Author Topic: Versus Thread  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Colby Zayne Gamache

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The best way out is through...
    • View Profile
    • Inertia Movements
Re: Versus Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »
MATCH: FRANK MARTIN vs. JASON BOURNE

Very tough to call.  On one hand, you have a U.S. Special Forces trained operative who is used to working outside the bounds of the law in Europe working as a smuggler.  In addition to small arms training, Martin possesses expert driving abilities with nearly any vehicle he can get his hands on (though he prefers the comforts of his Audis and Mercedes-Benz collection--custom fitted for his jobs).  CQC training is a definite plus Martin has in this area. 

Jason Bourne is a black-ops trained assassin who has no qualms about killing.  He is proficient in kali, escrima, krav maga, and versatile with all manner of arms ranging from pistols to sniper rifles.  He has excellent hand-to-hand reflexes and does not think twice about killing to save his life as he's been on the run for some time.

Martin gets a call from the C.I.A. to eliminate Jason Bourne and transport Bourne's head to their Paris office.  Location is given for Bourne--he's in Lisses, incidentally, trying to live out a life as a mechanic. 

The two have a John Woo style gunfight in the garage where Bourne works, before both men realize they're not going to be able to land a kill shot.  Hand to hand combat ensues, and spills onto the streets.  Bourne manages to grab a nightstick from a nearby thug when they crash into a bar and starts to wail on Martin, who laughs as he lays in a bloody mess on the bar floor. 

"What's so funny?" Bourne asks.  "I hope it's good, because you have about five seconds before you leave this planet."

Martin hits a button on his watch.  "No, arsehole.  You've got five seconds before my ride gets here."

Bourne turns at the last second to see Frank Martin's Audi 3000 crashing through the walls of the Lisses bar, slamming into him at 70 miles per hour.  The impact shatters Bourne's ribs, punctures a lung, and leaves the man who eluded the C.I.A. gasping for his final breath on the floor in a pool of blood. 

Martin stands over him, gun leveled at Bourne's forehead.  "Do it," Bourne struggles to speak.  "End this.  Then I can stop running." 

Martin responds by ejecting the magazine from his 9 milimeter, un-chambering the bullet, and getting in his car.  "You're not worth getting another dent in my car, and the CIA can handle their own mess.  Sod off." 

Cue a slow drive into the sunset as Frank Martin questions his resolve to stay in the crime business.

WINNER: Frank Martin

chris, i love you. rotfl

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
I have to do it.

Lyoto Machida vs. Shogun Rua. Part 3.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Harry Smith

• What's up Andrew?
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
Bruce Campbell vs. Sean Connery
WHO WOULD WIN?

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »
Pluto vs. Science
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
Bruce Campbell vs. Sean Connery
WHO WOULD WIN?

Bruce campbell...duh :P

cj4826

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »
Andrew-Science won already. The whole stupid dwarf planet thing. Unless you're referring to the dog or the person haha.
Rebecca-I honestly couldn't say, I haven't watched anything like that on TV in a long time, and i haven't kept up to date with it.

Captain America vs. Wolverine. (just for the sake of argument, we'll assume Cap's shield can cut through adamantium and Wolverine's claws can cut through his shield.)

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »
Andrew-Science won already. The whole stupid dwarf planet thing. Unless you're referring to the dog or the person haha.
Rebecca-I honestly couldn't say, I haven't watched anything like that on TV in a long time, and i haven't kept up to date with it.

Captain America vs. Wolverine. (just for the sake of argument, we'll assume Cap's shield can cut through adamantium and Wolverine's claws can cut through his shield.)

Can wolverine still regenerate?

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
I am in a Writing Mood.  This does not bode well for the health and bodies of the individuals listed in this Versus thread. 

Before I work, I need clarifications: 

Rebecca: Traditional MMA rules or shoot-box, Vale Tudo, to the death? 

Harrison:  Which incarnation of each?  It's different if we're talking say Bruce Campbell as Ash vs. Connery as Bond, or Bruce Campbell as Brisco County Jr. and Connery as the Cop from Rising Sun. 

