s not what you make of it. It’s what it makes of you."

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
From RISE, page 56:

"And that’s sort of true. Parkour doesn’t change. It’s not what you make of it. It’s what it makes of you."
this is how i feel

you are entitled to your opinion, but parkour does not change, it is what it is. and it will remain that way.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:02 PM »
this is how i feel

you are entitled to your opinion, but parkour does not change, it is what it is. and it will remain that way.

There are two sides of parkour. Mental and physical. The physical side does not change, but the mental one does.

Don't argue, discuss. It's an open and positive forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Sorry, arguments was the wrong word choice there. Like I said, many, many distractions.  =/

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
From RISE, page 56:

win
Shut up and Train

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
There are two sides of parkour. Mental and physical. The physical side does not change, but the mental one does.

Sorry, arguments was the wrong word choice there. Like I said, many, many distractions.  =/

having distractions is no excuses

and yes there are two sides, but the physical side is what it is. the mental has more to do with why you do it. therefore if we made a name because of the mental side everyone would need a different name

again
i have heard three definintions

parkour

freerunning

tricking

they cover it all, leave it like it is, it works so there is no need to f#ck with it.

don't fix what isn't broken.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »
having distractions is no excuses

I'm not making excuses.  I was just saying that I cannot think clearly on what I want to say so that I can 100% say what I want to say.

and yes there are two sides, but the physical side is what it is. the mental has more to do with why you do it. therefore if we made a name because of the mental side everyone would need a different name

Ok. I have my opinion, you have yours. I think you have misunderstood what I was saying, but only because I don't think I'm saying what I want to say right. I will come back tomorrow after a night of sleep and see if I can reiterate my point clearly and correctly. As for right now though, I'm getting off and heading for bed.

Zelseus

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »
Oh man. I've lost track of what's being discussed. :P

I think that if you generalize these terms further, it won't matter if you mean it to encompass parkour, freerunning, and tricking, etc, because in the end, people will hear the term and only refer to one of the disciplines.

As an example, when most people hear the term 'hockey', they imagine ice hockey. Though, there's also roller hockey. Also, basketball can be played with many different rule-sets, whether you're on an NBA court or on the playground, so in the end, the generalization's meaning is up to the interpreter. If you want people to know and/or respect what you're doing, you should define it well as to not bewilder them. If you don't want them to know, just say you're having fun.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:50:23 PM by Anthony Garcia »

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
Quite frankly, this arguement is really gettin on my last nerve! Hopefully y'all can accept my words, and I'll educate you once and for on this subject, so that you can go on to share this knowledge and (accuratly) educate others. Let it be known that most of my teaching derive directlly from the words of Stephane Vigroux, The Yamakazi(including both David Belle and Sebastien Foucan), and My mentor in both life and Parkour, John Conway (practioner of over 5 years and 1 of only 2 A.D.A.P.T. certified Practitioners in the U.S.)
That's not what the Yamakasi say. They say it's all the same thing and to stop worrying about titles or trying to differentiate the two and just move. We all move. We all train the same things. Why do their have to be two different titles? L'art du dèplacement is the original name, later changed to parkour, and later changed to freerunning to introduce the concept to America. Regardless of what you call it its the same thing. I have no clue why people argue this. It's a pointless debate when time is better spent learning that new move your trying to get.
this is an almost flawless direct qoute from Châu Belle and (to a point) Yann Henautra at the American Randezvous.

You had discussed the Physical and Mental Aspects with the Mental Aspect changing. Your on the right path, but this is not quite correct. You fail to mention the third Aspect, the Spiritual Aspect, which you mistook as part of the Mental Aspect. You see, its the Spiritual Aspect that is this much more personal and differing Aspect. The Three Aspects are as follows:
Physical - the actual movements that are observed,  as well as the physical training and conditioning.
Mental - The philosophies that dictate a Traceur/euse's choises and dicisions at every level in both training and life EX: "être forte, pour être utile", "One heart, One core"(A.K.A. "Fraternity" or "Brotherhood"), "Slow, safe progression," etc.
Spiritual - deeply personal, differenshiating charictaristic, including "Why you practice Parkour" and "What the discipline means to you".

