Author Topic: So I guess this is farewell...  (Read 10439 times)

Offline Josh Wright

• Hirundo Rustica
  • A world is out there to explore!
    • View Profile
Re: So I guess this is farewell...
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »
That's terrible man, but I don't think you'll ever be able to quit to Parkour. Everyone starts at Point A trying to get to Point B. It may be something as simple as vaulting over a rail or it could be something as tough as dealing with such an injury. You'll find your Point B, whatever it may be!

Take care

Offline ehk16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Determined.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »
don't give up bro! you still have quadrupedal movement (low impact) & upper body strength & rolls. You could also pick up some break dancing. Think about it...could be much worse, although I feel real bad for you and wish the best for you. Keep moving.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
Good luck man. Never give up! That's the key. Just because you can't use your ankle doesn't mean its goodbye to parkour. The philosophy will always stick with you. You will always be a traceur! This is just another obstacle, you will find a way past it. You still have your other ankle right? Adapt your style to suit low impact landings and use your other ankle to take most of it. Always keep hope. As Dan said stem cell research looks very promising. So a few years down the line there could be a way to fix it. The community will be behind you  every step of the way. Just never ever give up. That's the worst thing you could do.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »
If you have the MRI slides mind if I take a look at them?

Sometimes docs tell you to stop activity when there is some ways to rehab it.

PM me a link if you are because I'll unlikely check the thread again.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

rocketman

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uc7STPsnjw&sns=em . There is always a way, and if you have the will, which I know you do, you'll find it.
Good luck, and I wish you a speedy and miraculous recovery :D
Tom

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't get the MRI slides; all I got was a summary of what they found in the MRI. I'm making another appointment with my ankle doctor to see what I can do. It's going to progress to osteoarthritis when I get older, regardless, so I'm going to talk to him about possibly just doing light, low impact training with a supportive ankle brace. I also looked at a couple possible surgeries. They're only temporary, but at the very least they'll delay the onset of the osteoarthritis, and they might give me another few years of pain-free movement.

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 07:37:39 PM »
Yamakasi +1 for you in every set I do. You're in my prayers.

I don't even know what I would do if I was told I couldn't do parkour anymore.
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
I shall alsodo one extra rep. And when I'm training I will do one more vault too

hope you get better asap bro.

Also isn't stem cell research being uses more in other countries?
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
What I love about this is the family vibe APK represents.  Even though some of us barely know Jack, we're taking on the arduous task of Yamakasi-ing every conditioning workout we do until he returns. 

That not only speaks to our determination to the art, but also to our sincere desire to see Jack Kendall get better. 

For those of you who have taken up what I now call the "Kendall Challenge," I salute you.  It's tough, but you will be a better traceur for it.

Jack, your family is behind you!  The APK family, that is.  Stay strong, keep the faith.  We're here for ya anytime.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
Definitely bro!

And as a side not I like your "prayer" Chris 
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline SafeNSure

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • BAparkour
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
I'll probably stick around and help out some of the new guys, because I feel obligated to give back as much as you guys have given to me.
Everybody deserves to be able to get back into what they love after a mishap or accident, but the feeling that you expressed above makes you completely worthy of it...
For that I not only wish you best, or do an extra rep, but I salute you.

Good luck and keep "being strong, being useful"!

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
Stay strong, bro, you're in my prayers. As for what you said earlier, handstands and bars are definitely parkour- you're working to get from point A to point B in the only (one of the only) way(s) you can. Just do what you can and always keep your head up. A boy gets knocked down, a man gets back up. Again.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't get the MRI slides; all I got was a summary of what they found in the MRI. I'm making another appointment with my ankle doctor to see what I can do. It's going to progress to osteoarthritis when I get older, regardless, so I'm going to talk to him about possibly just doing light, low impact training with a supportive ankle brace. I also looked at a couple possible surgeries. They're only temporary, but at the very least they'll delay the onset of the osteoarthritis, and they might give me another few years of pain-free movement.

I'd get the slides and get them to Steve...  He knows what he's doing.

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Alright, I'm scheduling another appointment, so I'll ask him for the slides when I talk with him.

Thanks for all your support, guys and girls.  :)

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
if all else fails we'll equip you with the braces from portal =D
"Parkour: We Turned Running From The Cops Into A Sport." -Angel Castillo

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 06:24:05 AM »
is it just the impact?

you can always do parkour slowly with no impact. just no running, jumps or impacts of any kind.

if not you can always take to climbing, or something like that. just dont stop moving :D

sorry my dude, thats rough.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »
Parkour is a method of training. That means you can adjust it however you need, in order to continue to improve yourself as an individual. Doesn't need to be movement, and especially not impact-based movement. Become a beast at climbing. Master your balance. Visualize for half an hour a day instead of training. Work on upper body. You have the opportunity to be an innovator and an inspiration to other people who fall into your kind of situation. Remember, this injury isn't an obstacle, its an opportunity. Do something with it. :)

When you fall, all of us are here to help you back up. But you can always choose to continue your own way and become strong again. I know you can. So does everyone else, here.

God bless you on your recovery. But a farewell? On the contrary, I look forward to hearing from you often and seeing how you're doing, and what kind of new things you're discovering.

Take care, brother.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Fyrel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
I've had nightmares about this kind of stuff before; it's terrifying to think that you're going through possibly not being able to do parkour again.  :'( I've been doing extra reps for you as well, and I'll see if I can't make the rest of BAPK's South Bay group do them too. ;)

Offline Michael Perrigo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
Get well soon :'(
Strive for what you believe in...If you believe in it that strongly, you won't stop striving...no matter what obstacles you face.

Offline Ivan Gajic

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
extra rep from me as well.  Also i hope that after that next appointment we hear some bright news, and if not, like everyone's been saying you can still practice low impact to no impact, really hope things get better though.
"Confess your hidden faults.
Approach what you find repulsive.
Help those you think you cannot help.
Anything you are attached to, let it go.
Go to places that scare you."-Advice from her teacher to the Tibetan Yogini Machik Labdron