And Wolvie had still better have his healing factor.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Marquiz Xavier Teniente

• Patas
  • As the spirit wanes, the form appears.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
Cyril Raffaelli vs Jackie Chan

I think the ensuing parkour hybrid fight would be totally worth watching. For added kicks I think they would both fight though a ladder, while trying not to break the item they're holding, on a bus, in a fire.
"In 1953-1954 we dérived for three or four months straight. That’s the extreme limit. It’s a miracle it didn’t kill us."
—Ivan Chtcheglov

cj4826

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
I am in a Writing Mood.  This does not bode well for the health and bodies of the individuals listed in this Versus thread. 

Before I work, I need clarifications: 

Rebecca: Traditional MMA rules or shoot-box, Vale Tudo, to the death? 

Harrison:  Which incarnation of each?  It's different if we're talking say Bruce Campbell as Ash vs. Connery as Bond, or Bruce Campbell as Brisco County Jr. and Connery as the Cop from Rising Sun. 

And Wolvie had still better have his healing factor.
Yes his healing factor is at its maximum potential. (He survived a nuclear blast which turned him into oblivion in one comic, just to clarify) He can regenerate from virtually almost everything. Oh, and I think Ash vs. Bond would be great.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
HEHEHEHEHEEEE....I was hoping someone would suggest Ash vs. Bond.  It is the singularly most logical match-up in this progression, and it lends itself to all manner of twisted goodness. 

Wolvie's had his healing factor suspended a couple of times, so I didn't know. 

Will commence to work on my very own version of Deadliest Warrior: APK tonight. 

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

cj4826

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
HEHEHEHEHEEEE....I was hoping someone would suggest Ash vs. Bond.  It is the singularly most logical match-up in this progression, and it lends itself to all manner of twisted goodness. 

Wolvie's had his healing factor suspended a couple of times, so I didn't know. 

Will commence to work on my very own version of Deadliest Warrior: APK tonight. 
Ash vs. Bond is what popped into my head in the first place anyway, and then I thought of Brucie in Burn Notice. Deadliest Warrior: APK? Now this I gotta see.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »
That's basically what we're doing here, isn't it? 

Taking fictional scenarios that would never happen, analyzing the heck out of them, and placing said fictional scenarios in a duel to the death (or other potential rule situations).  Deadliest Warrior. 

I have begun work on Ash vs. Bond and Wolvie vs. Cap.  I have but one further question for the latter:

Which Captain America are we dealing with?  Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, or Frank Castle?  Each has their own series of (no pun intended) X factors they bring to the fight.

cj4826

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
That's basically what we're doing here, isn't it? 

Taking fictional scenarios that would never happen, analyzing the heck out of them, and placing said fictional scenarios in a duel to the death (or other potential rule situations).  Deadliest Warrior. 

I have begun work on Ash vs. Bond and Wolvie vs. Cap.  I have but one further question for the latter:

Which Captain America are we dealing with?  Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, or Frank Castle?  Each has their own series of (no pun intended) X factors they bring to the fight.
I don't know much about Captain America but Frank Castle was The Punisher. Am I missing something here?

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
I don't know much about Captain America but Frank Castle was The Punisher. Am I missing something here?

Yes.  There have been three Captain Americas.  Allow me to explain each, and then you may make your selection from there. 

The original Captain America was Steve Rogers, a kid who attempted to join the Army during World War 2.  He was graded as a 4-F rejection, but later returned as America's Star Spangled Hero after being injected with the Super Soldier serum.  He's the one most people think of, and probably the most enduring--Rogers went through WW2, the Korean War, Vietnam, etc.  He led the Avengers, worked with S.H.I.E.L.D., and served as the leader of the rebellion during Marvel's Civil War.  Rogers has heightened reflexes, advanced strength, and extreme proficiency in hand-to-hand combat.  He refuses to kill, though, unless absolutely necessary. 

During the Civil War story, Rogers was struck by an assassin's bullet on the way to stand trial for leading the resistance to the Superhuman Registration Act.  For a time, Frank Castle--yes, the Punisher--picked up the mantle of Captain America, and served as a much darker version of America's hero. 

