Author Topic: Roof jumping: Question!  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Michael LaMartin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Roof jumping: Question!
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
ok, so i KNOW, because ive ben training a few years now, that most are completely against jumping off and from/too roof to roof, but
im starting to notice that as you get better and better, your curiosities in abilities start too... wonder. :)
which led to me being up on a ton of different roofs in downtown bethlehem in pennsylvania yesterday. i think that if we know our limits,
and we actually TRAIN FOR, (not just be some idiot jumping into it and start jumpin off shit) doing it, its a very nice skill to have,
and also good for overcoming fears, and if you take the time to learn your surroundings via rooftops, it could be great knowledge to have.
so hopefully, if most/some of you are open minded and can think about it, how do you guys feel about the idea?
and secondly, before one like me or others starts really doing it, how should we start out getting into it? like, slowly workling our way with different hieghts and distances? thank;. thought it'd be an interesting conversation. :)
if you can bench 200 pounds, thats nothing.
if you can lift your own body weight,
well now, you can get yourself over a wall.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Roof jumping: Question!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
I'll try to be as unbiased as possible. :)

1. Make sure you have permission to be on whatever roof you want to be on.
2. Progression is the key to everything we learn in parkour. Start small and safe, progress up, while keeping it as safe as possible. Do something like, instead of jumping the actual gap, simulate it on the ground and jump it. Actual roof jumps should be reserved for breaking the fear or just for the "fun" of it.
3.The reason most of us discourage roof jumping, is because newcomers think that's parkour, and end up doing something that hurts/kills them. It's less serious if someone thinks parkour is all flips, because flips are not that dangerous compared to roof jumping.

In any case, if you train the right way, you'll achieve. You'll be jumping roofs like the yamakasi.

Offline Zak_Auwalu

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
Be currful :p

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
hazim said it all...or at least most of it ;D

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
Doing jumps at height was an important part of the training of the original traceurs. There was reason for this it means of developing courage and absolute confidence in your abilities. You will gain all the physical and technical capacities by training at the ground level, the training at height is about the development of  the strong spirit, and strong mind.

You have to have unshakeable faith in you ability to accomplish what you are going to do but also accept the consequences of failure. You are literally taking your life in your hands.

When you are jumping at height the question is not can I do it. The question is there any possibility I can fail. On ly if you have that unshakeable faith and total focus should you jump.

When that is there though yes there is a benefit to accomplishing this type of jump, your mind is strengthened.

I can not warn people enough that there is a huge danger to doing this before you are ready and even after you are ready. You have to really ask yourself why you want to do these types of jump. Its not something that should come from an ego standpoint or a desire just do what you see in videos its got to be something from within something that feels completely true to yourself.

The yamakasi makes students train with them full time for one year before allowing these types of jumps. I trained for 5 years before this became a part of my training I truly felt was worthwhile.   Our best students who have know been with us for a year are physically super capable but mental there not there yet.

For many people there is no reason to ever train these jumps I would say for most people who train parkour approaching this type of training will never be worthwhile. You really have to know what your seeking through your training before you decide whether this is worthwhile for you. Don't do it just to do it.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
If the roof is only 1 storey it's okay, just make sure your good enough, roofs are great places to practice cat leaps, running jumps, etc!

And they give you more confidence as well!

Everyone's so anti-roof (lol) on these forums, I say go ahead if you feel your ready, tons of guys in the UK are on roofs all the time even without 5 years experience, some maybe 1 year only. If you master all the ground stuff and you don't go on the roofs, your just limiting yourself not only physically, but mentally as well. Who knows if you get chased up on a roof and there's a jump you can do to escape. Nothing wrong with extra preperation.

Offline Jake Garner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
I think people are still shaken up by what's happened before. A kid with little experience was on the roof of a parking garage. He messed up, and fell 8 stories. We all just want to get the word out so nothing like that happens again.
"There's so much oxygen, that I forgot to breathe"
"Create, Cognize, and Recognize"

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
Theres nothing you can do on a roof that you can't do on the ground.
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
Theres nothing you can do on a roof that you can't do on the ground.