In the end, Parkour, Freerunning, and L'art du déplacement, DO NOT differ by definition, only in sentiment of each individual practitioner. Although Tricking tends to be a seprate art do to most trickers' lack of large chunks of the Mental Aspect.

hehehehehe btw, yes, the term proposed as a verb meaning "To practice/do/train Parkour" was indeed "Traceing," which im quite fond of. But that discussion is one for differant thread
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »
Quite frankly, this arguement is really gettin on my last nerve! Hopefully y'all can accept my words, and I'll educate you once and for on this subject, so that you can go on to share this knowledge and (accuratly) educate others. Let it be known that most of my teaching derive directlly from the words of Stephane Vigroux, The Yamakazi(including both David Belle and Sebastien Foucan), and My mentor in both life and Parkour, John Conway (practioner of over 5 years and 1 of only 2 A.D.A.P.T. certified Practitioners in the U.S.) this is an almost flawless direct qoute from Châu Belle and (to a point) Yann Henautra at the American Randezvous.

You had discussed the Physical and Mental Aspects with the Mental Aspect changing. Your on the right path, but this is not quite correct. You fail to mention the third Aspect, the Spiritual Aspect, which you mistook as part of the Mental Aspect. You see, its the Spiritual Aspect that is this much more personal and differing Aspect. The Three Aspects are as follows:
Physical - the actual movements that are observed,  as well as the physical training and conditioning.
Mental - The philosophies that dictate a Traceur/euse's choises and dicisions at every level in both training and life EX: "être forte, pour être utile", "One heart, One core"(A.K.A. "Fraternity" or "Brotherhood"), "Slow, safe progression," etc.
Spiritual - deeply personal, differenshiating charictaristic, including "Why you practice Parkour" and "What the discipline means to you".

In the end, Parkour, Freerunning, and L'art du déplacement, DO NOT differ by definition, only in sentiment of each individual practitioner. Although Tricking tends to be a seprate art do to most trickers' lack of large chunks of the Mental Aspect.

hehehehehe btw, yes, the term proposed as a verb meaning "To practice/do/train Parkour" was indeed "Traceing," which im quite fond of. But that discussion is one for differant thread

thank you for this educating post :D

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »
Quite frankly, this arguement is really gettin on my last nerve! Hopefully y'all can accept my words, and I'll educate you once and for on this subject, so that you can go on to share this knowledge and (accuratly) educate others. Let it be known that most of my teaching derive directlly from the words of Stephane Vigroux, The Yamakazi(including both David Belle and Sebastien Foucan), and My mentor in both life and Parkour, John Conway (practioner of over 5 years and 1 of only 2 A.D.A.P.T. certified Practitioners in the U.S.) this is an almost flawless direct qoute from Châu Belle and (to a point) Yann Henautra at the American Randezvous.

These views also mirror my own.  Keep cool heads guys or this will become locked.  If your having issues about names start reading the founders views on things.  ALSO.... the term FREERUNNING was Coined by Channel 4 in the documentary, Jump London, to describe what PARKOUR was to an English audience.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:19:29 AM by FreeStyleFox »
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Zelseus

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2010, 01:51:27 AM »
These views also mirror my own.  Keep cool heads guys or this will become locked.  If your having issues about names start reading the founders views on things.  ALSO.... the term FREERUNNING was Coined by Channel 4 in the documentary, Jump London, to describe what PARKOUR was to an English audience.   

Not that I claim to know much about the origins about everything here, but this goes to show what I said about the generalization interpretation above. Even though freerunning was supposed to be another term for parkour, or rather a term to make it sound simpler for us, it was still kind of diffused into its own meaning/discipline because of an innate, human longing for defined complexity.  :-Sarcasm

:P It seems like we don't need things to be more simplified than they already are because the community of practitioners as a whole decided to split the meanings up instead of sticking with just one meaning (parkour/freerunning).

Whether you consider there to be a difference in the meanings at all or not, they're so similar that we can all learn from each other and enjoy each other's company. The only reason I see that people will argue about meanings is because they seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to the specific discipline/movements they like the most. Case in point, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:54:32 AM by Anthony Garcia »

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 02:10:37 AM »
Know your past or your future will be history.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."