The most current Captain America was once Steve Rogers' sidekick, "Bucky" Barnes.  Barnes is far more experienced in the field of counter-terrorism, an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. operative, and did a stint as the Winter Soldier.  He also does not have qualms about taking life (much to Rogers' chagrin).  Barnes also is a master of hand-to-hand combat, but prefers small arms (pistols, light SMGs) if possible over the shield. He also lacks the advantages of the Super Soldier serum.   

cj4826

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
Bucky Barnes seems pretty hardcore, but without the Super Soldier serum, he's at a major disadvantage. So, how about Steve? He's the "traditional" Captain America i was thinking of anyway.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Hokay.  Before we get to the actual fights themselves, here's the pre-fight analysis for each of the upcoming bouts. 

MATCH ONE: ASH vs. JAMES BOND

This seems a little lop-sided of a fight to me.  Ash has the whole "BAMF" personality going for him.  He's got no fear after having stared down the Army of Darkness and winning.  Ash, an experienced demon-hunter, has no special powers and abilities.  He does possess a working knowledge of basic chemistry (with regards to explosives in particular), a sawed-off shotgun in this fight, and for close-quarters combat a chainsaw for one hand.  He is completely and utterly devoid of fear when it comes to anyone or anything.  Beyond that, he is also an incredible brawler.

James Bond, on the other hand, is part of Britain's MI-6 department, Her Majesty's Secret Service.  Bond possesses a "00" class License to Kill.  He is proficient in karate and judo, a master of all possible small arms (although he prefers the Walther PPK), and has sniper-level proficiency.  Bond has experience in tactical driving, a department full of gadgetry for Spycraft behind him in MI-6's "Q" branch, and is far more adapt at the mental game when it comes to combat than Ash. 

Initial edge on paper goes to Bond.

MATCH TWO: CAPTAIN AMERICA vs. WOLVERINE

Cole's pick of Steve Rogers makes this an interesting match-up.  It's one that's been done before, and it's still too close to call definitively in my book.  First, look at Captain America.  The man injected with the only known dosage of the Super Soldier serum has heightened reflexes and strength beyond that of the average man.  He is a brilliant tactician and military strategist, having survived and participated in every major conflict up to the first Persian Gulf conflict.  Rogers masterminded the resistance movement of Marvel's Civil War and nearly took down the Tony Stark-led S.H.I.E.L.D., the Thunderbolts, and the Initiative squads with his band of "rebel Avengers" before finally giving himself to the authorities in exchange for amnesty for his men. 

Captain America's shield is his defining weapon.  It is made of an unbreakable alloy that seems to have the ability to smash through anything.  For the purposes of this fight, we are assuming the shield has at least a 50% adamantium composition since only adamantium can cut adamantium.  Practice has allowed Captain America to throw the shield with unerring accuracy for a projectile weapon, as well as a blunt force trauma weapon. 

James Howlett, a.k.a. Logan, a.k.a. Wolverine, is a mutant with several distinctive abilities.  The first and most noticeable to the average observer are his adamantium claws.  Each claw can be separately retracted and extended with a thought, and can cut through anything.  Wolverine's entire skeleton is fused with an adamantium alloy, making his bone structure nearly indestructable. 

Wolverine's second ability is his mutant healing factor.  As Cole correctly stated, the healing factor makes Wolverine nearly indestructable.  He has survived the equivalent of a nuclear blast and managed to re-generate.  Bullets to his brain have only caused amnesia.  There is a severe question as to whether Wolverine can be killed. 

Third, Wolverine has displayed feral senses of smell and taste.  He can track down an individual by scent alone, and can taste a microgram of poison before actually ingesting a LD-50 level dosage. 

Wolverine is also proficient in CQC.  He's served with the American military, Canada's Alpha Flight team, and the Weapon X program.  While it is unsure how old Wolverine actually is, there's evidence to state that he may have fought in conflicts from the Civil War to Vietnam before joining up with the X-Men and later the Avengers. 

Early edge here narrowly goes to Wolverine, because he has no qualms about taking life.  Steve Rogers does, and I don't think that's going to serve him well in a duel to the death.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Bruce campbell...duh :P
no sean connery makes chuck norris look like a little girl. a real question is sean connery vs. clint east wood.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline Sam Slater

• Patas
  • a.k.a. 'Disciple'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »
Haven't forgotten about this. 

It's just very hard to come up with a scenario where Cap and Wolvie would have to battle to the death.

Ash and Bond is about finished though.