Author Topic: cramps  (Read 5517 times)

Offline parkourkid

• Patas
    • View Profile
cramps
« on: October 22, 2006, 05:30:27 PM »
hey i was practicing alot and the next day i got really bad cramps for like 3 days! do you guys have any suggestions on hownot to get carmps so much?

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: cramps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:45:13 PM »
Warmup, and stretch for like 10 minutes.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 05:55:19 PM »
You mean you were sore or you got cramps?  There is a difference.  Either way, warm up jog for 10-15 minutes and the stretch out.  It makes all the difference.  Also, eat bananas.  They help with cramps.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:59:28 PM »
Generally you're sore for a while after exercise, and you cramp up during exercise.

Offline HP

• Patas
  • We all have hidden potential.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:14:15 AM »
Cramps are the equivalent of someone taking a huge needle full of pain, agony, and little rusty razorblades coated with acid, and sticking it in the dead center of your eyeball.

Soreness is the equivalent of someone taking an electro-spikey stick and beating your muscles and joints over and over and over, not so hard as to cause extreme pain, but hard enought to annoy the F*** out of you with tiny morsels of pain.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:02:27 AM »
It's funny how bad information prevails.

Pre-workout Stretching will not make you not sore
"Warm-up" movements do not have to be useless, like jogging.

Check out the APK Warmup ... is there any jogging or jumping jacks? no. Any stretching? No. (exception: samson stretch - functional)

A warmup can be done entirely in FUNCTIONAL movement. try doing pushups, pullups, squats, situps and then 20 precision jumps for your warmup, trust, you'll be warm. the key to making them warmup movements is not to go at 100% intensity, start slow, start gently, doing the same functional movements, just at less intensity.

The point of warming up is twofold:
1. Raise the body's core temperature (which can also be done just by breathing, but that's for later)
2. "warm up" the muscles, or get their temperature up and have them have recently "moved"

Tell me how long you should jog for to raise the temperature of your arm muscles? Your chest? Back?

Any questions, check out CrossFit.com.

Now, as to how to be less sore, POST WORKOUT stretching will make you less sore. A cold bath will make you less sore. More exercise the next day will make you less sore.

As for the stretching, flexibility needs to only be at the level where it facilitates functional movement. Any more than that could be asking for unecessary injury!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:44:38 AM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:06:57 AM »
If you are getting cramps make sure you are drinking enough water. cramps will happen with dehydration, if its just soreness, warm up before doing activity and ice your sore muscles
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline parkourkid

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 02:16:33 PM »
thanks ill remember to warm up before practicing

Offline Canavi

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 06:36:39 PM »
Water and Bananas.
North Carolina Parkour/Free running
www.ncparkour.com

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 05:04:15 AM »
The point of warming up is twofold:
1. Raise the body's core temperature (which can also be done just by breathing, but that's for later)

Learn that from Yoga M2?

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 07:13:47 AM »
actually from Qigong ... but very similar to Pranayama in some ways.

People can try this as a fun exercise .. but do it sitting down, and not alone for the first time, as some people may actually pass out. - If you pass out, have someone slap the soles of your feet.

Deep breathing -
draw as deep of a breath as you can taking 8 seconds to take it in
hold it for a SLOW 8 count
breathe out slowly (8 count)
hold the breath out for an 8 count

as you draw the breath in, push your bely out, you'll feel this give your lungs more room. DON'T push yuor chest out, as for most people this actually decreases the volume of your lungs by raising your diaphragm.

repeat this 20 times.

Then, draw breathes as fast and as dep as you can for 20 breaths.

Sit cross-legged on the floor with your back straight and even slightly arched as you do this to keep everything in your frontal plane open. the best way (and this is a challenge too) is to hold your arms out to the sides, elbows slightly bent, palms facing up. You can also sit "yoga style" with your hands palm up on your knees.

