Author Topic: Diet Evaluation  (Read 738 times)

Young Master Ferrell

Diet Evaluation
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
For a general healthy diet..how is this:

6am : 1cup oats, 1cup blueberries, 10 crushed walnuts, 2tbs flax, 1tbs honey, 1tsp cinnamin
         2eggs

10am: Cheese

12pm: two palm sized servings chicken breast, boiled, with 1/2 an avacado
         large bowl of salad with olive oil and vinegar
         1 apple w/ 1/2c nonfat cottage cheese

3pm: celery and peanut butter

6pm: 2 palm sized servings beef
       2 carrots, 1c green beans, 1/2 onion
       1c pineapple cubed

9pm: yogurt with raspberries and strawberries

I think I can eat this way for $200 month.
If anyone has a suggestion for improving the diet, making it easier to prepare or doing it cheaper, let me know! I ate like this today and I feel good. I am going to not deviate much over the net few weeks to instill good eating patterns.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Diet Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:54 PM »
The only issue is the oats in the morning, but so long as they're carefully managed they're not that big of a concern.  The real issue of grains is to not make them a staple.  Though oats are OKAY in that respect, it wouldn't hurt to pile on more egg and cut them out.

Now for one day this is pretty good, but when you talk in terms of diet you really can't set out a routine like you do in strength training.  Rather, variety is a huge bonus.  Not only does it keep food interesting and delicious, but also allows us to eliminate gaps in the diet.  Learning to cook would definitely help (I suppose we should finish that APK cookbook :P).  The body is more of a general forager when it comes down to it.  We can eat such a huge variety of foods packed full of different types of nutrients, so why settle for a narrow view of just a few things?

This is why sticking to a few guidelines is the best approach.

Though, if you're wondering, you're close to being on track.  There are a few things that poke out at me.  The first meal is mostly carbohydrate/fat, then the second meal is protein/fat, then the third with carbohydrate/protein.  Which is why I suggested for there to be more egg in place of the oats, so you cut back on carbs and increase protein.  But I guess it really does come down to what works for you - which can only be found out through experimentation.