Author Topic: Would I be in over my head?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Daemon Gildas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Would I be in over my head?
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »
Well, I'm just gonna be honest here; I'm 22 years old, but very overweight. Maybe not like a "walking mountain" or anything, but definitely not "just a few pounds heavy". I've always had a difficult time trying to lose weight, since I have a hard time staying motivated. Thing is, "parkour" is really the first physical activity I've never heard of, that I thought to myself "that actually looks fun". Nothing fancy like all those YouTube videos, but seems like it would be cool to actually experience that kind of... freedom?

But then again, like I say, I'm by no means physically fit, and while I'm definitely working on getting there, part of me wonders if trying to get into this "parkour-ing" would be just asking for trouble, at least until I'm *already* fit? The big thing, like I said, it's the first thing (outside of the military, and... ahem... ladies) that actually made me feel inspired to get in shape for; so it's kind of debating the motivation, versus the risk of being unprepared and getting seriously hurt.

So... any feedback? Good or bad, honesty is always appreciated :)

Offline Brian Gif Galvez

• Mangabey
  • Working Hard and Hardly Working
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100001088661451&ref=profile
Re: Would I be in over my head?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
First thing you might want to check gorilla pk anyone can do parkour (by the way its not a verb) being fit is a bonus but nothing can stop you unless you are like paralyzed. What some people argue on or debate it doing parkour as the whole like everyday and getting in shape while doing it or exercising normally to get fit for parkour personally i do the ladder of the two. But to each his own. But yeah GORILLA PK ITS on the home page just scroll down.

BTW thanks to the 100 people who looked at this and didnt respond im sorry Daemon for that

Offline Harmachis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Not much to add to what Brian said.  Just to agree.  There are all levels of fitness, just like all age groups.  Just listen to your body as you train, take your time and you will do fine.

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:29:53 AM »
just dont over do it and you should be fine. happy training ;D

Offline Gavin Barnes

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
Just start small and work your way up.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”-Bruce Lee

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »
Here's the link to Gorilla PK. You should find this inspiring and informative.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,211.0.html