Author Topic: Biomechanics in Parkour  (Read 23422 times)

Offline lukeownzu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Ron Paul Election Homepage
Re: Biomechanics in Parkour
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
As already asked, (and I don't believe responded to)  Where will these results be posted?

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
Never quite finished it. This semester I wasn't able to take it as a class and haven't gotten around to working on it. Maybe I will finish it this winter break.

Offline Sam Groll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »
BUMP! Biggest bump of all time  :D

Sorry but I had to as I've read the whole thread which raised invaluable questions and answers I have not found anywhere else.

I have one thing I have particular interest in - that "the roll transfers vertical force into horizontal force" but it is argued (by me certainly) that vertical force and horizontal force are 2 different things and cannot be converted,

"Also, from what I know of physics(only class I got >100% in in HS and college)  the 'x' and 'y' axis are seperate.  Meaning that your forward momentum doesn't change the amount of force in your vertical fall.  A bullet falls at the same speed along the y-axis regardless of whether you drop it or its fired out of a gun.  Though I'm not sure if a roll increases the time component of a landing compared to a strait fall(ex. it gives you a greater amount of time to slow down).  "
- Nik "Nik" Horvat

it was mentioned earlier that it was not force but vertical momentum into horizontal momentum with the analogy of a ball being dropped on an angled surface.

"While this is true, the physics of rolls DO divert y momentum into x momentum. Think about dropping a ball vertically straight down onto a surface that is 45 degrees. It will bounce off that surface and go whichever way it is slanted at a pretty quick rate depending on how far it dropped. This concept is the same one with rolls as the feet act as a sloped surface for the body to convert vertical momentum into horizontal momentum. The better the roll (e.g. the better conversion of momentum from y to x axis), the less vertical momentum is on your joints which is good. However, obviously there will be some friction with you and the ground in the x direction so I'm not sure how much that plays into it. With an efficient roll though the friction won't hurt you though."
-Steve Low
So kinematic energy turned to potential then back to kinematic. Still I don't believe that knees and legs are as elastic as a tennis ball?

So is there merit in doing a roll from a straight vertical drop? Or is it only useful when horizontal motion is happening?
If there is no roll merit vertically I would be better trying to fight 'most of the force' (is it evn posi-bru to judge ''most force'' in a split second) above 90 bend on the knees and then dropping my knees past 90 with the remaining force?

Also anyone know if the paper or one like this was finished? The results would certainly answer my question and I think it is a great idea. Top effort Demon if you are still out there! Thanks mate.

first post: sorry to make one on spamming an old thread up :P , I'm a 6ft7in tall young guy in Australia who is hoping to add something more to runs everyday - mainly natural environments so tree climbing is on the list. Hence the interest on rolls
Its great to be part of this community, thankyou
Regards Sam Groll

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
My friend/former parkour club president that I recently went to a jam with on 4/19 referred me to a channel on YouTube titled ParkourScience. https://www.youtube.com/user/ParkourScience/videos. There are only a handful of videos there right now as of this post, but I think the channel’s host, Robert McFarlane, does a good job of putting some of these into perspective.

To me, parkour is still much more science, skill, and athleticism, than it is art, creativity or expression. I know that can be open to individual interpretation, but let’s face it. With parkour being such a physical discipline, there’s no doubt that science and physics are definitely involved.

I particularly found his #8 video, the one where he goes over the Kong Vault variations, to be insightful, since the basic Kong is what I hope to reconfirm next if I can still do.

Offline Chris_Selle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
From my experience it is better to do a standard landing from a straight vertical drop. However, you should never bottom out into the landing. You should actually recoil off the ground almost appearing to bounce, while maintaining a quiet landing. This recoil is caused by the constant muscle tension in your legs. Remember however, these landing effect your tendon strength more than they effect your muscle and tendons take much longer to recover. This drops should only be trained a few times a month I believe to allow tendons time to recover and prevent tendinitis.

Of course, you can attempt front flipping during a straight vertical drop and then rolling. (These are the cases I will argue flips are highly efficient) The flipping will put your body into the rolling motion before you reach the ground, therefore causing a smoother transition between the vertical and horizontal, taking more of the impact out of your legs. The flip may cause you to spend extra energy, but you take less impact with is the goal.
APK Instructor since March 2013
Phil 4:13
Isaiah 40:31