Author Topic: Biomechanics in Parkour  (Read 23440 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Biomechanics in Parkour
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »
Update:

Its been a semester of slow progress. Professor Kram has been great to work with but we have only been able to meet once a week for an hour a week. We did a lot of initial research into the topic and past, similar studies. Once we got that done, we had to write up a big report of our findings and submit a project proposal to the Human Resource Committee which is the group that gives permission to go ahead with the study and also to test on other people. They take a long time to process the proposal but we should be getting the go ahead pretty soon.

In the meantime, I have been busy constructing a large stair like structure with 6 different heights to jump off and test in the study. That is now complete and today we just installed the force measuring platform in the spot we need it to be. We are now ready to do preliminary tests on ourselves so that will be relieving to finally have some data. Once HRC approves our proposal, we will be able to start testing more people as well to get more data.

The initial plan was to get this whole thing done this semester but seeing as how the semester is almost done, it will be extending into the summer. Hopefully by the end of the summer we will have solid data and conclusions to share with the parkour community!

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks for actually doing this, man! I was thinking about this after I saw Fight Science on National Geographic and how amazing it would be for PK..

Can't wait to see the test data.. whenever that may be :P
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »
this is really awesome, and can really help out the worldwide parkour community, good luck!
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 06:59:18 PM »
I can't find this thread by searching the forums for "biomechanics", but I can find it by searching for "biomechanic".

Objective #2 – Determine the strength, flexibility, endurance, and skill of experienced and inexperienced parkour practitioners. To establish the basic levels of fitness required to safely perform different parkour movements at different scales of size

Question #1 – How great are the biomechanical loads on the body during parkour?

Basic levels of fitness are good. If the equipment can distinguish, it might also be useful to know which parts of the body receive however much of the load. It's probably already possible to figure out which parts of the body need to be trained before attempting a given movement, but I don't know whether this level of equipment would be necessary to ascertain (for a given practitioner) how much stress each part of their body would be capable of sustaining without injury.

If the equipment isn't necessary for that, individual traceurs could keep track of their own body's progress and cross-reference it with your findings to figure out which movements would be safe for them to attempt.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
*burns with anticipation* Demon, I sooooo can't wait to see what comes out of this!

*happy dances*
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline ComebackKid

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2007, 07:24:10 AM »
I agree with muse =]

this may be the best/coolest thing i've yet to see in ALL parkour communities.

Offline Darkwone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 04:33:50 AM »
Demon this is a great Idea and I really look forward to hearing your results.

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 06:06:25 AM »
Had an idea this weekend for something to test.  Not sure if its totally possible or not, but you are all smart people.  The difference between landing on concrete vs grass/dirt.  Is there really a big difference on the impact force or is it more mental.  I know it is softer to some degree, but by how much.
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 09:02:13 AM »
Ryan you blow my mind with the stuff you do! This is fanominal!

Here's an idea, but it may be to complex for your study. If you could, it'd be great to know how quickly things change when a Landing or move doesn't land right. For Example: Landing one footed on. This would basically be to have a deeper look into how to handle when something doesn't go right - if that makes sense.

I'd also love to see how much you are actually reducing your final impact when doing an inverse Tic-Tac (going down walls instead of up).

Great Work! Can't wait to see it Completed!
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Offline ComebackKid

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »
I was just curious if you had the means to do these two and if you'd consider performing the tests if even possible.

Suggestion 1:

Find a way to test the difference in the amount of stress/strain between a 10 year experianced traceur and an average person/beginner. By doing this we could release some of the benefits of parkour, hopefully proving parkour creates stronger joints and more dense bones.

Suggestion 2:

testing whether or not this article is true and if so does it still work if you wear low shock absorbing shoes such as Feiyue's.

http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,3935.0/

Offline mxzixxer636

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2007, 09:01:38 PM »
"hey demon, can you try finding out how much momentum you get from falling...instead of force from landing"

you can do this yourself with a good stop watch.  P=mv you know your mass distance and time your units will then be kg m/s

Offline Canavi

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »
Thanks for putting this together Demon.

Are you going to be able to have more than 1 person tested? I would want to see optimally 3 different size people and the comparison charts.
North Carolina Parkour/Free running
www.ncparkour.com

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2007, 06:41:13 PM »
Since there are a bunch of people who are wondering about what I am going to test...

I built a staircase type structure out of 2 by 4s and plywood. It has steps at varying heights from .25m all the way up to 2m. The force platform is a large metal plate type thing that is about 3 feet wide and 4 feet long. Participants will jump off the different heights. We will have skilled, unskilled, heavy, light, male, female, all kinds of people. We will measure impacts of different heights for different people using different landing techniques. Once we have all the data, I will put together a big reference for the parkour community. I will also have high speed camera footage to present. We will also draw conclusions on the safest/most efficient landing techs. We will also establish basic guidelines on strength/fitness levels needed to do parkour landings safely.

That's pretty much the summary of it all. Let me know if anyone has questions or suggestions.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
ABC has a transcript of an interview with Gordon Wallace, seems to be an interesting parallel to your work here. Might even develop into something capable of testing these factors outside the lab, eventually.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Tonyy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:43 PM »
Sounds great Demon! Thanks alot! Having a reference on that will be very helpful to the Parkour Community ^^

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2007, 09:13:43 PM »
been taking some preliminary data as i get used to the testing procedures and computer software. its been pretty fun and there is definitely solid data to back up some good conclusions on technique, landing impact, etc. we have solid data that silence really does mean lower peak impact. we have solid data that untrained people land with significantly higher peak impact than trained people at the same height. data that shows crouching rather than standing before a drop significantly lowers the peak impact of a drop. not really any surprises there, but the magnitude of some of these conclusions may surprise you...

gearsighted

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 04:34:29 AM »
Demon, this is awesome stuff. What will really be hot is when we can combine this with an understanding of kinesiology to help better-develop Parkour training and teaching criteria. I'm super-excited to see the results you come up with! Keep up the great work! :D

Moa

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:25 AM »
So from your basic data it seems like a quad landing would have the least impact

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »
Demon, this is awesome stuff. What will really be hot is when we can combine this with an understanding of kinesiology to help better-develop Parkour training and teaching criteria. I'm super-excited to see the results you come up with! Keep up the great work! :D

Agreed, 100%.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
Hey Ryan,

Do you think you could get graphs of the forces impacted over time (or at least puts tons of them up when they're published or whatever)? I would imagine that the peak impacts of untrained people are higher, but the trained people will have a more constant force over the whole time which effectively disperses it.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book