Author Topic: Touring around Colorado  (Read 1283 times)

Offline trebuchet

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Touring around Colorado
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:54 PM »
Hello, I'm new here, but have been doing parkour for half a year pretty actively.  I go to school up at the University of Wyoming, and have been a regular at the jams up there when school is in session.  When school isn't going on, I live in Golden, although I have yet to go to any COPK jams or do much more than hop around on Cat Fountain.  I would like to meet some Colorado people to run around with, and that is what this thread is about.

I am one of those chosen few lucky enough to get a job this summer, which has just begun.  My job consists entirely of filling in holes in the road.  Beggars, it seems, are in no position to be choosers.  However, this job has a very interesting stipulation: The holes are part of a pavement testing operation, which spans the entire state.  Every week I'm headed to a different corner of the state, perform some limited work, and then drive someplace else in a day or two.  This leaves me with a lot of free time in unfamiliar places.  And since spending all my free time cooped up in a hotel room staring at glowing rectangles seems like a poor expenditure of time, I have chosen to explore these little towns and see what kind of potential they have for parkour.

The ultimate goal of this thread is to encourage people to go to new parts of town or out of town entirely and try interacting with new environments.  I will be posting descriptions, and if I remember, pictures of every town I visit, which is covering quite a bit of the state.  I will post where I am going to be before I get there, so if someone here happens to be in that town, we could have a grand old time together.

Today, I am in Rangely.  I just got back from running aimlessly through town, and discovered that there is quite a bit of interesting terrain around.  At the high school, there are picnic tables and planters arranged in such a way that you can get really creative with precisions and vaults, and there's a nice place for working on wallruns near the entrance.  There are some pretty challenging underbars on a nearby set of bleachers, and some interesting wall/bar combinations at the other set of bleachers.  A couple empty lots nearby have nice high handrails for working on balance or linking two vaults together in quick succession.  About a block away, the little park between the library and chamber of commerce has nice picnic tables of varying heights and lengths, and it looks like a couple nice long precisions.  Apparently there is a community college in town, which I am trying to find, as I bet there's some good stuff over there too.  Tomorrow, I will try to hit all these places again with a camera, to try and get some record of the potential spots here.

Schedule:
6/21-6/23: Rangely
6/23-6/25: Steamboat Springs
6/26-6/27: Home for weekend, maybe visiting Laramie
6/28-7/2: Will find out tomorrow

Offline trebuchet

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Touring around Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:45 AM »
OK, sorry for the lack of updates, life has been rather busy lately.

Steamboat: I tried to split Steamboat up into two days given the size of the city.  The first day I spent in the center of town, close to the Yampa.  There were a few interesting looking buildings, in particular the Yampa Valley Power Company building caught my eye for its parking garage, ramps, and interesting roof layout.  There was a building, I think a telecom, that had a tall concrete tower with a seam running along it part of the way up.  It looks like a good wall run would get you up to the seam, and you could get to the roof from there.  However, most of the buildings in downtown Steamboat were not conducive to climbing or jumping around upon.  It certainly didn't help that there was major construction on main street at the time, which made access to some places difficult and really slowed down my progress through the city.  I spent a fair portion of time playing around on the other side of the river, on the bike path and at the base of Howelson Hill.  The tunnel under the train tracks had a gentle slope leading up to it, with concrete walls along the side the whole way, which would make a wonderful area for working on sizing up your jumps and working on pop vaults.  After that I decided to scale Howelson, and found a few things of interest.  There are three ski jumps on the front of Howelson Hill, two of which are not in use any more.  These jumps had rails running along them, to keep the skier going straight off the jump.  These proved to be wonderful for balancing, as it starts off flat and gets progressively steeper the farther you go.  other than that, there's plenty of potential for running down the hill and adapting to obstacles as you meet them, which is always fun.  There are a few picnic tables at the base, and gazebos, but nothing terribly noteworthy.  Back across the river, there's a park with a playground, which isn't as nice as one further downthis post, but still not bad.

I was planning to explore a little further up the mountain the next day, like perhaps at the base area where I know there are all kinds of stairs and railings to play with, but when it came down to it, I was too exhausted by this point in the week.  From what I remember of past visits though, the base area had a few interesting looking challenges, and if anyone feels up to investigating, you should let me know what you find.

On Monday, I hit Burlington.  It's about ten miles from Kansas.  Driving through town, I was intrigued by the large silos and accompanying buildings, but did not hit them as most of them seemed kind of risky.  I was about to give up for the day when I ran across their playground.  Actually, to call this thing a playground is insulting, it's a fortress.  It rests in a park that covers four square blocks, and it easily fills a quarter of that space by itself.  This had everything: precisions, wall runs, places for vaults, cat leaps, you name it, you could find a place to do it here. A wonderful place to practice and try out new things.  I took the opportunity to practice wall runs and tic tacs into cats, which was really nice given the extensive area covered by the second floor providing tons of space to work with.

Tuesday, I went south to Lamar. Unfortunately, I had twisted my ankle so I took this day off to heal.  Interesting town though, some of the buildings I passed by looked intriguing.  I'm sure this town has a lot to offer, but I just wasn't able to find it in favor of preserving strength.  I will be returning here, so perhaps more promising news to come.

Wednesday: Trinidad.  Didn't find much.  Fantastic little town, but the potential for parkour was kind of limited by the architecture.  There was a church in the center of town that had some interesting railings and maybe wall run potential, and there is a little community college than might have some more promising stuff, but beyond that I didn't see much.  If anyone is from there or knows this town, feel free to prove otherwise.

And finally, I spent Thursday in Walsenburg.  Nice little town, but again limited parkour potential.  I didn't even see any parks.  I think the problem is that there isn't very much public space in these smaller towns, and I don't do parkour on private property in a state with Make My Day Laws  :)

Spent the weekend in Laramie, off work today, tomorrow I'm in Colorado Springs for the day.  It looks like the overnight stays are finished for the summer, with the exception of one return trip to Lamar because we didn't have the proper paperwork to do our job there last time.  So hopefully I will get to reevaluate the city.  With pictures!  Unfortunately, that's probably the last city a considerable distance from Denver I will be able to explore this summer.  Next update will have pictures, I promise.