Do this before you do a workout, if you paractice this every day for a year, you can be in a full sweat by the end of 4 minutes of breathing.
Be Useful.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »
Ha 8 second breathing?  Try 20 seconds in 20 hold and 20 out.  Its called wait for it, 1 minute breathing.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 07:09:42 PM »
Also 2 other things to add to M2's are "breath of fire" which is inhaling and exhaling in short quick bursts but make sure to pump your navel while doing it (navel is generally about 3 fingerlengths wide down from your belly button) and try to draw it all the way to your spine.  Another one that is good to do is breathing through your mouth with your tongue in a tunnel shape or straw (if you can't do this substitue with your tongue out side of your mouth slightly)  Do 27 of these breaths every day and it will help your lungs a lot especially with pollution.  At first if you do this it will taste bitter as the toxins are being flushed out but after a while it will be somewhat sweet.

Steez

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 08:33:26 PM »
M2,

running isn't functional?  i get that it doesn't really warm up the upper body, but it sure does for the lower and the respiratory system. 

im not saying only running as a warmup, but i don't think it should be shunned, it's just as useful as any other individual componant of a warmup.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 12:55:37 AM »
Steez, unless I misread, the thread only mentioned jogging, which is half-assed running, and not functional. When in any sport or activity do you purposely run slowly? Life is a series of short sprints, show me any parkour video with jogging in it? Yes, jogging would be the most effective if you had a large distance to cover and running was your only way to get there, but for a warm-up activity I'd say it's a very low grade activity. Sprinting on the other hand will warm you up very quickly. Someone in good shape can jog for 20 minutes without really being warm, nobody can sprint for 2 minutes without getting warm :)

Sat: you're speaking to a wide open audience, you don't know who's reading this or what their background is. Telling people to draw, hold and release a breath over a minute 20 times in a row will lead to more harm than good. That's why I scaled it to 8 seconds. I'm sure your ability is way beyond that, but I posted a suggestion for people to try. If most people try more than 6-8 seconds to start, they will lock up, tighten their throat, and have more negative effets than positive. your information on "Breath fo fire" is good ... that's why I said "then breath as fast and deep as you can for 20 seconds". :)
Be Useful.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
Ok yeah I wasn't really advocating people to try it which I should have posted before so oops.  Anyway yeah I didn't even realize thats what you were saying.

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
on the subject of cramps, sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and if i move my feet even slightly i get massive cramps in both calves, anyone know what thats about?

Offline parkourkid

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »
thats what happens to me thats why i started this disscussion 8)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 03:43:38 PM »
Your probably just flexing your calves during the night unconsciously.

Offline 7th__Samurai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »
ok did a wee bit of research and this is what i found from a site called myfootshop.com

Muscle cramps can be broken down into three main categories.

Ischemic

Metabolic

Biomechanical

Ischemia is the term used to describe a situation when there is insufficient circulation to tissue. When blood flow to a muscle is inadequate, the muscle will cramp. The pain that accompanies the cramp prompts us to walk or rub the cramp which in turn results in increased circulation. Ischemic cramping typically occurs at night and is called nocturnal claudication. Muscle cramping due to ischemia can also occur with exercise and is called intermittent claudication. Doctors will often ask patients with poor circulation to describe how far they can walk before the cramp and will use this as a measure of their peripheral vascular disease.

The most common metabolic deficiency that causes foot and leg cramping is low potassium. Hypokalemia (low potassium) can result from over exercise, use of diuretics (water pills) and a host of other reasons. Potassium is one of the two primary molecules that controls how our muscles work. In addition to potassium, sodium works to initiate muscle contraction and an imbalance or lack of these two salts will result in cramping

Biomechanics is the science of how the body moves. The biomechanics of walking and running is quite complex. The act of walking is a finely tuned symphony of brain messages and muscle contraction. If an imbalance is found in muscle groups and one group is forced to work too much, muscle cramping can occur. Muscle cramping happens often in the foot as evidenced by a cramp of the big toe or calf. As with ischemic cramping, we will be forced to walk off the cramp and in this case affecting the biomechanics. Biomechanical cramping can be helped with supportive shoes and arch supports.

Cramping can often be a sign of a more serious health problems and usually means that a trip to your family doctor may be in order. We recommend you visit your physician should you have any questions regarding cramping.

i also found this forum where people were discussing the same topic, there suggestions range from nutrient deficiency to a doctors visit, its http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-20743.html