Author Topic: "what is parkour" video idea. drafting. help?  (Read 933 times)

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
"what is parkour" video idea. drafting. help?
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
I thought someone should go ahead and make a video that once and for all, explains what parkour is and isn't. Adressing media perceptions so we can finally explain it to people who don't know. Right now, it is just what I wrote from my expirience. I'm sure everyone on here has their 2 cents to put in, and I am welcome to the idea.

Imagine someone with an awesome voice with faint epic background music reading this:
What is parkour? That question is asked by hundreds of thousands of people. Everyone is told something. Not everyone is correctly informed. News teams try to get correct information, but hardly ever succeed. People who have never trained parkour either don't know it exists or just follow the media's perception. Newcomers will always ask that question, and it may take years of learning, unlearning and relearning to sift through the falacies.

What is parkour? First of all, parkour is not a reckless sport about jumping off buildings for thrills. It is none of those things. It is a total discipline. It quickly strengthens you and changes your lifestyle to something more active and healthy. Parkour is also very safe. Sure, what you see in videos are people jumping over things at high speeds, sometimes hardly looking where they're going. What you don't see are the thousands of hours of conditioning they did, and how long it took them to safely build up to what they do.

If you spend more than 5 minutes in any parkour forum, you will learn that high drops are bad for you and you shouldn't do them often. Another 5 minutes teaches you that there is nothing you can train on a roof that you can't train somewhere safe. Common sense points out that by that logic, parkour is against rooftop jumping unless you are completely trained and can do it safely.

What is parkour? It isn't an internet fad for stupid thrill seeking kids. People learn about it from the internet, mostly because they don't have places to learn about it in person. Parkour really isn't very thrilling in the technical sense. Most of our time is spent doing insanely difficult workouts. Gritting your teeth and pushing one more into the set of muscle-ups isn't a great way to find thrill.

When I jump over a large gap, it isn't to feel the rush of no ground beneath me. I jump to prove to myself that I really can jump nine foot lengths. From the outside looking in, parkour looks like something extreme. From the inside, parkour is just us living life.

What is parkour?. Safely achieving more than you thought you could. Climbing higher than you thought you could. Jumping farther than everyone believed possible. Taking flight in a world where we are perceived as flightless.

That's all I have right now. Tell me what you think, or if something needs to be changed.
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: "what is parkour" video idea. drafting. help?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
Google or Youtube TK17 Go and TK17 Project Pilgrimage   ;)  Might give you some ideas.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
Google or Youtube TK17 Go and TK17 Project Pilgrimage   ;)  Might give you some ideas.

I've had trouble finding Project Pilgrimage. Nobody is seeding it for a torrent, and if you can find a direct download link, it's... not so great quality... :(

"Go" is still up though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT5vS92oAkg

Offline dsfargeg123

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:52:02 AM »
Have you checked out the documentary "Point B"?
It really addresses many of these questions pretty well.
http://www.pointbmovie.com

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:36 AM »
You asked what PK is 3 times. Somehow, the sentences kinda break the flow.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
It's a good idea. If only someone had done exactly that, say, about a year and a half ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poph6Jmc688 (although opinions about awesome voice vary) ;)
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »
Just search youtube or vimeo for tk17 pilgrimage.   ;)
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."