Yes, there is roof jumping. :)
But again, you need to be in a dense urban environment to have any real fun on a roof. Roofs are awesome in France and the UK because they actually care about architecture. Most accessible roofs in the US are just plain and flat, boring. :P

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »
I like to take a no BS approach to parkour. Roofs are not inherintely bad. It's being stupid on roofs that's bad. But that's surival of the fittest I suppose.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
roofs dont kill people, stupid people on roofs kill themself
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »

2. Progression is the key to everything we learn in parkour. Start small and safe, progress up, while keeping it as safe as possible. Do something like, instead of jumping the actual gap, simulate it on the ground and jump it. Actual roof jumps should be reserved for breaking the fear or just for the "fun" of it.
3.The reason most of us discourage roof jumping, is because newcomers think that's parkour, and end up doing something that hurts/kills them. It's less serious if someone thinks parkour is all flips, because flips are not that dangerous compared to roof jumping.

In any case, if you train the right way, you'll achieve. You'll be jumping roofs like the yamakasi.
Amen to that. Nobody wants anyone here to be in a position of training that is stupid, like doing roof-jumps just because you can. If, say, you come up with a plan to explore the rooftops in the scenario you may need to use them (life and death), then its smart to do it, but within reason and using caution.
For instance, don't be unreasonable and try to jump a gap you'll need to catch yourself on the legde of a building 5 stories up. Because that increases your chance of having a sudden, jolting stop...

So yeah, explore, be safe, and be reasonable.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:40 AM »
@Hazim and Shae:

Thank you for being the most sensible people commenting on this topic/concept that I've seen on APK. Agreed 100%.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Sharipov

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
Doing jumps at height was an important part of the training of the original traceurs. There was reason for this it means of developing courage and absolute confidence in your abilities. You will gain all the physical and technical capacities by training at the ground level, the training at height is about the development of  the strong spirit, and strong mind.

You have to have unshakeable faith in you ability to accomplish what you are going to do but also accept the consequences of failure. You are literally taking your life in your hands.

When you are jumping at height the question is not can I do it. The question is there any possibility I can fail. On ly if you have that unshakeable faith and total focus should you jump.

When that is there though yes there is a benefit to accomplishing this type of jump, your mind is strengthened.

I can not warn people enough that there is a huge danger to doing this before you are ready and even after you are ready. You have to really ask yourself why you want to do these types of jump. Its not something that should come from an ego standpoint or a desire just do what you see in videos its got to be something from within something that feels completely true to yourself.

The yamakasi makes students train with them full time for one year before allowing these types of jumps. I trained for 5 years before this became a part of my training I truly felt was worthwhile.   Our best students who have know been with us for a year are physically super capable but mental there not there yet.

For many people there is no reason to ever train these jumps I would say for most people who train parkour approaching this type of training will never be worthwhile. You really have to know what your seeking through your training before you decide whether this is worthwhile for you. Don't do it just to do it.

Great ideas and genuin advices.
I respect them.
I like them but unfortunately not all tracer have same point of view.

Offline Michael LaMartin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »

haha this i agree with entirely

Offline Michael LaMartin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
Rafe and Hazim have good points.
i thought this'd be a good conversation,
i agree wit this entirely, now i feel the most important part is to take baby steps,
ive learned that with parkour, when training before you go big you must start small.
i feel that when we are closed minded at the idea of jumping from roof to roof it gets in the way,
more than not the reasoning behind this is false evidence appearing real. fear.
if we know unmistakably that we wont falter when we make the jump, then i think that by all means one should try it.
it opens up even more freedoms with the humans capabilities.
and the freedom to be able to explore from a different viewpoint is an unmistakably wonderful feeling.
if we are more of the newer trainers, the idea of doing it just to feel/look cool is completely reckless.
but if we've trained long enough, trained hard enough, being able to make these leaps is extremely benificial.
benifical to ourselves in ways such as focus, confidence, and mental as well as spiritual strength.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »

Couldn't agree more with Hazim. Though people have to remember
Co-Founder

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
quoted twice in one thread, nbd
Shut up and Train

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
quoted twice in one thread, nbd

ok lets not get cocky here.... *sarcasm*
Co-Founder

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
lol sorry
btw... another thing with roof jumping is... how high are the jumps and how far are the gaps?
more importantly, how are u getting down??
Shut up and Train